Dream goal or achievable goal?

Options
When I joined MFP I automatically set my goal as my pre-kids weight of 130lbs. Having lost 10lbs and reached the half way mark I'm wondering if I should re-assess this.

I've set my goal at a hard but "achievable" level. However I'm quite pleased with how well I'm doing on MFP so shouldn't I push myself and see if I can achieve my dream goal, which would be an additional 6lbs. I was this weight for about a week 10 years ago (!) and it felt fantastic! I would couple this with a target body fat of 20%, so I would have a nice neat goal of 20:20 (BMI and body fat - we could start a 20:20 club! :smile: ) I'm 39 so I sort of figure if I don't go for it now I never will!

So, is your goal one you can realistically reach, or are you going all out for the ultimate, but possibly unattainable, goal?

Replies

• tyienna
    tyienna Posts: 39
    Options
    What I would do is leave your goal where it is. Once you hit that goal then set a new goal. This will keep you from getting upset if it gets to hard to reach your new goal. Make one goal at a time and run with it. Stay positive and anything is possible!
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I originally had set what I thought for a year was unattainable because I was trying so hard and wasn't seeing enough weight loss so I changed it to 10 less pounds. However, I have now reached the second more attainable goal and now I totally know that with enough discipline I can reach my original goal. So. . . my once unatainable goal is now my very much so attainable goal!
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    What I would do is leave your goal where it is. Once you hit that goal then set a new goal. This will keep you from getting upset if it gets to hard to reach your new goal. Make one goal at a time and run with it. Stay positive and anything is possible!

Exactly what I did!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options

I agree....prior to my wedding I had lost 50 pounds, which was great....I looked great and felt great, but I was determined to lose that final 15 to my ultimate goal. Instead of being happy with what I lost, I stressed about losing that last 15, and ended up gaining 13 before the wedding and another 20 after. Be happy with what you have, reach your first goal first and then reassess from there accordingly.
  • sjdoman
    sjdoman Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is also my pre-pregnancy weight from 12 years ago. Prior to having kids I was always thin and I think getting back to that weight is achievable for me. I have lost 23 lbs and have 9 to go. I know my body will never look the same as it did back then but it can be better than where I'm at right now.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to choose a goal that you will be able to easily maintain. It's one thing to reach a goal and something completely different to maintain it. I noticed as I aged, I was unable to maintain my college weight of 125 lbs. After 4 kids, I'd be happy to be back to my pre-kid weight and just maintain it (I'm only a few pounds off!). I don't want to 'diet' for the rest of my life. Make sense?
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    You are a very wise bunch! And there only seems to be the one opinion. Thank you for all your comments. Those of you who are not far from your goal weights are really inspiring - thanks guys!

Looks like I'll be sticking with my original goal.

Still like my 20:20 idea though! :)