why can I never get under 180lb?

Options
I have never got below it my whole adult life. even when I had a illness that nearly killed me I lost weight but that's what I got down to. am I the only one? my doctor says I should be under 140 and that I must eat to much. any ideas why would be great.

Replies

• bugzinc
    bugzinc Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's mental? Theres something stopping you from going past that extra mile...Youve lost 14 lbs so far? Thats great!
    Up your cardio maybe....Its hard to say without more details..I know for me, I really have to go extra hard to hit my weight...I've done it a few times before but it took booku dedication to attain...I say just dont give up! Stay focused, watch the calories, and make sure you get the most calories OUT possible.
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    178 here...same thing. so frustrated because I feel I've tried everything at this point. Exercise, eating less, eating more, no exercise, new exercise, more water, less water...you name it, I've been there. Once out of the blue, I weighed 174 and I about fell over. Next day I weighed myself....178. This went on for over 2 years and then I gave up and gained 16...just got off the 16 and now I'm at....178 (for 5 weeks now).
  • michbiase
    michbiase Posts: 10
    Options
    I used to think the same thing! My body always naturally seems to settle a certain weight. But I will tell you that it is possible. I have surpassed my "stuck weight" by 30lbs. Not sure what your diary and exercise routines look like, but you may have to up your activity, maybe try adding weights, and really watch your food. Lots of lean protien and healthy carbs (veggies). Just know that it is possible, it's just a hurdle you have to push through. Good Luck
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    The number for my body was 170. It seemed to just love it there. I had to really watch what I was eating and change up my exercise routine and I finally busted through it. Now I have been at 160 for a while and will need to revamp again to continue my journey. Good luck!
  • chach918
    chach918 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was stuck at 205 . What I did to break pass that was go to 1800 calories a day instead of 2000 that was suggested. I also went to burning 1500 calories a week from 1200. Did not eat those calories either. good luck
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    your not eating enough! i just looked at your diary! i'm shocked!!!! 1200 is the minimum for a small sedentry woman, and your not even eating that! You should eat your calories from exersise back! on days i know i'm going to the gym, i log my exersie in the morning , then have bigger meals those days!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10589-for-those-confused-or-questioning-eating-your-exercise-calo

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

This is just a part of it! please read the link above

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat....never could get past 210, I did once only after being sick but then right back to 210. No I am happy to say I am at 191, I just keep changin up what I do for exercise and keep changing what I eat. The idea is to alwasy keep my body guessing what I am going to do next!
  • dmmsquared
    Options
    You might want to try turning on sodium in your food diary. You will probably be shocked at how much sodium you actually eat a day. Once I started watching my sodium intake, I really noticed a difference.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Could be your biological set point which is difficult to get past. However, once you push through it your body can have a lower settling (as opposed to set) point.

Read this for more info:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/set-points-settling-points-and-bodyweight-regulation-part-1.html
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    OR JUST EAT MORE!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    What is your doctor basing the 140lbs on? BMI? How tall are you? Do you have a heavier frame? There are so many factors to be considered. Not everyone fits the BMI mold. If you are healthy and able to maintain that weight with a healthy diet and exercise, then I don't think you have a problem.
  • my3kidos
    my3kidos Posts: 19
    Options
    OR JUST EAT MORE!

Gotta say I agree with this. Eating only 700-800 cals a day is going to kill your metabolism- IMHO.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    OR JUST EAT MORE!

Gotta say I agree with this. Eating only 700-800 cals a day is going to kill your metabolism- IMHO.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    OR JUST EAT MORE!

Sorry,

Yes, you need to eat more, and more often. You are losign muscle and not losing fat. Your body will hold on to fat because it needs it for energy. You are in constant starvation mode.
  • blackdragonclare
    Options
    OR JUST EAT MORE!

I know I should but I feel guilty when I do. is that odd alsoeveryone keeps telling me to eat less (drs, mum health visitor) so I now feel scared to eat that much if i reach 1000 i feel guilty . I have never been a big eater and always been ovwr weight its not fair!!

oh my dr bases it on my height as he says I have small shoulders
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I do agree - looked at your food diary - if anything, try it out for 2-3 weeks..try and get as close to 1200 as you can NET calories (this is after exercise). See if that helps. Maybe put the scale away and only takte it out once a week. And I see you are exercisin so measure yourself so when the scale isn't your friend, you can see the results through a tape measure.

I'm starting something new this week as adviced from a MFP friend...eating about 1100 calories back and when exercising, eating 200-300 cals back. Hoping it makes a difference once and for all. :)

Good luck to you and feel free to add me for support. :flowerforyou:
  • my3kidos
    my3kidos Posts: 19
    Options
    Why not just try? Seriously- what have you got to lose (no pun intended-lol)? I would give it some time and eat a healthy range of calories. Make sure you are tracking diligently and eat as close to natural foods as possible.