Anyone else have back issues?

Options
Hello, my name is Wendy. I have scoliosis which somewhat prohibits me from doing a lot of different exercises. Also, recently I've learned that my lower vertebrae are starting to fuse to my hip. I see my chiropractor 3x a week and it's getting so much more bearable! Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else might suffer similar issues and am wondering what types of exercises they do? I'm not to do any jarring-type, so no crazy jumping exercises. Walking is about the only thing that doesn't give me much discomfort, although I still can't go far before I hurt. It's driving me crazy....I sit and wonder why?

Replies

• karilynn27
    karilynn27 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I also have a scoliosis in my upper spine and some lower back issues. Losing the weight has put less stress on my back for sure and that has really helped so much! I no longer wake up in pain.
    What I do is walk the treadmill at a high incline a lot and also work on a elliptical. I don't do aerobics because of the same reason but those machines work just fine for me!
  • mysterg
    mysterg Posts: 2
    Options
    I recently bought a pair of "toner" shoes to walk in. I'm not sure if they are helping to tone anything but they have made most of my back pain go away.
  • Surtec
    Surtec Posts: 5
    Options
    Good for you for being persistent! You can only do what your body will allow you to do so be sure to listen to it! Congratulations on your weight loss so far...keep up the good work! How about swimming or water aerobics....deep water aerobics there is no contact. :smile: :smile:
  • lkyeomans
    lkyeomans Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have two herniated disks (L4 and L5). When I first had my injury I wasn't able to lift a gallon of milk or 2 liter bottle of soda. I walked as much as I could, but yes walking hurt after only a little bit, so I went to the YMCA and did swim aerobics and laps. It helped alot and I was able to get some weight off which also helped alot. Hope you are able to find something that works for you. It can be a vicious circle if you don't find something to help get you out and moving. I wish you all the best.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a pair of "toner" shoes to walk in. I'm not sure if they are helping to tone anything but they have made most of my back pain go away.

Which brand did you get? I've been thinking about getting some Sketchers. :smile:

I've developed two bulging discs in my back this past year so had to give up my running. :sad: I did step aerobics last night and that didn't seem to irritate my back.

Good luck to you! :flowerforyou:
  • kristanickerson
    kristanickerson Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I also have scoliosis in lower and upper but not as severe...I do run but was looking into other things in case my joints begin to not like it. A great option I read about is deep water aquacise!!! if you have a place near you that offers that please look into it. It's virtually no impact on your joints but the water creates extra resistance for your muscles. You don't have to know how to swim either from what I've read they use floatation devices. The article I read was from a runner who had knee surgery but during her recovery didn't want to lose her muscle tone or ability to run.
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I also have back issues sometimes - but I think it's directly linked to my weight. before my yo-yo when I had kept the weight off, I felt a lot better and never had back pains, even though my posture was horrid! Hah, I'm looking to get back down to at least 145 so I can lose the pain and feel amazing!
  • george1957
    george1957 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi Wendy,
    I am a new member of myfitnesspal.com and have just come across your message on the community page.
    You mention that you suffer from scoliosis. I am a Cranio Sacral Therapist who has treated clients suffering from scoliosis.
    Cranio Sacral Therapy is a very gentle non envasive therapy which may be of help to you.
    Please don't think that i'm trying to push my treatments on you but you may want to have a chat with a Cranio Sacral Therapist that works in your home town.
    Most cases of scoliosis are considered to be of unknown origin (idiopathic).
    CranioSacral Therapy helps unravel the mystery by seeking the cause within the craniosacral and fascial systems of the body. Compromising strain patterns of those systems can be major contributors to the creation and persistence of scoliosis.
    Best wishes,
    George
  • Bullitt4424
    Options
    I had back surgery back in 2000 and had my L4-5 disc removed. I can definately empathize with you on the back pain. Currently traditional sit-ups cause pain and numbness in my left leg. I have switched to doing the crunches on the exercise ball and while they do not work the same muscle groups I can do to exhaustion without numbness and pain.
    Alot of traditional exercises can still be done if modified. For example I can ride the upright bike but not the recumbant bike. I can do bench press instead of push ups. when I do the one arm dumbbell rows placing my other arm on my knee reduces the strain on the lower back.
    Just remember each back injury is different and you need to find out what will work for you.
  • skramer13
    skramer13 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've got scoliosis in my lower back, and often can't do very much without it starting to hurt, too. The way it was explained to me is because the spine is out of line, the surrounding muscles are both pushed out of the way and trying to compensate for the curve in order to continue giving you support, and basically forget how to relax. When I lie on my stomach, the muscles on the left side of my spine are actually a bit (visibly) higher than the right.

Like one of the previous posters, I've got a pair of toning shoes, too (the original Skechers Shape-Ups), and they do seem to relieve some of the pressure. I've also been in and out of physical therapy, where I was able to get a prescription for a TENS unit. If you can get your hands on one, I HIGHLY recommend it. Between the TENS unit and a heating pad, I can usually keep the pain under control. Another good way to relax the muscles is to turn the water in the shower as hot as you can handle it and just let it run down your back for the last few minutes of your shower. While you're doing this, try to slowly stretch as much as you can; touching your toes, arching your back, etc. Hope this helps!
  • TLC1975
    TLC1975 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I too...herniated disc at L5..2 yrs of constant pain, I can so relate! I also was not a candidate for surgery, so they told me to wait it out..ya ok.....and like some of the others, running is no longer something I will be able to do.. I did for to physio, they took away some of the pain, and allowed me to stand up straighter, but it didn't allow me to get back into training......I am now with a personal trainer who specializes in muscle reactivation therapy, and it has done wonders! I stand straight, no pain...and more flexibility and recently ran a few laps around a track.....its a slow process..but I WILL be able to do exercises I couldnt do last year......if you get the right treatment almost anything is possible..
  • MrsWendyQ
    MrsWendyQ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys! I want to incorporate some new things...maybe your ideas are just what I need. The idea about the stationary bike might just work, I've never been a good bike rider (I think bc of my balance issues) and that could be fun. I doubt that I'd be able to hack a treadmill at a steep angle, I'm supposed to avoid hills bc it makes my back hunch over and do all the work and not my legs. I am interested in the cranial-sacral therapy, how does it work? What do they do?