Self conscious eating?

Options
I find that I'm eating more like I used to in front of my fiancee and co-workers so I don't have to explain all the time about why I'm eating healthier. Did anyone else have this problem in the beginning? I eat what I want (healthier) when I'm alone, but especially when I eat dinner with my fiancee I feel like I need to eat as much as him like I used to. Any help on this? I'd really appreciate it!

Replies

• JettD3
    JettD3 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is a tough thing for me to overcome also. It sucks when you are getting ready to grill a nice healthy salmon steak then all of the sudden your wife decides she wants a pizza! Sucks.... I hope you find some recommendations... It would help me also,,,
  • delilahthegoddess
    Options
    Be honest with everyone. If you feel the need to hide what you are or aren't eating there may be a reason . When I hid what I was eating it was because I was hiding ,my eating disorder. Best of luck.
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I let everyone know in my life that I was eating healthy from now on. I do still occasionally indulge in pizza and similar stuff, but in much smaller portions. This is MY body and my lifestyle change. I don't push it on other people, I just don't let them push the bad stuff on me either.
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    If you can be...be proud...proud that you are choosing healthier food, and normal portions, I have a million questions at work, and I explain why I'm doing this whether they like it or not, its not them putting the food in their mouths.
  • Jenipenny
    Jenipenny Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yeh I am the same, some of my work mates were asking why I had stopped haveing milk in my tea and why I was bringing my own lunch in and making me feel self conscious, but hopeing to get over that soon
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    I have family that insists on take out and delivery on the weekends when we all get together. My husband loves coming home to a cooked meal everyday. When I first started my lifestyle change, I told myself that this is for ME! and if the people I love aren't on board with my new lifestyle than I was going to have to start spending more time alone. I stood my ground and my husband has completely changed his eating habits too. This past weekend when my family was all getting together they all brought fresh meats and veggies and fruits and we had a build your own salad or wrap day and this was without my recommendations. I have found that once I stood up for myself and they seen the positive changes happening in my life they were very accepting and now mostly supportive of my lifestyle.

(I had a movie night with my daughter last night to watch the new movie Tangled on DVD and when I asked her what she wanted for our movie night she answered 'veggie burgers and boiled potatoes'. I couldn't be more proud of my 8 year old! I think most kids might have said pizza and junk food. Our decisions to be healthy can be great examples if we choose to openly make the choices.)
  • Jengenery
    Options
    Hi all,
    Look for new exciting healthy recipes :)
    When I was on slimming world and hubby was not he still ate the same evening meals as me because they were very nice, try searching for new ideas!
    Also I'm sure your OH, friends and family will understand if you just say you are wanting to eat healthier or just say you don't fancy what they having if it's not healthy.
    hope this helps a little
  • gorguslyjealous
    gorguslyjealous Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    That's always tough - but losing weight is a HARD lifestyle change that is going to take time and adjustment - ESPECIALLY when you're around people doing the same things you've always done. You just have to remember that YOU WANT THIS and that if the people around you love you/care about you, they're going to want to support you. It's going to be hard and not everyone is going to be a positive influence in your life - but half the battle is figuring out the way to do this ON YOUR OWN in the same lifestyle you've always lived. It's all about adjusting and putting yourself first!
  • tak123
    tak123 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This is all really good advice. Thanks! I don't have anything to hide, so I shouldn't. Good advice about just telling the truth. I guess I'm just nervous because I've before when I've lost weight I announced it, but then gained it all back. But I don't plan on that happening again. CallMeMama..that's so cute about your daughter! Aw! I would be proud too!