I'm confused!

Options
I get on the scale 2 times in a day . Once in the morning & once at night. ( Don't ask me why) Each time my scale is giving me a different weight, nothing drastic maybe about a 2-3 pound difference but I want to know my real weight! Is my scale broken, should I buy another? ( it's digital)

Replies

• GoJoMom2448
    Options
    It's normal for our weight to shift throughout the day....I wouldnt really worry about it....
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Weighing at different times of day will almost always give you different weights for many reasons:

-The amount of water in your body at the moment. The water in your body is constantly in flux, and water can swing your weight several pounds in a day. You hormones, sodium intake, carb intake and sweating can also change your current percentage of water weight.

-What you're wearing.

-When you last ate--that food and those fluids you've been taking in all day weigh something!

-When you last emptied your bowel and bladder.

It's recommended that you weigh yourself naked, first thing in the morning after voiding but before consuming and food or liquids for the most consistent readings. And try to only weigh once per week.
  • thefreemans28
    thefreemans28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Your "true weight" is how much you weigh first thing in the morning, naked, before you do much activity, eat, or drink.
  • kbeach08
    kbeach08 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Your weight does fluctuate through out the day with the food you eat and the activities you do throught the day. I weigh myself in the morning before I get in the shower, around the same time everytime. I don't weigh myself everyday because I just get frustrated so I am trying to only do it once a week. Everything I have seen online has said to weigh yourself in the morning also. Hope this helps.
  • fit4lyfe7
    fit4lyfe7 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. It's best to weigh yourself around the same time each day. I weigh myself first thing in the morning.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I won't ask you why because I do it too but you have to expect that everything you have consumed in the day weighs something. A 2-3 lb fluctuation is reasonable.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    There is really little purpose in weighing yourself at the end of the day if you did so at the beginning of the day because at the end of the day you are weight the food and water in minus the food and water out. It is likely your actual body weight has not changed that much, the difference is what you have eaten and drank through the day. If you want to keep doing weighing yourself at the end of the day, feel free as their is nothing wrong with it as long as it doesn't cause you to get all stressed because you put on weight through the day, but it is not a very useful number to record.
  • helen_baird
    helen_baird Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi ..u really ought to weigh urself once a week @ the same time and with the same clothes ...believe me it does help...otherwise it can so easilly put u off ur diet..hope this helps :smile:
  • Nakisha81
    Nakisha81 Posts: 24
    Options
    Thank you all! I will be getting on the scale first thing in the AM & only one time per week.
  • gorguslyjealous
    gorguslyjealous Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    It's definitely normal for your weight to switch throughout the day because if you're weighing yourself in the morning your body hasn't eaten in HOURS and is dehydrated (making it weigh less) - at night your hydrated and you've eaten throughout the day!! Also if you have to go to the bathroom that can make your weight fluctuate a few pounds. That's why it's SO important that you don't weigh yourself multiple times a day and get obsessed with it - AND it's important to weigh yourself only 1 - 2 times a week at the SAME time so that it can be as accurate as possible!
  • namrettik
    namrettik Posts: 127
    Options
    I also weigh before I go to bed and in the morning (I just like to know what my body's up to - too curious about myself, I guess). It's not an obsession, and I don't freak out about it. Simply curiosity.

My weight will be anywhere between no difference and two pounds between night and morning. Water weight, digestion, resting muscles, etc. accounts for the change.