Size difference in people

Options
I have recently lost 40 lbs since last June. I have about another 15 to go. To celebrate my success I went and bought myself a new wardrobe......well that was depressing. At Express I bought size 8 knit pants.... but couldn't even squeeze their size 12 jeans up my thighs...I wanted to puke. Then I went to gap and easily slid into their 10's. UGHHHHHH I'd be happy at size 6. I wonder if my extra 15lbs will make a difference?

I am 5'2 140lbs.
goal weight is 125

I should add I am curvy, small waist, wider hips.

Replies

• Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Definitly!!! I'd say once you reach your goal weight you should be into your size 6!
  • Quierstina
    Quierstina Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    My best girl friend is 5 ft 2 in and weights about 150 and wears a size 10 at the Limited and Express. She has a full bottom and no hips. Sizing is tricky but hopefully when you reach your ultimate goal you'll be in the size you want. Good Luck - Keep up the great work!
  • alex51026
    alex51026 Posts: 71
    Options
    Some clothes just fit different.... Its kinda crazy. At my heaviest I wore a 38 inch waist in some pants, 40 in others, and even 36 in others. It's crazy.

My wife is tiny, 5'4, 120, she wears a 0 in some pants, 2 in others, 4 in some, and juniors in others. If you is wearing a 4, then who the heck wear a zero?

I lost a lot of weight in my thighs/butt, some maybe after the extra 15 pounds you will be good to go!

I went from "junk in the trunk" to "no trunk"

Weird...
  • jsmjboertlein
    Options
    It's noyou it's the designers. I have 2 pair of size 7 jeans. One will fall to my ankles while bittoned and zipped and the other pair I can't even get over my butt let alone snap and zip.
  • samantharae121205
    Options
    all clothes are made different i can wear anywhere from a size 9 to 16 depending on the brand.
  • WashingtonGrown
    Options
    It's really going to vary place to place and of course on your body type. I'm 5'3" and 143 and my size 6 calvin Kleins are too big. My goal weight is 140-135 and I will be a true size 4. I've never had good luck at Gap though when it comes to pants, I tend to go with higher end when it comes to Denim. I love Nordstrom. Give it time, you will get to a size 6, 15lbs could = two pants sizes for you. It does for me. You've done such a great job, celebrate that, not the crappy sizing at the stores you've been to. Trust me I've been there. It's partly why I haven't gone shopping since I bought my size 6 pants 10lbs ago. I did just order a pair of size 5 jeans from a catalog, and I think I was a little ambitious so I could be disappointed as well.
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    You've got to remember that clothes from different stores, manufacturers, departments, etc, will fit differently. A size 6 isn't a size 6 at all stores, in all styles, etc. The MOST IMPORTANT THING is that you look and feel healthy to YOU. YOU are more than a size on a tag. Rip the damed tag out after you buy the pants and you'll never know the difference.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with wanting to lose another 15lbs. That will still put you in a healthy weight range and if you feel good there than that's where you should be. But don't let a tiny imperfect number invented by people that is different everywhere you go define your happiness. Dress your body in clothes that make it look its best, don't stress over the number.
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    I have recently lost 40 lbs since last June. I have about another 15 to go. To celebrate my success I went and bought myself a new wardrobe......well that was depressing. At Express I bought size 8 knit pants....couldn't even squeeze their size 12's up my thighs...I wanted to puke. Then I went to gap and easily slid into their 10's. UGHHHHHH I'd be happy at size 6. I wonder if my extra 15lbs will make a difference?

I am 5'2 140lbs.
    goal weight is 125

I am 5'5 170lbs
    goal weight is 145
    and I wear a size 10 in Gap jeans

I stopped worrying about the size of the clothing I am wearing and started worrying more about just feeling good in my skin.
    I think this all depends on our bone structure too. You cant shrink your bones but trust me, if I could, I WOULD! Size 6 would be awesome. I bet your last 15 lbs will definitely put you in a smaller size but don't stress.
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Some clothes just fit different.... Its kinda crazy. At my heaviest I wore a 38 inch waist in some pants, 40 in others, and even 36 in others. It's crazy.

My wife is tiny, 5'4, 120, she wears a 0 in some pants, 2 in others, 4 in some, and juniors in others. If you is wearing a 4, then who the heck wear a zero?

I lost a lot of weight in my thighs/butt, some maybe after the extra 15 pounds you will be good to go!

I went from "junk in the trunk" to "no trunk"

Weird...

First, I'm jealous you want to "no trunk"..haha.

For the original poster- it's annoying, isn't it? Things in different stores are cut different ways, and sometimes even just a different pair of pants may sit a different way. Try not to go by the number of the pants you're wearing- it's not "standard" anymore. Go by how you feel and how happy you are with how you look! Awesome job, by the way!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Sizins unfortunantly is NOT standard through stores & even designers within the same stores. From many years of experience (shopping with my wonderful size 3 (5 at her biggest) sister as you can tell Im NOT anywhere near that) the stores geared at teens and 20s tend to run 1-2 sizes smaller then those geared towards "women" even the ones that dont carry much above a size 12.

Society is the ones that judges us by the numbe ron the tag, if the number bothers you THAT badly cut it out. Because you have made such great improvements.

I always get depressed when shopping because I have always been large busted, have hips & Thighs & butt, so something that fit the top wasw too big on the bottom and what fit my figure nicely my bust couldnt fit into without having "hooker cleavage" Ive learned to either buy seperate pieces or simply get things tailored, its amazing how inexpensively you can find a good tailor!
  • samantharae121205
    Options
    You've got to remember that clothes from different stores, manufacturers, departments, etc, will fit differently. A size 6 isn't a size 6 at all stores, in all styles, etc. The MOST IMPORTANT THING is that you look and feel healthy to YOU. YOU are more than a size on a tag. Rip the damed tag out after you buy the pants and you'll never know the difference.

That being said, there's nothing wrong with wanting to lose another 15lbs. That will still put you in a healthy weight range and if you feel good there than that's where you should be. But don't let a tiny imperfect number invented by people that is different everywhere you go define your happiness. Dress your body in clothes that make it look its best, don't stress over the number.

i barely even look at the sizes anymore. im pretty good at eyeballing jeans to see if the fit me or not.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I really like the idea of ripping the rags out after buying them. Thats an awesome idea. The jeans I'm wearing in my profile picture are the 10's from Gap.
  • Stefani74
    Stefani74 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Body type or the way the clothes are made...just depends. I have two friends that are approx. the same height and weight 5'3, 140 lbs. We all three are built totally different and wear different sizes. I wear 5's and 7's and they range from size 7-12. Even some of my 5's, which are the same brand, fit differently. Three pair I know I am gonna have to lose at least 5-10 more lbs to be able to wear comfortably and a couple pair are getting loose.