Strength training for women

Options
I just need some help to get started and I know that there are alot of people on here with a great knowledge of fitness....so please help!!!! I have been running for about a year and I would like to start to incorporate total body strength training on top of the cardio. I don't want to build alot of muscle, I just need to become a little bit leaner, the running just isn't doing it by itself anymore. I will be working out 4 days a week and will have around 45 minutes for running and 45 minutes for strength training. I would love any tips on a good program to follow or a good way to get started, I would really like to do this the right way! Thank you !!!!!

Replies

• mroper1
    mroper1 Posts: 10
    Options
    I bought Bob Harpers Inside Out DVD, it is an awesome strength training workout. There are 2 programs on it, a 20 minute one to build you up to the 60 minute one. All you need is a mat and some hand weights. Only $9 at Wal-Mart!
  • HLRoberts1987
    HLRoberts1987 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I just need some help to get started and I know that there are alot of people on here with a great knowledge of fitness....so please help!!!! I have been running for about a year and I would like to start to incorporate total body strength training on top of the cardio. I don't want to build alot of muscle, I just need to become a little bit leaner, the running just isn't doing it by itself anymore. I will be working out 4 days a week and will have around 45 minutes for running and 45 minutes for strength training. I would love any tips on a good program to follow or a good way to get started, I would really like to do this the right way! Thank you !!!!!

Last summer all I wanted to do was get lean muscle and so I bought P90X. As long as you do lower weight and alot of reps you will have the lean muscle you are looking for. Its a 3 month program and workout 6 days a week. however the discs are about an hour long each and then 3-4 days a week you have a 15 min ab video on top of that. The results for me were amazing.
  • seobstar
    seobstar Posts: 169
    Options
    Jillian Michaels...check it out on Amazon, she has TONS and they are all AMAZING! your muscles will be toned and tighter within a week! I LOVE her!!! check out 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30, No More Trouble Zones, they're all awesome!
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    The best thing I did for myself was buy a few sessions of personal training. I am learning new things to do and how to work out and it's REALLY paying off. We focus on circuit training, moderate weight high repetition, multi-muscle moves (like lunges and bicep curls at the same time), abdominals every day, and doing something different every day.
  • seobstar
    seobstar Posts: 169
    Options
    Lots of her DVDs are very short but very, very awesome results. Like 30 minutes a day and you'll be toned! Her longer ones are only about 45 minutes.
  • karenbreaux
    karenbreaux Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I recommend "The Firm" (www.firmdirect.com). It is geared towards a womans body and it is flexible in the amount of weights you want to use. I recommend a combination of 3, 5, and 8 lb weights, that will get you toned and not bulk you up. Once you feel like those weights are comfortable, you can go up to 5, 8, and 10 lbs to give you the upper and lower body strength you want and still not be bulky.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    30 Day Shred is a good inexpensive one. it's only 25 minutes but dang if it's not tough. I'm doing Chalean Extreme right now. It's a 90 day program and I'm 1/3 of the way through. They are anywh3re form 30-45 minutes long.
  • kelligonzales
    Options
    I bought Bob Harpers Inside Out DVD, it is an awesome strength training workout. There are 2 programs on it, a 20 minute one to build you up to the 60 minute one. All you need is a mat and some hand weights. Only $9 at Wal-Mart!

I love this workout!!
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    I echo Ashley. Since I bought a gym membership, I might as well use more than the cardio machines and group classes so I also bought a three-session training with a personal trainer there.

Basically all I want out of it is for them to show me a few different routines that I can do to target different areas of my body. Plus, I want to start using the weight area without feeling intimidated :)
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Women don't have the testosterone to get bulky without it taking an incredible amount of effort. You'll do fine.
  • francis1425
    francis1425 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, I do have JM burn fat boost metabolism, so I was thinking of starting that up again....I was also thinking of trying to focus more on the gym equipment since I will be there for the cardio part on my workout. I belong to Planet Fitness so I am not sure if they offer any kind of personal trainers....I will have to check it out.