AAAAAHHHHHHHH

Babyfishy
Babyfishy Posts: 6
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
I've been eating under (just under) 1200 cal a day, and I've been really good about it. I've been doing 45 min of cardio in my target HR range several times a week. I KNOW that I haven't been at it long (about 2 weeks) but I've GAINED weight. I don't feel like my size has gone down either...jeans fit the same, etc. I feel like I'm doing everything right, but nothings happening. I don't expect a lot at this point but *something* would be nice! I just started doing measurements so maybe I'll see something there, but I thought at least my jeans would fit just a tad better, not worse. Oh, and add to this my fiance has done the same thing as I have and he's lost 10 pounds! What's going on??

Replies

• JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Are you eating back your workout calories??
  • glenna221
    glenna221 Posts: 46
    Sodium? especially if you are eating a lot of processed, packaged foods.
  • I don't think so. I have kept my cal intake under 1200 a day, usually around 1000 to 1100. I know I'm not working out enough to burn through 1200 cal. a day but ...
  • Huh, could be. I'm relying a lot on lean cuisine type stuff. (for lunch) then homecooked for dinner. I don't have any time in the middle of the day.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Eat more. Starvation mode is real. Up your calories slowly like 100 per week to see when weight loss gets triggered
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Jeanine_Colavecchi Posts: 185 Member
    First of all, men will lose faster so don't compare yourself. And as long as your NET is 1200 and you are working out....AND making sure to eat those workout calories....you are right on track. Keep at it for at least a month....you will see a change trust me. Dont get discouraged....thats the easiest feeling to fall back on.

I've been on here since Dec 15th and have lost about 12 lbs. It works but give it time....everyone id different.
  • mroper1
    mroper1 Posts: 10
    Eat back most of your workout calories and you will begin to lose lbs. Your body is in starvation mode! You have to have consumed at least 1200 net calories a day. Calories consumed - workout calories = net calories.
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    I don't think so. I have kept my cal intake under 1200 a day, usually around 1000 to 1100. I know I'm not working out enough to burn through 1200 cal. a day but ...

You need to NET 1200 calories a day. That means eating back your excersise calories. MFP already factors in eating less calories to loose weight if you dont net 1200 calories your body is storing fat becaue you arent giving it enough fuel.
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    Eat back most of your workout calories and you will begin to lose lbs. Your body is in starvation mode! You have to have consumed at least 1200 net calories a day. Calories consumed - workout calories = net calories.

Exactly! You are not eating enough.
  • young1726
    young1726 Posts: 347 Member
    My calorie limit is set to 1200 also. I target eating between 1200 and 1300 calories (rather than UNDER 1200) and I regularly lose weight. Maybe you should up your calories slightly. :) More food isn't always a bad thing!

Plus if you burn 200 calories working out then you should eat 200 MORE calories...so between 1400 and 1500 calories. Trust me...this works!!!!
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Well you have to take your BRM into consideration, that + your workout calories you burn...you may not be giving your body enough fuel and it's going into a "starvation" mode and storing energy as fat
  • MeganH81
    MeganH81 Posts: 38
    Someone said eating sodium and gaining water weigh and you shot that down but you also said you're eating frozen dinner which contain lot of SALT... sooooo

They also contain lots of carbs which could be a factor
  • dogdaze
    dogdaze Posts: 110 Member
    Are you eating too little? Men seem to tolerate that better than women! Women tend to go straight into famine mode and our metablism slows way down. If I don't consume at least 1200 calories when I fill in my MFP log, I get a little message warning me about this.

Slow and steady weight loss is much preferable to starving yourself, failing to lose weight and giving up. I know it is tempting to try to get quick results but it is neither healthy or conducive to long term weight control. Aim for a pound or two each week and remember that the MFP calculator builds in a calorie deficit.

The other possibility is that you have gained some water weight.

Good luck! Persistence Pays
  • Alright! Well, that makes total sense then! I guess I need to eat more LOL Never thought that would be an issue. I appreciate all the feedback. Megan, not trying to shoot anything down, I'm open to ideas here, for sure. I also, didn't know that about the frozen dinners. And that really sucks, they are so EASY! Oh, well, guess it's time to find an alternative! Thanks everybody.
  • sarahanne40
    sarahanne40 Posts: 69 Member
    Hey babyfishy, I think what we need is to see your diary, then we can make fair comment on your specific diary. The reason JanerZzz is asking about eating back your exercise calories is because sometimes your body misunderstands whats going on when you restrict your intake and it holds onto all the calories/fat it can rather than letting you lose weight (especially when you have already restricted your diet by ~800 calories a day - it thinks that a famine is on the way) - you should aim to have NET intake of 1200 cals minimum - this means you should eat back your excercise calories to make sure you balance out - so if you eat 1200 cals then excercise off 400 cals, you should eat back the 400 cals - there are lots of threads (and views) on this. I personally think your NET intake should never be below 1200 cals.

As for your bf - some people do lose alot at first - but you will catch up eventually - just plug away and try and be sensible about your expectations, aim for a loss of 1lb-2lb a week, this is sustainable and you have a better chance of keeping the weight off for good
  • MeganH81
    MeganH81 Posts: 38
    There is a thread...

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/205229-for-those-of-you-who-bring-lunches-to-work-give-me-a-list

You can read suggestions on there. And I posted a few quick easy meals to help that person, maybe you could read that too!!!
  • Jeanine_Colavecchi
    My calorie limit is set to 1200 also. I target eating between 1200 and 1300 calories (rather than UNDER 1200) and I regularly lose weight. Maybe you should up your calories slightly. :) More food isn't always a bad thing!

Plus if you burn 200 calories working out then you should eat 200 MORE calories...so between 1400 and 1500 calories. Trust me...this works!!!!

Congrats! I finally figured this out the other week too!
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Workout intensity is also hugley important. Try adding some intervals into your cardio, like going from a 5-6 on the extertion scale to 8 or 9 (like adding a minute sprint to your job every 5 minutes). You'll burn the same amount of calories in half the time, and I don't know what else it does for body, but it definitely worked for me :)
This discussion has been closed.