Calorie Worry and Weight Loss

Options
I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment I guess you could say. I know I'm getting closer to a goal weight- a goal weight I've not even set yet- mainly because I'm not quiet sure what a good,healthy, goal weight for me would be. But, I know I'm within 20-15 lbs of it.

Since the first of the year my nutrition and exercise has been horrible. It's been all over the place. The first three weeks of Jan. were a blur of junk food and laziness (moved in with a couple who apparently has never heard of healthy food). I gained a bit. I had a week in Feb. where I didn't eat so great either (too much stress makes me an emotional eater- ashamed). And then in Feb. I was put on some medication that suppressed my appetite greatly. Because the other meds they had me on sedated me I was sleeping the majority of the day, and when I was up I wasn't even hungry, therefore I was hardly eating 500 cals a day (maybe). Once I realized this problem I set out to correct it rather quickly. I'm still correcting it.
I was worried that jumping up to 1200-1500 calories a day all at once would not only be extremely difficult due to the lact of appetite, but possibly make me feel awful, and I was afraid of what it may do to weight gain. So I started upping my calories by 100 every 3-4 days at first until I started to actually regain my appetite. There were even a couple days where I ate even above 1300, but the next day I'd feel awful and it seemed harder to make myself hungry. Now I'm at 1200 calories a day, at least. I'm trying to still build up 100 a week (I remember the nutritionist I worked with last year had me go up about 100 cals every 1-1.5 weeks when we were trying to build my calories- so I thought I'd just follow that plan again).

The thing is it's getting more difficult. I have a distorted perception of food and weight loss. I thought I'd beat it, but apparently it's still there in my mind even if the really unhealthy behaviors are at bay.

I want to lose this last bit of weight in the healthiest way possible- I don't want to have too big of a calorie deficit at the end of the day- I don't want to sabotage myself and end up losing tons of muscle.

I will say that because of financial reasons it is really hard to eat a lot during the day sometimes. Not only do I have a hard time getting in calories due to whether I feel like eating or not, but also due to what's available (it's not uncommon for us to be down to just canned vegetables and bread).

I guess my question is regarding how to make sure I get my metabolism back on track since I'm sure it suffered from what my diet has been and lacked. I know this website gives you the calories a day it says you should consume, and I don't doubt it's accurate, but I guess seeing that I have some extra anxiety over this and I'm extremely hesitant and find it hard to eat more, I could use a bit more guidance with more explanation perhaps. Also, what calorie deficit should I be aiming for. I know they say to never try to lose more than 2 lbs a week, and that would mean 1000 calorie a day deficit, but is that too much of a deficit? What would the ideal deficit be for me me? [right now I'm slowly decreasing my deficit by upping my calories like I previously mentioned- I'm at 1100-1200 deficit which I know is too much and I'm fighting to get it lower).

BTW, my information is: Height: 5'3" Weight: 146 Female (obviously) I burn anywhere from 400-900 calories through exercise a day. (which I know my daily caloric intake will change depending on my daily calories burned- just providing those numbers for you to get an idea of my lifestyle).

If you have any advice or insight it would be much appreciated. If you'd like to message me that's fine as well.
I hope everyone is having a wonderful and healthy day.
-Alex

Replies

• Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    there was a post on here which I thought was very interesting and I would like you to read it.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • alexjh1990
    Options
    there was a post on here which I thought was very interesting and I would like you to read it.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing

Thanks- I appreciate it. I read it, and it does give me stuff to think about. Hopefully I'm nowhere near in as big of a mess as the woman described in the article. I think the thing that scares me the most is gaining while trying to get back on track. I just know that it'll send me running back into extremely unhealthy habits- no question about it. That's why I'm trying to figure out the best way to get back on track. Considering I'm extremely close to being above 1200 calories every day, and to not having greater than 1000 calorie deficit (which will be even lower as I keep going), I am hoping that if I continue to improve over the next 2-4 weeks (I should be on perfect track by then), I hopefully won't really gain, or if I do it'll be a small amount.
    I'm also hoping that the fact that I've not been having a huge calorie deficit for too long (just some of Feb. & Mar.) and before then I certainly wasn't starving myself (ate crap Jan-1st week or 2 of Feb), that perhaps the negative effects won't be as huge for me.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    a 1000 cal deficit is fine for a person whom has 60+ pound to drop for those who have less you do not want to exceed 500 to do it safely.
  • alexjh1990
    Options
    a 1000 cal deficit is fine for a person whom has 60+ pound to drop for those who have less you do not want to exceed 500 to do it safely.

Yeah- that's kind of what I've been learning today. I've read that I definitely don't want to exceed a 700 cal deficit, and that a 500 cal deficit is the thing to aim for. I'm going to talk with a nutritionist either today or tomorrow (via email) and fill her in on my situation. I think she'll be able to (hopefully) draw me up a rough plan to follow in order to get to where I need to be with how much I'm eating as quickly and safely as possible. It's so very important for me to do this in the most healthy way possible. I know that I can't allow myself to be on the verge of developing an Eating Disorder like almost happened last year. It's not worth it- at all!

Thanks for your help and advice. I'm definitely going to be getting my caloric deficit down much lower, very soon. Working on it everyday.