Problem using HRM whilst swimming....

Options
jude666
jude666 Posts: 231 Member
HELP!! I need advice.... I took my Polar FT4 for my swim last night (first time used during a swim so I was quite excited at the results). To my annoyance though, every time I started swimming a lenghth of the pool my HRM was telling me my heart rate had dropped to between 40-45!! But when I stood up at the end of the length, it would jump back to my actual heart rate. It meant that my reading at the end of a 45 minute swimming (and I really didn't stop much).... it said i had burnt only a meagre 159 calories!!!! that is NOT possible, it should be more like 400-500 calories burnt :-(

Has anyone else used HRM for swimming and, if so, can anyone offer any advice on what i'm doing wrong?

Replies

• nikkionamission
    Options
    Can you actually use them when swimming? When I tried it gave me no HR when in the water so I assume that it can't transmit through water?
  • pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is your problem but chlorinated water is conductive and could be disrupting the readings of your HRM. Does it still work properly after you used if for swimming? I have been dying to try mine during pool activity but I am worried that even if it is rated to be used in the water it will not work properly after...
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I haven't used mine while swimming. But, sometimes during a workout or run, etc I get an incorrect reading or it wont read at all. Make sure the strap is snug and right under your chest. And make sure you wet the strap before putting it on to help it connect with your skin.
  • rowshell
    rowshell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    From everything I've read, chest strap heart rate monitors don't work in water (chlorinated or otherwise). The water interferes with the signal from the sensor.
  • soniajc
    soniajc Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bump..
    I'm interested in feed back you get, I to do a 40 min swim once or twice a week normally about 1125 metres in 40 mins but not sure how many calories I'm burning so was considering getting a HRM for my swimming and walking. :happy:
  • picturesing
    picturesing Posts: 228
    Options
    The water temp affects mine! The other day it just kept beeping like it does when I'm checking my HR......dumb :noway: - I turned it off. I check my pulse at intervals just so I can get an idea of how I'm doing, but I can almost tell what my HR is by my breathing - heavier breathing = higher HR. :bigsmile:
    Swimming is the bestest!!!! I shoot for X number of laps in X amount of time.....goooood burn!
  • rgalloway49
    rgalloway49 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I tried mine swimming and got the 0 heart rate when submerged. I looked up what could be the problem and found out that chemicals in the water could effect how it works. The website basically said that water use could be sporadic at best. I am going to try again in my own pool when it warms up (it is salt water, so minimal chemicals) and hope for better results.

I washed it out good after using it in the other pool and it has worked fine for me since then.
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    It depends on your hrm whether it will work in a pool or not. Mine said it would work in any water to a certain depth. I wore mine last summer in our backyard pool and it was fine. I have a Polar 7 (I think that is the right number).
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • glenna221
    glenna221 Posts: 46
    Options
    I can't get mine to work in the pool either. I think it's partly my hand is too far from my chest strap. Also water seems to interfere with the ability for the strap to stay DIRECTLY ON your chest. I tend to underestimate my swimming cals burned - definately don't take the # provided by MFP.
  • jude666
    jude666 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your messages... Looks like I won't be able to use it swimming after all :-(((( bugger!! Never mind, its brilliant for everything else so I don't feel its been a waste of money. I do think they should state the chlorine issue in the manual though, it indicates it can be used, and clearly not. Off for a swim tonight though, I'll have to continue estimating for the time being. If anyone knows of a HRM u can use whilst swimming, please, please let me know - its my favourite exercise! Thanks all xx
  • Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar F7 and the user guide says that you can use it while swimming. Some friends use theirs and it works for them as well.