Atkin's Anyone?

Options
I am seriously thinking of giving the New Atkins that came out in recently a try. My mother's bf has lost a lot of weight and a friend is controling his diabetes well. I just question if I can stick to it. Any thoughts?

Replies

• chantel1424
    Options
    Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of the atkins diet. Yes it will help you lose weight and fast but its almost impossible to stick with and keep the weight off. I was completely miserable on it and had no energy but everyone is different. :)
  • vlearmonth
    vlearmonth Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree, I as well am giving it a try since my co-worker just lost 20-lbs in 2 months doing Atkins!! It will be a big challenge for me since I'm a carb lover.. today is my first day, we'll see how it goes!
  • remembernomore
    Options
    I did it for a while with my mom but personally it was hard for me because I am trying to find a carb balance with my love of bagels. But the real hardest thing was giving up fruit. A diet/lifestyle change when fruit is frowned apon isn't something for me. I'd rather live on nothing but good fruit and veg if I had my way.

But if it is something you think would work for you go for it! I did lose weight but I wasn't happy. I believe I dropped 15+ in 4 weeks but it was the longest 4 weeks of my life.
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    I thought about trying it too. The first two weeks suck so bad though because you can't eat fruit. I know you can add them back in eventually, but I am not sure I have the willpower to get past the first two weeks. I did atkins about 8 years ago and lost 14 pounds during induction, but I gained it back and some as soon as I stopped restricting my carbs.
  • lizabean89
    lizabean89 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I still can't decide. I have tried it before and also not been able to stick to it. The new one is supposedly less restrictive though. I am feeling desperate. My big 40 is around the corner and it is depressing. I just have to get motivated and do something. I am sick of counting calories or points. I would still be counting carbs though! UGH!
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have known people that have lost LOTS of weight on the Atkin's diet. I too had small success with it years ago. However, for me at least, I gained most of it back after I went into maintenance.

I prefer the more "balanced" type of diet to where I am not so restricted, but again, everyone is different. I do limit my carbs to "healthy" ones, but I still have them.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do...the important thing is you are doing something!!!!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    does it still not allow carbs? that's not good if you will be working out
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I lost a LOT of weight with Atkins. Problem was, I could not keep up the severe carb restriction for the rest of my life. Soon as I started eating carbs again, ALL of the weight came back. :sad:
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    Every single person I know who has done Atkins has lost a ton of weight. And every single one of them also gained it back even faster than they lost it once they started eating like a normal person again. I tried it myself once and got so weak I couldn't even get out of bed for several days.
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Consider Paleo or the south beach diet, they are more balanced. Also a lot of people are gluten intolerant, I think eliminating that ingredient permanently is key for many with success on atkins