Exercise Advice Needed

Options
Hi guys, I'm totally lost here and im needing some help, 3 yrs ago i developed a leg ulcer, after having several DVT's, up to a few weeks ago it was almost healed, i started my calorie counting and started walking and using my rowing machine, yesterday after visiting the doctor my leg ulcer is now 3 times worse than it first was, and the doc thinks the exercise has aggravated it, was told to rest it for at least 6 weeks, so its just upper-body exercises for me, anything from knee up over. I feel like a bit of a stuck record where this is concerned, and Ive searched the net for hrs on end to find what to do, but im totally clueless where exercise is concerned, I need some sort of plan and don't know where to start, I'm feeling a little disheartened after yesterday and there where a few tears, but today is a new day right...and i cant let this beat me......help please ♥

Replies

• SarahJaneDeschamp
    SarahJaneDeschamp Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    sorry i forgot to mention....swimming is not an option for me either because i have to keep the wound dry :(
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    how about Yoga or Pilates? these can be quite low intensity but you get a great workout especially from pilates and there are so many differnt moves that you cant get bored of!! good luck :o)
  • pixieofdoom
    pixieofdoom Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Do you need to be sat down while you exercise or can you stand for a while? Can your doctor suggest anything? You could try using some of those stretchy bands for resistance training or light weights for arm exercises. This may sound a bit silly and forgive me if I'm completely on the wrong track but would it be worth looking up exercise programmes for people with disabilities. I know there are lots for wheelchair users that perhaps you could adapt to take the pressure off your legs.

I really would reccommend speaking to your doctor though.
  • heather1945
    heather1945 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Try sitting on a chair, legs spread slightly, and with a stick placed behind your neck, I use a broom handle, place your hands one on each end. Now swing from the waist backwards and forwards. I do 4 sets of 100. I started off doing 4 sets of 20 but quickly increased it. Once you feel able, increase the number of sets, or the number of turns within each set....Hope this helps. :-)
  • emsibun
    emsibun Posts: 208
    Options
    Hmm it's maybe a totally random idea but what about some tae bo but do it sitting down? or even sitting zumba - that kind of thing. Just do the ab crunch (i.e. engage your core) as you do the exercise and do the arm movements along with the dvd.

It won't be as high intensity but it will burn some energy!

Also i agree with the others about resistance training and strength training. It might be time to just focus on that for a while?
  • Lullaby_Melodia
    Lullaby_Melodia Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Check out Fitness TV (it's one of the free view channels) they have Chairobics on every day.
  • em80
    em80 Posts: 91
    Options
    How about doing some exercise with weights sitting down?
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    Options
    Thanks guys :)
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    Options
    Check out Fitness TV (it's one of the free view channels) they have Chairobics on every day.

we dont get this on our tv, can this be watched on line ??
  • lizmichele
    lizmichele Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What about boxing? We do it at my gym and our legs stay fairly still, but I burn calories and tone my arms like it is going out of style? Of course, check with your doc first.
  • WrenLynn
    WrenLynn Posts: 213
    Options
    Boxing gets the heart rate up and can be done sitting down. I watch Heavy and also Biggest Loser and they both have said on their shows that if you can only use your upper body to box sitting down.
  • pjfmaui73
    pjfmaui73 Posts: 408
    Options
    all great ideas for you to try Sarah... I hope you're now feeling inspired instead of defeated...you can do this sweetie!!!! :bigsmile:
  • SarahJaneDeschamp
    Options
    Thanks again guys, i appreciate this, need to get my head back in the game and get motivated, I CAN DO THIS !!!
  • heather1945
    heather1945 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the power of honey to heal the ulcer.....google summer glow apiaries and read about the powers of healing in honey. I've had friends who have had ulcers and a bad wound which wouldn't heal - honey was the answer. But not ordinary honey. This is a special honey which has healing properties in it....just a suggestion. Should you try it, your ulcer could be healing whilst you are unable to do your exercises....:-)