Fitness question

Options
Hi all =) this is my first post, although I have been lurking for some time. I have been on MFP for like 70 days now. I am eating for the most part clean and am execising daily, but not having much luck. I am only down 11 lbs since Jan 27. Here is my dilema/question.I gained 50-60 pounds in a year. Last April, I started a new job, my old job was fairly physically demanding, so... I went from being very physical 40 hours a week to siting behind a desk 40 hours a week. Even if I work out an hour a day,all week will not make up for one day at my old job. So for the trainer types out there, what can I expect, will my body and my metabolism eventually "tune in" to my new job, or am I destine to be this big forever. I feel fairly sure that the majority of the weight gain came from lack of activity. Any suggestions, ideas or info on this would be much appreciated. thaks !!!

Replies

• Ezwoldo
    Ezwoldo Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    11lb since Jan 27 aint bad so I would just stick with it for time being if you are still not happy look at changing your diet a little taking things out or cutting down on them if you can't do with out, I used to stay with in my guide but lost nothing I cut out taking sugar in my Tae and eating bars of chocolate and bingo I have started dropping weight.
  • txsjhawk
    txsjhawk Posts: 25
    Options
    Hang in there. I know the process is slow but you are making progress. If you look at your weight gain, you averaged about 5lbs a month. Not a lot but it adds up in the end. Well, if you look at your weight loss, you are at close to the same pace and it will add up too. I am a trainer for a living and what I encourage my clients to shoot for is an average of a pound per week. Its reasonable and also proves to have a higher success rate of keeping it off, if it is gradual. As long as you continue to monitor your eating and exercise regularly and keep those things in line with each other, you should acheive the results you are looking for.

Your pay off will be worth it.
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    You're not going to burn as many calories in your new job as in your old job, and that's just something you'll have to adjust to. You don't need to eat as much as you did then just to maintain. Depending on what kind of exercising you do, try to up the intensity a couple of times a week (run harder, lift more, ride faster, rest less, whatever). Really focus on quality calories from real foods, and don't skip workouts.

All that said, be proud of your success! Weight never comes off as fast as it goes on (just like making money -- it never comes in as fast as it goes out!), and you've lost an average of just about a lb a week this year! That's incredible! Stay with it!
  • Sigra
    Sigra Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hey :)

I was/am in the same situation you are, my job was extremely demanding of me physically, at least 40hrs a week I was on my feet and moving. Then I changed to a different job, office style and put on 45lbs!

Since my 3years at my job now I haven't see my metabolism get used to my new sit down job. - And I've stayed at a rather steady weight after gaining my first year. What I have been looking for is little things that I can do around the office. - Specifically stretching on my breaks (2, 15mins) and then exercise on my lunch (1hr). I'm lucky because I have a gym at my work. But for those who don't I recommend getting off your butt and taking a walk around the building! Bring a book, ipod, gameboy or pad/paper whatever is most comfortable for you!

I try to keep my stretching/short exercises during my break very short yet enjoyable and feel the burn! Also know that it's not bad to stand up from your desk every once in a while and stretch for a moment (not during breaks/lunches).

Here are some things that I've found very helpful to do during my breaks that are quick and fun:

Lunges
    Reverse Lunges
    Jackknife
    Crunchies
    Reverse crunches
    Frankenstein
    Ab twist
    Butterfly
    Squats
    Toe touch
    Push ups
    The Plank
    Walking Planks
    Superman
    Bicycle crunch
    Butt Lift
    Triceps Dips
    Walking Lunge
    Low Plank
    Mountain Climbers

All of these are office worthy :) They require little room to move, and are normally done in 1min per segments to start working different muscles in your body! These are considered boot camp exercises. I like to do 1item per 1min I can normally get 10 different things done during my breaks (5mins for travel time depending if I'll be doing them outside or not!)

^_^ I hope this helps!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    You also have to remember it took a YEAR to put on the weight its not going to come off in a month! or even 2! but at the rate youre going at, if you keep loosing at the steady rate you are, itlltake 10 months to loose 50, 12 to loose 60, so the amount of time it took you to put it on is the amount of time its going to take you to bring it back off.

Just remember boredom with food at workouts is very detrimental to a steady weight loss plan, spice things up, try new things, even if its a "silly" workout like jazzercise. I LOVE jazzercise, Zoomba & Latin heat, and if you can do it in the gym then youll have more confidance if you ever dance outside of the gym too!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    When I got pregnant I gained 70lbs. I slept and ate. I was so sick all the time. I think the reason I have been struggling to lose weight is all my muscle I had before I was pregnant converted to fat. If you have been fairly sedentary until recently you may have lost a lot of muscle in the process of gaining that weight. The only thing that has been working for me is strenuous areobic exercise and I have add some weights in there. I need to re build my muscle to get it going.

I have been trying for 16 years now. 12 years ago I did WW and it took me 9 months to lose 27lbs. That is 3lbs a month, it was so discouraging. Today I am 3 month in, I run, use the elliptical, take step classes and started the 30 day shred and I am down 24.8.

Build some muscle and make sure the exercise you are doing, you are increasing the intensity. I have a desk job and sit on my butt at the computer all day too.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    11 lbs in 2 months is pretty good.

Going from an active job to an sedentary one, you have 2 choices. Exercise a lot to compensate for the activity you used to do, or limit your calories to stay in line with the fact you are doing far less exercise.