Kinda a downer

Options
Been weighing myself at home and my scale says 207.8, but then on Sunday told me I had gained 3 lbs. When I weighed in at church, I was 215.5. Had only gained .5 lbs and thats been more consistent then at home.

So Im thinking the 215 is my true weight and Im very sad about that. :(

Replies

• BombolinaM
    BombolinaM Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Don't let the scale discourage you. Hang in there. You can do this .
  • dickerson4
    dickerson4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. It's a marathon, not a race. Just stick to your good habits and you'll make it to the finish!
  • h0p3
    h0p3 Posts: 15
    Options
    Keep on going, try not to weigh yourself everyday at least keep 10 days between you and the scale. Also weigh yourself first thing in the morning and try using the same scale.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good thing to weigh yourself regularly..I'm not saying every day, but a few times a week. That way, if the scale starts creeping back up, then you know that what you're doing is not working and you can change it before you gain 10 lbs and your staring at the scale thinking WTH? But also, every scale is different...so watch where you weigh.

Good luck, honey!
  • skfj5
    skfj5 Posts: 70
    Options
    I agree...don't give up.

That has TOTALLY happened to me...I weighed at the gym, it said I dropped pounds. I stepped on the scale at the grocery store THE SAME DAY...it said I gained. I weighed at the doctors office next day and guess what? Grocery store was right. I was SUPER depressed.

But I kept working...and let me tell you...it takes me FOREVER to lose weight. I lose ounces while everyone else is smacking down pounds.

I've had setbacks, plateaus that lasted MONTHS, and then...golden successes. It's taken me twice as long as other people, and I still have a little under half-way to go...but like everyone said...it's not a race...but a marathon. Don't give up just because you got to a hill :)

Good luck!!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    "True weight" is a load of baloney! You are in a weight range and even the most precise scales have a margin of error. At church are you in full clothes, mid day with a stomach full of food?

Take your mind off of your "weight" as a number, and just focus on coaxing your scale down. Don't worry about your end goal or any of that- your scale is only useful as a guage of your own progress. For now, it doesn't matter what any scale says. And when you get close to your goal, trust me, you'll be much more comfy with guaging your progress by what you see in the mirror and on your measuring tape.

So keep your chin up. Weigh in 1x a week or less, and keep your focus less on that evil stupid contraption and more towards hitting your nutritional and fitness goals. If you keep yourself going, you will lose, it will come down and you will get there, I promise.
  • aneajo
    aneajo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I agree...don't give up.

That has TOTALLY happened to me...I weighed at the gym, it said I dropped pounds. I stepped on the scale at the grocery store THE SAME DAY...it said I gained. I weighed at the doctors office next day and guess what? Grocery store was right. I was SUPER depressed.

But I kept working...and let me tell you...it takes me FOREVER to lose weight. I lose ounces while everyone else is smacking down pounds.

I've had setbacks, plateaus that lasted MONTHS, and then...golden successes. It's taken me twice as long as other people, and I still have a little under half-way to go...but like everyone said...it's not a race...but a marathon. Don't give up just because you got to a hill :)

Good luck!!

Thats how I feel, its taking me forever
  • geocookie
    geocookie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If your scale isn't reliable, you might want to get a new one.. or sometimes they're persnickety and you have to be sure the floor is totally level where the scale is. We have to be careful on our floor and find a spot where all four scale feet touch the floor before stepping on it. It isn't much of a tilt, but it does rock a smidgen if not totally level. Also, we had a scale that was unreliable.. You could step on it one time and it'd give you a weight, step off, step right back on, and it'd give you another weight! I used to weight three times in a row and average them.. FINALLY got to a point where a bit of extra income went for a new scale.. This one is good. It consistently reads reasonable weights, but always weighs me at about 5 lbs less than at the doctor's office. However, that is because I have shoes and everything on at the doctor's office and not at home.
  • aneajo
    aneajo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I weight in before I walk out of the house in all my clothes and then weigh in at church less than an hour later and it is that much of a difference.
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    ****erson4, that was well stated! it's easy to get discouraged when the pounds fluctuate; so important to keep the big picture in mind .. thank you for the healthy perspective :)
  • chrisallcock
    Options
    its a waste of time weighing yourself through the week as your weight will yo yo, its better to pick aday and weigh yourself on that same day everyweek otherwise if you keep jumping on the scales and that one time your weight is up it will discourage you :)
  • ChunTingO
    ChunTingO Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    its okay! i have been speed walking everyday for two weeks and i have gained weight, I was upset this morning but i measured and i have dropped inches. I feel stronger and i know they say muscle weighs more than fat
  • orchidandwasp
    Options
    I think it's a good idea to weigh in on only one scale, and do not weigh yourself on another scale, no matter how great the temptation. This way, you can see your progress in terms of the change over time rather than the number at any given time.

This happened to me when I went to my first nutritionist's appointment, I weighed myself at my house and got one number, hopped on the scale at her office 30 minutes later and got a number that was 4 lbs heavier. It kind of threw me for a loop, but if you stick to one scale all the time, you won't get distracted.

Congrats on your great work,
    E
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I easily gain during the week but for some reason on Mondays I show a loss (a loss from the previous monday). So my official weigh in day is Monday. Keep at it!!!!