Elliptical calories

Options
I just bought an elliptical trainer. Should I input the calories that show up on the machine itself (I don't put in my weight) or do I just go by what MFP says (where I do put in my weight)? MFP calories are about double of what my machine says. What would you do?

Replies

• kimbie527
    Options
    I go with my machine but it has a HRM. I would say if yours has a hrm and you are using it, go with the machine. MFP over estimates in the exercise area I have found.
  • mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    I was meaning to ask this ask well, as I noticed last night my calories were a bit lower in actuality.
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I go with my machine but it has a HRM. I would say if yours has a hrm and you are using it, go with the machine. MFP over estimates in the exercise area I have found.

I don't have a HRM, but I plan on getting one soon. Thank you. Maybe I will put my calories somewhere in the middle since I think my machine under estimates?
  • tandroes
    tandroes Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    my elliptical always says i burn more than MFP... so I go with MFP because its lower
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'd input my weight in the machine, and go by that. Mfp doesn't account for variable workouts very well.
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    It's really tough to answer this question because your weight makes a huge difference in the energy expended to do the same ammount of work (calories, scientifically).

I would say try to get a heart rate monitor and in the mean time take an average of the two???
  • karilynn27
    karilynn27 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    my elliptical always says i burn more than MFP... so I go with MFP because its lower

I do the same!
  • ahappyapple
    Options

I would say try to get a heart rate monitor and in the mean time take an average of the two???

I think that is what I will do. Thanks!
  • bootlebop1979
    Options
    I enter my weight on my elliptical and change the calories burned by the elliptical into MFP. I find MFP is higher with all exercise according to my age, height, weight, etc. To get accurate input/results be true to yourself =) I would LOVE to make everyone think I burned that many calories but, I have to stay true to get the results I want and need.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I go by the machine, because I input my age and weight and it has a HRM. Also, I tend to work really hard on the elliptical, and I know I am burning more calories that way. It seems I'm pretty consistent with burning about 100 calories for every 10 minutes I'm on it, at the rate that I go.
  • jennyph2006
    jennyph2006 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ahappyapple
    Options
    The problem is I can't input my weight into my elliptical machine so I don't know what weight it goes by. I am pretty overweight so I am sure that the calories on the machine are under estimating what I really did burn.
  • ejmcam
    ejmcam Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    You should buy yourself a HRM to wear while you are on the machine, one that tells you calories burned.
  • ahappyapple
    Options
    You should buy yourself a HRM to wear while you are on the machine, one that tells you calories burned.

I plan on it. :)
  • ahappyapple
    Options
    Can anyone suggest a good HRM that doesn't use a chest strap?
  • joolzsd
    joolzsd Posts: 51
    Options
    I have been researching and unfortunately the ones without the chest strap seem to all be annoying and unreliable. Sounds like chest strap is the way to go! The good news is apparently once you have it on, you don't really notice it after a few minutes.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    My elliptical has a HRM and I use the calories it says I burned. I know you don't put in weight, but I figure on MFP you don't put in speed or resistance. My elliptical also always tells me a number WAY lower than MFP does and personally I'd rather be estimating low than high, just to be on the safe side.
  • fmktjod
    fmktjod Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I go by the machine, because I input my age and weight and it has a HRM. Also, I tend to work really hard on the elliptical, and I know I am burning more calories that way. It seems I'm pretty consistent with burning about 100 calories for every 10 minutes I'm on it, at the rate that I go.

Me too - I find MFP is always higher than what the eliptical at the gym says after inputing my weight, and age. It has a built in HRM. I've always wondered if it actually takes into account all those factors. I guess it wouldn't ask them if it didn't.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I use an elliptical that I enter age and weight into and it's always about 150 calories higher than my HRM. And my HRM is on par for everything else, so I definitely trust that over the machine.