are baked potatos and rice bad for you?

Options
I love potatos, especially baked potatos. I like it wilth a salad.
Many people have said to stay away from potatos and rice and pasta when
you are dieting.
Is this true?

Replies

• greeneggsnoham
    Options
    Bake potatos are okay, just dont' load it down with butter. If you are going to eat rice eat brown rice.
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes, brown rice and whole grain pasta are much better for you than their white counterparts (this includes bread also). Moderation is the key.
  • Christie23
    Christie23 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Curious to see what everyone says about this. I, personally, don't believe either are bad for you... it's more the toppings we use for them that cause trouble.
  • pj_writer
    pj_writer Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    not in moderation - they are all carbohydrate foods, and you need some carbs in your diet for energy.
    none of them are high in fat so are fine as part of a balanced diet :)
    If you were trying a low carb diet (eg Atkins) then you would advised to avoid them, but there are lots of different ways of losing weight - as long as you eat a balanced diet and cut your calorie intake overall there is no reason to cut out carbs.

MFP tracks your carbs/protein/fat as well as your calories so you can try and make sure that you get a good balance throughout the day.

hope that helps
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    potatoes are good for you but the skin is the best part. Potatoes and rice are full of carbs but if you are not in a low carb diet, they are fine. As for rice, stay away from fried rice or any white rice, try brown rice, more fiber and protein.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Baked sweet potatoes are even better. Thumbs up on the brown rice, much more flavor than white. You can also mix in a little wild rice with it when you cook it mmmmm.
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    Anything is fine in moderation. I choose brown rice and whole wheat pasta over white rice and white pasta. I often choose sweet potatoes over white potatoes. However, regular potatoes still have nutrients that are great for you, especially if you eat the skin, also. They're higher in calories so I think people suggest you avoid them for that reason but as long as you work it into your day I think you're fine.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Read the book Diet Free for Life. You will see that a baked potato or rice is not bad for you if you eat it with the right amount of protein in the same meal. And even butter on the potato is acceptable in the right combination/ratio of protein/fast carb/slow carb. Very enlightening for me.
  • pj_writer
    Options
    oh and it's true that wholegrain rice and pasta will make you feel fuller because they have more fibre in them - so your body will break them down more slowly. but it doesn't mean the regular type are 'bad'
    New potatoes are digested more slowly than big baking potatoes too apparently, and long grain rice like basmati fills you up longer than short grain.
    food is complicated lol!
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Read the book Diet Free for Life. You will see that a baked potato or rice is not bad for you if you eat it with the right amount of protein in the same meal. And even butter on the potato is acceptable in the right combination/ratio of protein/fast carb/slow carb. Very enlightening for me.
    It's been a couple years since I read the South Beach Diet, but I believe there was something in there too about how eating a baked potato with the right amount of fats and protein are really good for you. I think clean eating with balanced macros is the way to go, but different things may work for different people.
  • Hufflepuff65
    Hufflepuff65 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have heard that it is not the baked potato, rice, or pasta that is bad for you itself. It is what you put on them. I love all three of these foods and I have switched to only brown, whole wheat, or whole grain versions of the rice and pasta. My favorite topping for a baked potato is salsa, a little sour cream, and a little of 2% shredded sharp cheddar cheese. I do not eat it very often, though. Maybe only once or twice in two or three months. If you use less and/or healthier toppings and control your portion size, there should be no reason to eliminate any of these foods completely from your diet.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Everyone's mileage may vary but white carbs have a higher glycemic index which can be bad for some..
  • Rebjones612
    Rebjones612 Posts: 408
    Options
    Thanks to all for the great info!
  • knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Lots of interesting feeback on your question. I have no problem with potatoes and not overloading them but I have come to the conclusion after multiple attempts over the years that brown rice is NOT for me.

I will just have to have white rice in moderation because I don't like anything about brown rice accept for its nutrional value which isn't enough for it to find a home in my kitchen!

Since my journey is about a lifestyle I must do things I can actually maintain and brown rice isn't one of them. I taking this approach on all my food choices now and its working out much better for me.

Best of luck! _ Ken
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want just stay within my calorie goals. If I want a baked potato I just don't way it down with excess amounts of toppings. A little margarine and a dollop of light or fat free sour cream.

I don't think you should say NO NEVER to things you like. Just try a different way of getting it/eating it.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Baked potatoes are ok in moderation. As far as rice and pasta....if you have to eat them eat whole wheat, not white. However, I was able to slowly move away from rice and pasta. Once I did I stopped craving them. They are loaded with so many carbs and a serving is very small. To me it is not worth wasting my calories or carbs for that little of food. I have started eating quinoa in place of rice. Brown rice is 170 calories and 36 carbs in 1/4 cup dry (which cooks up to be about 1/2 cup of rice. The quinoa on the other hand is 130 calories and 30 grams of carbs for 3/4 cup cooked. I substitute spaghetti squash for pasta. Pasta is 200 calories and 41 carbs for 2 ounces while spaghetti squash is 42 calories and 10 carbs for 1 cup (8oz). I have also found that eating too many carbs causes you to crave more carbs. Once I start eating rice or pasta I just want more and more. For me it is just easier to avoid rice and pasta all together.
  • Bridgetc140
    Bridgetc140 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Baked potatoes are ok in moderation. As far as rice and pasta....if you have to eat them eat whole wheat, not white. However, I was able to slowly move away from rice and pasta. Once I did I stopped craving them. They are loaded with so many carbs and a serving is very small. To me it is not worth wasting my calories or carbs for that little of food. I have started eating quinoa in place of rice. Brown rice is 170 calories and 36 carbs in 1/4 cup dry (which cooks up to be about 1/2 cup of rice. The quinoa on the other hand is 130 calories and 30 grams of carbs for 3/4 cup cooked. I substitute spaghetti squash for pasta. Pasta is 200 calories and 41 carbs for 2 ounces while spaghetti squash is 42 calories and 10 carbs for 1 cup (8oz). I have also found that eating too many carbs causes you to crave more carbs. Once I start eating rice or pasta I just want more and more. For me it is just easier to avoid rice and pasta all together.

1/2 cup of cooked brown rice is only 109 calories with a full cup only being 218. While most pasta is only 180 calories for 2oz. You should really check your numbers, before you make comparisons.
  • CuriousSoul
    Options
    I think the less processing there is, i.e. the closer to nature, the better the food is, however, the family has got to be in it with you or it will be tough trying to cook several menus.just for a meal. Just like yesterday's dinner, my dad had roast pork with 65% fat while my tummy turned when I saw what's for dinner and I settled for an egg, mushrooms and cabbage soup instead..

Between potato and sweet potato, the sweet potato has a lower GI so it does not cause a sudden spike in glucose - great for diabetics and good for everybody. I eat the sweet potato with the skin on - love love love the purple variety - it is my sweet fix.

I enjoy red cargo rice and whole grains bread for they are flavoursome to me, it is simply a bonus to me that they are healthful stuff.
    A liitle bit goes a long way. I sometimes mix them 30% red with white rice so as to coax the family to eat it - Seems like the less processing the more expensive they seem to be. It seems quite a contradiction to me - the less polishing (i.e. less work, right?), how come more costly?! Same with white flour versus wholemeal flour, white sugar versus raw sugar. Anybody knows why?

I think no need to choose between potatoes or sweet potatoes as they are all ok in a well-balanced diet - just keep it simple like steam, boil or roast with little or no additions and they should both be good.

To me, whole wheat pasta and brown/red rice will rank a wee bit lower as I think they are a little more 'processed' than the spud from the ground. Still I think moderation is key, we humans need variety in colors, flavors and textures anyway.

Hmm, food glorious food... just writing this makes me think of snack time - 1 navel orange coming right up!

P.S. Sorry about my rambling!
  • pj_writer
    Options
    Lots of interesting feeback on your question. I have no problem with potatoes and not overloading them but I have come to the conclusion after multiple attempts over the years that brown rice is NOT for me.

I will just have to have white rice in moderation because I don't like anything about brown rice accept for its nutrional value which isn't enough for it to find a home in my kitchen!

Since my journey is about a lifestyle I must do things I can actually maintain and brown rice isn't one of them. I taking this approach on all my food choices now and its working out much better for me.

Best of luck! _ Ken

I'm with you with most brown rice being horrid - too gritty!
    I don't know if you can get it in the US but in the UK we have Uncle Ben's 'easy cook wholegrain rice' and that's the only one I actually like. It only take 10 mins to cook and is really nice. I recommend it if you can get it :smile:
  • jizenna
    jizenna Posts: 49
    Options

I agree with you, the servings on these types of foods are so small, it's not worth it.