Options
Hanna82
Hanna82 Posts: 138 Member
Opinions? Benefits? Differences?

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Greek Better Plain is the best. High in protein and generally not full of artifical sweetners or sugars like reg yogurt or light yogurt. Research it
  • Nemlein
    Nemlein Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt has a better amount of protein, but I try to stay away from yogurt altogether because of the sugar content.
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    In my expreience greek yoghurt is thicker, creamier, and more delicious :bigsmile:
  • Higglyjiggly64
    Options
    What is greek yogurt and where can you get it? and what ARE the "lots" benefits?
  • gehlerc
    gehlerc Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I'll jump in here. I made the switch from regular yogurt to Greek yogurt when I started trying to lose weight and paying more attention to the nutrition content of what I was putting in my mouth. Greek yogurt has more protein and more calcium than regular yogurt, so I prefer it over regular yogurt.

Personally, I also really like the taste and texture of Greek yogurt. My favorite is to eat plain, nonfat Greek yogurt with fruit and Fiber One Original mixed in. For me, that's a nutritionally perfect (and very enjoyable) breakfast.

Of course, your mileage may vary....
  • nlfrancis
    nlfrancis Posts: 35
    Options
    I like greek yogurt much better because it is thicker and creamier - it can be high in sugar but if you read the lables you can find one that doesn't have double digit sugar.

Oikos is a good brand and doesn't have a lot of sugar like some others.
  • peimomof2
    peimomof2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'll jump in here. I made the switch from regular yogurt to Greek yogurt when I started trying to lose weight and paying more attention to the nutrition content of what I was putting in my mouth. Greek yogurt has more protein and more calcium than regular yogurt, so I prefer it over regular yogurt.

Personally, I also really like the taste and texture of Greek yogurt. My favorite is to eat plain, nonfat Greek yogurt with fruit and Fiber One Original mixed in. For me, that's a nutritionally perfect (and very enjoyable) breakfast.

Sounds really yummy!! :)
  • Midcoast_Mermaid
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt is the best, and I personally think it has a better consistency.
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    depends where you live as to where you can buy it. In Canada (Alberta) I have a job finding it, it is almost unavailable. In Calif where I am now, its everywhere, Costco, Vons etc. Also its much better than regular yoghurt, tastier and more nutrients. :smile:
  • jchecks
    jchecks Posts: 133
    Options
    agree with the greek yogurt lovers out there. but i have to say...the plain is so hard for me to get used to...i need a little sweetness but would like to get away from the fruity ones bc of the sugar.
  • Lakerlady5747
    Lakerlady5747 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I know that regular yogurt can be very high in sugar, etc. So, I decided to try Greek yogurt (the Yoplait brand) because I heard it was higher in protein (to keep me full until lunch) and that it was better for you. I bought 3 individual containers at the store one day. The first day I tried it just plain...YUCK!! I had to mix in honey and granola in order to force it down. I had to do the same thing the next two days as well. I then decided that if I had to mix in those things, it probably brought the calorie count/sugar count much higher (this was in my pre-MFP days, so I didn't track it exactly). Also, I didn't want to have to FORCE myself to eat this for breakfast...I just couldn't get used to it!! So, I switched back to regular yogurt. I don't eat a lot of it, but I do eat some and it hasn't hindered my weight loss.

I think it's all a matter of personal taste!=)
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    The Greek yogurts I have seen are either all natural or organic. I buy Chobani. Yum.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    The sweetened yogurts are too sugary for my liking, so this is how I lightly sweeten the plain stuff up:

-Add a little bit of fruit jam and stir it in
    -Mix some sweetened cereal in (Kashi Go Lean Crunch is really good for this)
    -Add super ripe berries that are naturally sweet

You'll end up with a sweeter than plain yogurt but with less sugar than the fruit on the bottom types.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    My Cat Barnabas looks forward to my post workout snack - I always have fruit & Greek Yogurt...I let him lick the bowl when I'm done...He's been there on every one of my 'Ab Ripper' workouts - from Power90 to P90X Lean...I think he likes the fact I'm on the floor with him...he's like my spotter lol :laugh:
    Ya, anyhow - I find Greek Yogurt alot thicker & creamer - if that makes sense. I love the texture of it, but I had to get use to the taste, at first...now, I found it so good :happy:
  • emrogers
    emrogers Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Greek Better Plain is the best. High in protein and generally not full of artifical sweetners or sugars like reg yogurt or light yogurt. Research it
    Ditto.
    The pack of protein is a huge PLUS!!!
    At first I wasn't 100% sure on taste but I LOVE it now and won't go back to regular yogurt.
  • nikkishai
    nikkishai Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I made the switch to greek yogurt last week to be honest with you. I like the texture of the Chobani with fruit, and yes, it has 19-20 grams of sugar, but I'm impressed with the protein content. I'm usually over my sugar allowance by 20g anyway, so whatever.
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options

this is what i do as well. i'll also mix a scoop of protein powder in the yogurt to add flavor and extra protein.
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    If you cant find it you can make your own, buy a plain low fat yogurt. Put a jaycloth over a bowl or a coffee filter or cheese cloth. Keep the container. Pour over cloth and let sit over night in fridge. The liquid will drop into bowl and you have Greek yogurt. Put back into container. :)
  • swimmermama
    swimmermama Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Plain Chobani has only 100 calories, 7 grams of sugar, and 18g of protein!! Plus, it is delicious.

I understand that some do not like the taste or feel that it needs some sweetness. I throw in a couple of strawberries or 1/4 cup of blueberries, pineapple, or raspberries. That is all the sweetness I need for just a few more calories!

In fact, I am eating some with strawberries right now! YUM.
  • Kjohnson2387
    Kjohnson2387 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Greek Yogurt is nutritionally better... I actually just read about it this morning.... they run the greek yogurt through a cheese cloth, and it takes out all the water that you find in traditional yogurt, that's why its higher in protein and probiotics and all that good stuff... because it's more concentrated. I have yet to try greek yogurt, but i'll definitely have to pick some up this weekend.