I need a Low Cal EASY meal to feed a cowd! HELP!

Options
mistydawn76
mistydawn76 Posts: 21 Member
I have a crowd of family coming over tomorrow night approx 8 of us total. What would be something low cal and nutritious, that is NOT FISH.

Some sorta crock-pot or casserole type meal?

Replies

• findingfreedom
    Options
    Crockpot salsa chicken?!?

Boneless skinless chicken breasts
    Jar of salsa mixed with 1/2 packet low sodium taco seasoning
    Can of black beans drained

Pour it all on top of the chicken and let it cook for 6 hrs on high or 8 hrs low.

The chicken will shred/fall apart so easy! You can put this on top of a salad or have a "fix it bar" with whole wheat tortillas, lettuce, tomato, reduced fat cheese, sour cream (or, I use greek yogurt). It's super easy and delicious!
  • girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Just1forMe
    Just1forMe Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    For 8, I would triple this. It is absolutely delicious! We serve it with Knorr's Taco Rice.

Baked Salsa Chicken Breast
    4 servings
    (160 calories 4 g fat 0 g fiber)

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
    1 (16 ounce) jar salsa (mild, medium or hot)
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

Place chicken breast in a 2 quart baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Combine the salsa, brown sugar, vinegar and mustard in a bowl; pour over chicken. Bake uncovered at 400 for 30 minutes.
  • dcjulian
    dcjulian Posts: 33
    Options
    bump
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    turkey chili -
    I don't have a recipe but it really includes browned ground lean turkey and onions and garlic and then simmered with whatever cans of beans I want to include, canned tomatoes, maybe some tomato paste to give it body and then spiced with chili, cumin, etc to your taste. if you search for it on this site, I bet people have their favorite recipes with calorie content.
  • jodimitchell
    jodimitchell Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    i love salsa chicken!!

my recipe:
    load the bottom of the pot with frozen chicken breast ( walmart brand)
    jar of walmart brand salsa medium
    packet of taco seasoning
    can of cream of mushroom soup

cook all day! like someone said earlier it will fall part to shredded chicken

Include chopped onions, beans, sour cream, and cheese as mix in's so everyone can make it their own ( and you can keep the calories low)

serve with a salad and you have a family meal :)
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is:

Chicken tenderloins (or breasts)
    Lemon juice (1 t per tenderloin)
    Garlic (1/4 t per piece)
    Italian seasoning (1/4 t per piece)

optional: some olive/canola oil

Throw chicken in a baking pan lined with aluminum foil (and I use Pam or it may stick)
    Pour lemon juice over the chicken
    Sprinkle garlic and seasoning on top

Bake about 25-30 min (for tenderloins, breasts is a little longer) at 350.

I usually serve it with some brown rice (with the drippings drizzled over it) and a veggie

Everyone I've served it to loves it (and no, they weren't being polite! :tongue: )
  • traceysturn
    traceysturn Posts: 196
    Options
    How about a big pot roast in the crock. Just made this last Sunday - I use a beef loin w/ all the veg. Potatoes, onion, carrot, celery, whatever you like. I always dump a can or 2 of gravy over the top before cooking makes it so tender. Get it ready in the morning & let it go 10-11 hrs on low.
    3-4lb'r should easily feed 8

Soooo Good & EASY!
  • Mellissande
    Options
    My Homemade Chili comes up to about 155 cals per 1 cup serving

Number of servings 30 1 cup servings

Ingredients and Calories
    Hunts - Petite Diced Tomatoes, 4 container (1 4/5 cups ea.) 420
    Hunt's - Crushed Tomatos, 1 container (3 1/2 cups ea.) 280
    Onions - Raw, 1 cup, chopped 67
    Goya - Garbanzo Beans, 1 container (1 4/5 cups ea.) 350
    Great Value (Walmart) - Canned Pinto Beans, 1 container (1 4/5 cups ea.) 315
    Great Value - Black Beans Canned, 1 container (1 4/5 cups ea.) 385
    Rotel - Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies, 1 container (1 3/10 cups ea.) 63
    Generic - Beef, Ground, 80% Lean Meat / 20% Fat, Patty, Cooked, Broiled [Hamburger, Ground Chuck], 2 container (16 oz ea.) 2,400
    Butter Kernel - Whole Kernal Corn, 1 container (1 1/2 cup cookeds ea.) 240
    Mccormick - Mild Chili Seasoning Mix, 1 container (5 3/10 tbsp ea.) 120

Brown the meat, Drain the corn and beans and throw it all in a pot to simmer for about 90 minutes stirring occasionally.

I use 93 percent lean meat, But I over calculated for in case I have to use higher fat content
  • mistydawn76
    Options
    Thank you all!! I have never had Salsa Chicken! I have made Chili before for this gang. So I think tonight will be the Salsa Chicken! Now to choose which version! LOL

THANK YOU ALL SOOO SOOO MUCH!!
  • biellas
    biellas Posts: 39
    Options
    These suggestions sound delicious. They've convinced me to finally get a crock pot. Can't wait to try them!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    These suggestions sound delicious. They've convinced me to finally get a crock pot. Can't wait to try them!

Would be such an unhappy lady without my crock pot.
  • Franola27
    Franola27 Posts: 30
    Options
    super easy casserole...6-8 chopped zuccini's (yellow and green), 2 diced tomatoes, 2-3 eggs (depending on how firm you want it), 1 1/2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs and a package of low fat kielbasa (turkey). Mix them all together, throw some bread crumbs on top, stick it in the oven-pre-heated at 350, and bake it for an hour. It's delicious, SUPER easy and with the serving sizes, very low cal. If you want to mix it up and add some extra protein or cals, you can add cheese (the hubby likes that, I tend to leave it out) and sometimes just for fun, I add chopped asparagus.
  • mistydawn76
    Options
    super easy casserole...6-8 chopped zuccini's (yellow and green), 2 diced tomatoes, 2-3 eggs (depending on how firm you want it), 1 1/2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs and a package of low fat kielbasa (turkey). Mix them all together, throw some bread crumbs on top, stick it in the oven-pre-heated at 350, and bake it for an hour. It's delicious, SUPER easy and with the serving sizes, very low cal. If you want to mix it up and add some extra protein or cals, you can add cheese (the hubby likes that, I tend to leave it out) and sometimes just for fun, I add chopped asparagus.

OMG this sound good to have for Breakfast!
  • findingfreedom
    Options
    Salsa chicken will be a hit! Let us know how it turns out!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    This recipe is very easy, very tasty and can be modified to be low cal if you replace the chicken thighs with boneless, skinless chicken breasts: http://www.mccormick.com/Recipes/Main-Dish/Rosemary-Baked-Chicken-with-Potatoes.aspx

You may need to make two batches with 8 people to feed! Just add a salad or a veggie and you're set!

When I sub the thighs for boneles skinless chicken breasts, it works out like this:

Calories: 240
    Carbs: 20
    Protein: 27
    Fat: 6
    Fiber: 2
  • Franola27
    Franola27 Posts: 30
    Options
    Oh yeah, I've made it when we have staff breakfasts at school and its a big hit! (they have no idea how low cal and good for them it is!) :wink:
  • mistydawn76
    Options
    Salsa Chicken was a TOTAL HIT!!! Thank you all!!

* bows down* You are the bestest!:flowerforyou:
  • SDLester
    SDLester Posts: 24
    Options
    I am sure this is too late for this gathering but I have a killer White Turkey Chili recipe... Not quite sure how you can get to it but I do have my food diary open to friends. Check there and see if you can get my recipes. If not let me know. If anyone else wants it please add me as a friend ;)
  • karaemoore
    karaemoore Posts: 45 Member
    Options

bump!!