Does This Seem Like Too Much?

Options
NewMK08
NewMK08 Posts: 399 Member
This is what I have for lunch every day-

Smart Ones-310
Yogurt-110
Orange-70

Do you think this is too many calories or too much food??
Just curious...:smile:

Replies

• NewMK08
    Options
    This is what I have for lunch every day-

Smart Ones-310
    Yogurt-110
    Orange-70

Do you think this is too many calories or too much food??
    Just curious...:smile:
  • aliciavasq
    Options
    I eat SmartOnes too and there are some with a lot less calories and as far as your yogurt try buying nonfat plain yogurt and mixing in your own fruit. I think your bigger meal should be breakfast though as cliche as it sounds it really fuels you for the day. :wink:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I try to keep lunch light. Maybe use the yogurt as a snack later on.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Base your caloric intake on your own personal body... our bodies all have different needs.

PS - I'm guessing by the calories in your yogurt that you are eating Yoplait Light... you know that Dannon Light only has 60 calories and the ingredients are better for you? That's a simple switch that could be made if you're worried.
  • NewMK08
    Options
    Base your caloric intake on your own personal body... our bodies all have different needs.

PS - I'm guessing by the calories in your yogurt that you are eating Yoplait Light... you know that Dannon Light only has 60 calories and the ingredients are better for you? That's a simple switch that could be made if you're worried.

Wow! That's a great tip on the yogurt...I'm going to have to switch!!

Any maybe I should mention that on a "light" day I'm burning 400-600 calories at the gym-On a heavy day, much more than that. If that helps!
  • mjfer123
    mjfer123 Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    that puts you at 490 cal's for lunch
    if you have about 500 cals per meal, no snacking and work out for 300 cals
    then that puts you at the very minimum of 1200 cal's per day.
    depending on what your intake should be Id say this is normal so long as you stay active.
    If you start throwing in snacks or sugary drinks etc, this could fluctuate a ton
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I usually do a microwave light soup (progresso or Healthy Select) - which are only 100 per container (almost two cups of soup)...then a Healthy Choice Meal (usually select 240-290 calories) - they come with a fruit cobbler dessert - so I get my sweet tooth filled...and all usually 350-400 calories between both and fills me up. Then I have a piece of fruit and yogurt for mid-afternoon snack - and I too only do the 60 calorie yogurts...so an orange/apple and yogurt - about 125-150 cals total. Lunch and afternoon snack then are no more than 450-550 calories...leaving me good for dinner.
  • aliciavasq
    Options
    those progresso soups are 100 calories per serving and they have 2 servings so really they are 200 calories
  • jowily
    jowily Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Alicia - you have to get the progresso light soups...I have a microwable one in front of me now (and they are also loaded into MFP). It says 60 calories per serving, about two servings, and it says on the front side 100 calorie per package. Right above the nutrition label it says:

This entire package contains about 2 servings. 1 POINTS VALUE per package. 100 Calories per package.

My eyes are still blurry looking at all the labels in the soup aisle to get the right ones. Progresso Light is 100 per container, and Campbells Select Harvest Light are 50 Cals per serving...just under 100 cal per container.

Hope my 20 minutes in the soup aisle can pay off for others!
  • Livi_Loves_Pink
    Options
    Personally I think 500 calories is pretty good for a lunch/dinner. You really need to go by how you feel though, and like others said maybe look for lower calorie substitues if you think you need to.

I tried Danon yogurt, but just really don't like it, so I stick with Yoplait. Of course I only have about one yogurt a week anyway though.

This is what I usually aim for calorie-wise:

Breakfast: 200 - 300
    Lunch: 300 - 500
    Dinner: 500 - 700

Plus 100 - 200 calorie snacks thrown in.
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    My "lunch" is 8 baby carrots, mozzarella string cheese and half a banana. So, like 156 calories! Sometimes I'll add in about 100 calories of some grain cracker.

However, I eat 5 small meals a day.
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Dannon is not quite as "creamy" as Yoplait... but it also doesn't have both aspartame AND high fructose corn syrup in it... and it's lower in calories :)
  • NewMK08
    Options
    My "lunch" is 8 baby carrots, mozzarella string cheese and half a banana. So, like 156 calories! Sometimes I'll add in about 100 calories of some grain cracker.

Oh my gosh...I don't think I could ever do this. I just love food too much *Sigh* :frown:

I think that's my problem...I want to feel full after a meal...But feeling full is kind of scarey for me also. Geez.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Here's the deal. It really depends on a bunch of things. Like how many calories you plan on consuming in a day. If you snack often, How you like to split your meals up.

I eat 4 200 calorie meals/snack, 1 100 calorie snack and 1 300 calorie meal. On days I exercise I add a hundred calories to a couple of meals. I'm a snacker so I like to eat all day long. I eat a lot of homemade soups so I get filled up
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options

Oh my gosh...I don't think I could ever do this. I just love food too much *Sigh* :frown:

I think that's my problem...I want to feel full after a meal...But feeling full is kind of scarey for me also. Geez.

See, for me I had to learn how to be satisfied and not full. The Japanese say that they want to be 70% full when they eat, and that's what I am aiming for. It's very hard to get used to it, but it's SO MUCH HEALTHIER to be satisfied instead of full!!!

Plus, your body gets used to it.
  • TheHottestMama
    Options
    heres my normal day

Morning
    1 piece of fruit (apple/orange/banna/peach/blueberries/raspberries)
    and a 90calorie special K cereal bar

Lunch
    carrot sticks
    cuccummber pieces
    1 turkey slice lunch meat
    string cheese
    :wink: OR:wink:
    soy organic yougart
    half a sandwhich
    100cal worth of goldfish OR a pieces of fruit

Dinner
    usually salad or soup

Snacks
    cashews...veggies...cheese...yougart possibly...fruit...ect
  • beebsbaas
    Options
    :noway:

I started this whole calorie counting thing 2 weeks ago TODAY (not a pound lost yet!). I started this because a phys. trainer suggested me to do so after seeing how frustrated i was with no results at the gym (WITHOUT counting cals...eating like a hog! oink oink)
    Anywho, im confused...with what i eat now compared to what im readin here its like im not even doin it right or making the right choices!!
    i now eat 100cal bagel in morning, turkey sandwich for lunch with light mayo/cheese/lite wheat bread, and for dinner i just eat a small portion than what i used to eat.
    DAAAAAAANG i thought i wouldve lost a pound by now with such a decrease! God this sucks, it really stinks living like this! Im like always looking at cals on drinks and such.
    ..im adjusted to this...somewhat!
    thanks for letting me vent at the end there....sorry!lol
    I think i just need some kinda support ya know, a lil push!
    ps
    whats with the new drinks out called Envigia (or something like that) is it an energy drink as well? it says 3x a day boost your body to burn cals, my boyfriend brought a crap load home for me and said, "See im supporting you." pshh!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    99095.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    :noway:

I started this whole calorie counting thing 2 weeks ago TODAY (not a pound lost yet!). I started this because a phys. trainer suggested me to do so after seeing how frustrated i was with no results at the gym (WITHOUT counting cals...eating like a hog! oink oink)
    Anywho, im confused...with what i eat now compared to what im readin here its like im not even doin it right or making the right choices!!
    i now eat 100cal bagel in morning, turkey sandwich for lunch with light mayo/cheese/lite wheat bread, and for dinner i just eat a small portion than what i used to eat.
    DAAAAAAANG i thought i wouldve lost a pound by now with such a decrease! God this sucks, it really stinks living like this! Im like always looking at cals on drinks and such.
    ..im adjusted to this...somewhat!
    thanks for letting me vent at the end there....sorry!lol
    I think i just need some kinda support ya know, a lil push!
    ps
    whats with the new drinks out called Envigia (or something like that) is it an energy drink as well? it says 3x a day boost your body to burn cals, my boyfriend brought a crap load home for me and said, "See im supporting you." pshh!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    99095.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Are you eatting enough? That includes eatting your exercise cals.

Make sure you are logging accurately, too. It is easy to be off by a lot if you aren't paying attention to serving size.

Water is another big one (I'm such a hypocrite, but I know it would help!)
  • DjBliss05
    DjBliss05 Posts: 682
    Options
    I prefer to eat three meals a day with two small snacks, usually. I like to feel satisfied after a meal and can't get there if I don't eat enough. My body is still adjusting to actually eatting my recommended calories on a consistent basis, so satisfied and full are not feelings I am so used to right now, lol.

I usually do about 400 cals for lunch and 350 for breakfast. Dinner usually runs a little higher than that, depending on the night. I have 1670 cal goal and realize that is higher than a lot of the smaller people on here! For where I am right now, it works though.

I am a big believer in doing what your body asks you to do. If you are starving at lunch and need 500 cals, then you need them. It isn't a good idea to ignore that and then binge later on things that are much higher in cals. If you are staying within your cals, find that you aren't starving, and are eatting at least three meals (if not the six small ones that a lot of people do) then it sounds like you are on the right track.
  • NewMK08
    Options
    Thank you, everyone, for your responses! Sometimes I just feel like I'm eating too much during the day, even though I'm staying within my calories. Does that make sense? I hope everyone had a great Wednesday!