C25K question

Options
danksj
danksj Posts: 12 Member
I am going to be running a 5K on May 7th. I have ran in the past and am just getting back into it.

My question is can I do the couch to 5K plan in 4-5 weeks instead of 9-10? Would I be able to run 6 days a week instead of only 3. How much of a rest period should I give myself.

I am not looking to run it competitively I just want to be able to finish. I also lift weights/fitness class twice a week and am finishing up EA Sports Active (Easy Level - two weeks left).

Does anyone have a shorter training schedule for a 5K? Is it reasonable to train that much and be ready.

(side note: I have pretty bad shin splints right now as well.)

Replies

• hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing...
  • mandijo
    mandijo Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    The beginning might not be so hard to cram more workouts in, but I would make sure to stretch really well and not push yourself too hard. Run at a pace that almost feels too slow and see what it does. Once you get to week 5-6 you have longer runs and then you'll want a few rest days. I'm not as experienced as others, so I wouldn't take my advice as concrete, but that would be my opinion.
  • nwiltse2
    nwiltse2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have found it easier to start at week 3 instead of week 1. That would save a couple of weeks for you
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    It depends on how fit you are at the time. You might not need to start in the very beginning. Maybe starting at week 4 or even week 5 would be ok for you.

Personally, I don't like to run more than every other day, now that I put in a decent distance every time I run.

But first, I'd get those shin splints under control.
  • KClarke861
    KClarke861 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I will finish C25K on Saturday and will run my first 5K on the same day:happy: . I've started C25K about 4 times before this and quit each time between weeks 3 and 5 (see article below). There have been times when I completed two weeks worth of runs in one week, but it became a little more difficult to keep up with this pace at the end. Everything that I read about running encourages rest days. If you try to complete the program in less than the suggested time, then you will have fewer rest days and run the risk of overexertion or injury. If you decide to cram the program into shorter weeks, then it might be wise to give yourself adequate rest and stretching exercises on your off days. Hope this helps!

KC

P.S.
    You might find this article interesting:
    http://www.c25k.com/finishing.htm
  • coop644c
    coop644c Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    depends on how fit you currenlty are. I would just get out and run 3 miles at say a 10 minute mile pace just to see where you are. If that seems easy you could start off mid program. If you start to struggle or walk some of it. I may start at the beginning, like you said you aren't trying to win, just complete it. I started back running Jan 6th very very slow. I've lost about 25 pounds and i ran a 5k last weekend in 23:40. My current workout is Monday- 1.5 mile run very fast followed by 45 minutes of calisthenics, Tuesday abb workout. Wed. Stadium stairs 35 to 50 minutes varies with weather, Thursday calisthenics with max, Friday 6 to 8 miles slow pace varies with weather, saturday 2 to 3 hours basketball.
  • danksj
    danksj Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas. I think I will start off in a later week. I was thinking the first weeks seemed pretty easy and I am able to handle more.

Thanks again!