Measuring yourself

Options
I've never done it.
I don't know what to measure and how to measure some of them.
And how often to measure them?
Cause i havnt been losing pounds but everyones like woah you look skinny.
I need to start.
Any tips, or anything? :D

Replies

• xxxbeckibooxxx
    Options
    measure the fullest part of your hips and measure ur waist
    measure it in inches and do it about every 2-4 week :) x
  • Akaratel
    Akaratel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I only lost 0.50 pounds, but I lost 1-1/2" in my hips this week. Measuring is good because you are building muscle as well, so the scale may not change.. I measure and enter my weight once a week :) Just straight around your hips, around your neck, and your waste (I do near my belly button-where your pants lay)
  • laaranda
    laaranda Posts: 4
    Options
    Also measure your bicep (with your arm sticking straight out & not hanging at your side), the biggest part of your thigh, and your calf. If you measure the right calf, thigh, arm, then ALWAYS measure that side and never switch to the other arm or leg. Oh, and don't forget to measure your bust!
  • evanness
    evanness Posts: 25
    Options
    For the last weight-loss program I did they had you measure your chest, arms, waist, hips, and thighs. The best way is to find a sewing measuring tape that you can wrap around and measure the inches. Measuring your body fat percentage is also an important measurement but you need some specific tools for that so that's a little harder.
  • MandeeSue
    MandeeSue Posts: 153
    Options
    I know what you mean, I had not measured and started P90X no weight loss..but ppl was saying they could tell I was losing..So I started measuring and last week I had lost a total of 5 1/2 inches all over. I use www.bodybuilding.com it is a free website..When you make a bodyspace it has where you measure, and a video of how to measure. Also it keeps track for you :) Good luck !!
  • CouchGoblin
    CouchGoblin Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wait... Y'all don't flex when you measure your bicep? Not just to feel like a silly gym bro but it not only helps track muscle development in you arm but if your buying a shirt with sleeves you'll want the material to fit your arm when your moving around.

Side hustle seamstress adding her 2 cents
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    6mo9u3pg1dub.jpeg
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,948 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    @ddsb1111 -- where is my waist?

Should people measure at their belly button? Above? Below? What happens to people whose belly button has moved? "Narrowest" part of one's upper torso?--how does that work for someone who is obese or was?

All of the above have been used!

I prefer to use: https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/9789241501491

Summary and conclusions
    Waist circumference should be measured at the midpoint between the lower margin of the
    [lowest] palpable rib and the top of the iliac crest, using a stretch‐resistant tape that provides a
    constant 100 g tension [and is parallel to the ground as can be observed in a mirror or with assistance].

Hip circumference should be measured around the widest portion of the buttocks, with the tape parallel to the floor.

For both measurements, the subject should stand with feet close together, arms at the side
    and body weight evenly distributed, and should wear little clothing. The subject should be
    relaxed, and the measurements should be taken at the end of a normal expiration.

Eachmeasurement should be repeated twice; if the measurements are within 1 cm of one
    another, the average should be calculated. If the difference between the two
    measurements exceeds 1 cm, the two measurements should be repeated.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    @PAV8888 Thank you that’s really helpful 😊 I’m ordering a measuring tape so I can fill out that diagram. Not sure why I’ve never considered it before.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,948 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Observe people observing their mirror.... finding iliac crest...bone, bone... tipy tipy THAT HIGH???? Where is my rib? where is my rib? poke... Is that a rib? poke, poke.... oh, hmmmm... THE MIDPOINT?!?!? I don't have enough fingers!!!! Bring out the marker!!!! Where? Where? There! OK tape... is that straight? Is that parallel? Is it DIPPING? Where are my glasses? GLASSES! Dang tape! Did I exhale? Was that a good exhale?

Trust me... it's an adventure! :wink:

Good luck!