Rheumatoid Arthritis

Options
Hey All!

This is my first post on here and I'm just trying to find people who have Rheumatoid Arthritis and how that affects you and your exercise! I have had some pain for a while and my doc just had me do blood work today (so results are still not in) but I'm prepping for what will most likely be.

Any advice would be very much appreciated!

Hilary :)

Replies

• lyarrow
    lyarrow Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi Hillary,

I have osteoarthritis in both knees from a car accident. I have been using an elliptical alot which is comfortable for my knees. I started the 30 day shred this week and found out I can't even do the 6 minutes of cardio in it because the impact exercises (jumping jacks, etc.) caused my knees to swell and stiffen. So now I just do the boxing move during the cardio sections and then do all the strengthening and ab sections.

I have talked to two professional health persons in the physical therapy field and they both confirmed I should avoid impact exercises.

To reduce the swelling, pain, and inflammation, I recently started on glucosamine and chondroitin. I also take fish oil supplements to help allieviate inflammation. My main goal is to lose more weight to take stress off the knees.

Exercise is important so good luck in finding what is comfortable for you.

Linda
  • Hil1987
    Hil1987 Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank you so much, Linda! I definitely needed some encouragement! It is a little disheartening since I have always loved to be so active, but good to know what to try and avoid. I absolutely appreciate your help on this! THANK YOU, THANK YOU!
  • lyarrow
    lyarrow Posts: 10
    Options
    I used to run regularly and loved it and pouted for about 12 years that I had to quit! lol The ellipitcal has been a lifesaver for me. I have it in the home because I live in the country and it's quite a distance to drive to a fitness center. If we lived near a pool, I would be doing that regularly also because it is great for all forms of arthritis.

I have also been able to walk long distances (3-4 miles) without difficulty and very little discomfort.

Fish oil has been shown to be beneficial in reducing inflammation and even my doc mentioned this morning that he doesn't know why everyone isn't taking fish oil because of the heart benefits. Caution for anyone who is taking blood thinners - fish oil may not be recommended.

Linda