Increased hunger before period

Options
Hi. I'm fairly new to my fitness pal. Initially, I just used it to look up calories in various foods, but now I am finally using it to track my daily caloric intake.

I am 10 days away from my period and I noticed that I am much hungrier than I usually am. I have noticed this trend for the past four months now... 7-10 days before my period I began to feel hungry all day long (for 2-3 days). My appetite is insatiable. I could spend the whole day snacking and still not feel full. The biggest problem is that if I try to ignore it and wait for my next meal, I get a stomach ache because I am so hungry. I just started tracking my calories so I can lose another 15 pounds, so I have been very cautious about what I am eating and I do not eat anything other than what I have planned for the day, but I get terrible stomach aches.

Does anyone else experience the same problem? Is this a common problem? What is the reason for the increase in hunger? What can I do about it (besides eat)?

Thanks.

Replies

• FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I don't know why either, but mine is just a day or two aroud the start ofmine. Seriously! It is insane! I just try to have good chocolate around me and salty things like almonds. Try to keep your snacks as healthy as possible. I know what you are saying!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Well your body is preparing to feed a baby. While you may eat more calories during this time, it goes to nutrient rich blood and not to fat. If your stomach hurts, it is your body saying it is not getting what it needs and that you need to eat more. I would suggest more fat, protein, and high iron foods during this time so that you do not become anemic. Your body is asking for more nutrients, and if you don't provide them it will take them from your muscles, hair, nails, and organs. Please feed it.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I don't know why either, but mine is just a day or two aroud the start ofmine. Seriously! It is insane! I just try to have good chocolate around me and salty things like almonds. Try to keep your snacks as healthy as possible. I know what you are saying!

Notice both the things she mentions she eats during this time are full of fat. That is what your body needs!
  • erintgaffaney
    Options
    This definitely does happen to me as well! However, it is most apparent for me during my period. I either metabolize things more quickly, or maybe it's because when you menstruate, your body naturally releases hormones that relax your muscles (to alleviate cramps), and doing so also relaxes the muscles in your GI tract. Crazy how the body works. The point is, I end up going to the bathroom with greater frequency and so always feel empty and am hungry more. I need to be more cognizant of this so I don't stuff myself with fatty, carby foods at this time of my cycle.
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options
    i experience the same thing. i usually just go ahead and snack within reason. i'm not saying that i turn to celery sticks b/c that is not the same as craving chocolate.

my problem is not sincere hunger though it's just cravings that are so intense that my brain gets tricked. however, cravings really are there for a reason in this case. I always crave things like steak and salmon for days and days before i get mine b/c my body is gearing up for all the iron and things my body will be losing in the near future. and day one always calls for chocolate cravings. so what i do is break up a chocolate square into 4-5 little pieces and i suck on them so that they last longer and i piece turns into 5. keeps my brain calm, my body happy, and the cravings to a minimum.

you know your body best so do what you think is right for you and know that you are not alone.

good luck!
  • 1hotmama2b
    1hotmama2b Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So funny to find this today- I find for about a day before and the first day or two of I am starving. I haven't had to worry about it for awhile, because I was pregnant then breastfeeding, but I would love to know why this is too... I know when I've been able to not eat (in agony), I have lost weight BIG TIME.... That was before the last baby though...lol
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    Hi

it happens the same to me. More in the winter time than in spring or summer though.

I usually try to eat more often then, have small snacks during all day, instead of bigger meals separated, therefore, there's no danger in overeating.

I also work out more, and drink lots of herbal tea that is naturally sweet like lemongrass or licorice root. They make the cravings for something sweet go away. After working out I also drink water with Emergen-C vitamin C, so I fill up with the minerals I lost, and it's kinda sweet as well.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Is probably the hormones but it happens for a few days to me too. I crave chocolate but try and have hot chocolate now. Just try and have evenly spaced snacks . TOM is a nightmare!
  • aneajo
    aneajo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Same here. Its gets really hard sometimes. This time tho I am finding, exercise is holding it at bay. The last few months, I felt like I could just sit in the chip aisle and have at it. Then head over to the pop and candy aisle. LOL
  • rockabyesarojane
    Options

Notice both the things she mentions she eats during this time are full of fat. That is what your body needs!

yes. you made the point better than i did.

i agree that our bodies are more insistent in telling us what we need to have more of in our system during this time. if you are willing to listen you will have a much easier time during TOM.
  • PeaceMe
    PeaceMe Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    HI! I was looking over my "reports" yesterday and I noticed the same phenomena. My caloric intake increased by 300 calories at its peak. My increase started about 4 days before. My strategy is to eat more low calorie foods that MAY help satisfy cravings. I'm thinking strawberries and other sweet fruits, and having frozen yogurt on hand so I don't dip into my hubbys treats. Also nutrient dense grains like oatmeal are handy to have. I also started taking nature made for her liquid-gel multivitamins, they're easy on the stomach, and my theory is that I wont crave certain foods (as much) if I already have a higher intake of vitamins to start. I hope the vitamins will also help with the associated premenstrual fatigue that I despise. And of coarse , exercise and water blah blah blah ;)

BTW My I noticed that less calories were consumed after the end of my period that any other time. Idk if I do this out of guilt or if it occurs naturally, I guess this provides some type of balance? Just another theory lol.
  • Raamar
    Raamar Posts: 3
    Options
    Well...THANK GOODNESS I am not the only one! Thanks for the advice.

Does anyone get nausea for a couple of days afterward the period of non-stop eating? Do you think it cancels each other out? Like you eat non-stop for a few days, then cannot eat anything for a few days?
  • Gettinfit2
    Gettinfit2 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    HI! I was looking over my "reports" yesterday and I noticed the same phenomena. My caloric intake increased by 300 calories at its peak. My increase started about 4 days before. My strategy is to eat more low calorie foods that MAY help satisfy cravings. I'm thinking strawberries and other sweet fruits, and having frozen yogurt on hand so I don't dip into my hubbys treats. Also nutrient dense grains like oatmeal are handy to have. I also started taking nature made for her liquid-gel multivitamins, they're easy on the stomach, and my theory is that I wont crave certain foods (as much) if I already have a higher intake of vitamins to start. I hope the vitamins will also help with the associated premenstrual fatigue that I despise. And of coarse , exercise and water blah blah blah ;)

BTW My I noticed that less calories were consumed after the end of my period that any other time. Idk if I do this out of guilt or if it occurs naturally, I guess this provides some type of balance? Just another theory lol.

Yes, I am hungrier before my period and I do not eat as much after my period. I have noticed the trend. I try to eat a really large salad with protein to fill the hunger. Also, peanut butter smoothies help me. I don't really get chocolate cravings.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    If something happened where the outer layer of flesh on my arm shedded off and I needed to regenerate it I would imagine that it would take a certain amount of calories to do it.

If that layer was shedded due to some activity I did myself, there's more energy I expended.

How much energy (many calories) do you think you'd need to take a cheese grater to your arm and then proceed to grow back the epidermis? :-)

DON'T fight PMS. Try for high protein snacking to help with the monthly healing.