pampered Chef pizza stone

Options
I have had a pizza stone in the box for close to 10 yrs now. I would like to start using it but I am not sure if it needs to be treated or if there is a seasoning process I need to do before actually cooking on it. Or if it really is even necessary to do anything and I can just start using it.

Replies

• Robrowald
    Robrowald Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I never seasoned mine and it has been just fine. going on 5 years use.
  • DEE4560
    DEE4560 Posts: 139
    Options

Do you immerse it in water to clean it or just scrap and wipe with a damp cloth.
  • rlpetersen
    Options
    I used to sell Pampered Chef and there is no real need to season it. I have never seasoned any of mine and they are all just fine.
    And can I just say I LOVE them!!!!!
  • tcooper81
    tcooper81 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I scrape and wipe with a wet towel. I don't think you're supposed to use soap on them, or at least I never have. They are my favorite thing to bake with.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options

Do you immerse it in water to clean it or just scrap and wipe with a damp cloth.

I hold mine under running water while wiping it clean with a dishcloth when necessary.
  • BethFox
    BethFox Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of them. If I remember correctly you're supposed to cook something oily on them initially (I remember the instructions saying something about baking a roll of biscuits on them first. You know the kind you get in the refrigerated section of the grocery). The oil seeps into the porous stone and helps with the initial "seasoning". The more you use them the more they get "seasoned" (mine are almost totally black now).

I rinse my under hot water and use the plastic scraper to clean them. NEVER use soap on the stones! You don't want to stone to absorb the flavor. :p Happy baking!
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything to it. The dough and random oils with season it as time goes on. Use cornmeal so your pizza does not stick.
    Put it into a cold oven then turn the oven on so you don't crack it. Get the stone really hot (500 degrees)
    I ruined a stone by putting oil on it to season it, and the oil just smoked every time and then turned the whole stone black.
    Scrub the stone with water only and let dry. Soap will seep into the stone and you will have soapy pizza-yuk!