Dieting & Drinking

Options
Ok So I know that dieting and drinking alcohol do not go together. However I was wondering how you factor it into your diet. I feel like that can be my down fall on the weekends. I workout hard during the week & watch what I eat but feel like if I drink on the weekends then I have just shot my whole week. I don't drink a lot but I enjoy being able to have a couple of drinks some weekends with my husband. Normally it is just wine and very once in awhile a beer. I hardly ever drink liquor. I was wondering becuase tonight I am going out with friends for mexican and drinks. I went to the gym this morning and have been trying to really watch what I eat today sicne I know tonight will be bad for teh calories. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice. Thanks

Replies

• missxlaur
    missxlaur Posts: 286
    Options
    when i go out, i drink vodka and soda water which has around 75 calories. i just try as best as i can to factor in the alcohol calories into my day. if i know i'm going to be drinking, i'll eat better for the day. it is hard though and sometimes i blow it too, but if you try to be conscious of what your alcohol is being mixed with or how many calories are in beer or wine, you should be ok.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have a glass of water with alcohol. I usually just have a glass of wine or two and count the calories. I only drink on the weekends and I don't think it has had any impact on my weight loss.
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I drink wine every night before dinner, but I count it into my calories. Basically, if I don't workout, I have to skip the wine or a meal! It keeps me accountable!
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Two things: Moderation, and LOG IT.

I know it seems really obvious, but really, enjoy the things you wish to, perhaps try to alternate the alcohol-drinks with water? (Reducing the number of 'empty calories') And enter it into MFP. Sometimes finding out how many cals are in some of that is enough to at least give one pause before that third glass... But if it is something you enjoy occasionally, I would not say to cut it entirely out of your life - this is about lifestyle shifts, not beating yourself up over each thing you want that might not be the healthiest option.
  • GoldenGirl1979
    GoldenGirl1979 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    i find that straight liquor (chased w/a low/no calorie beverage) works best for me! one shot of stoli vodka is only 64 calories :-) i think there's a "lush" thread on this site somewhere... they should be able to offer some ideas!! good luck
  • irishrose22
    irishrose22 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i count it just like i count food. if i know I am going out to drink, my workout is usually a little longer, more extensive. Although, since i have been on here, because i count everything, i tend to not drink as much because i like to use my cal for food. :)
  • umcheer
    umcheer Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi there,
    You should definitely enjoy your weekends with your husband and a few drinks. I do the same!!!! There are websites that will tell you how many calories are in wine and beer and certain mixed drinks. Good Luck and enjoy :smile:
  • iDreamNEON
    iDreamNEON Posts: 112
    Options
    I Hate Say It But I Find Taking Straight Shots Keeps Me Away From Too Many Unwanted Calories. Mixed Drinks Usually Have Extra Sugar And What Not But Have The Same Alcohol Content As Taking A Shot. I Say Skip The Mixers and Fork On The Beer. Or Drink Light Beer If It's What You Really Love.

Mexican? Shots Of Tequila Then =]
  • gburkhart2
    gburkhart2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself, but the calories from the alcohol itself really isn't the issue:

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/alcohol.htm
  • ksloop00
    ksloop00 Posts: 144
    Options
    I have not drank alcohol since I started this, but I am going to a club in a few weeks to see a friend of mine and his band. I only like Jack and Coke, Sex on the Beach, and Long Island Iced Tea. I've looked those up on here and I was just going to put them in as snacks. I'll just watch my calories in the daytime and make sure I eat before I go. I hope this helps, I don't usually drink.
    Kim
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I'm a Grey Goose Vodka type of girl...so now that I'm watching my cal intake I drink it with either Grapefruit juice or Club Soda. I only drink on the weekends if I go out or to a party. I try to save some of my daily cals for my drinking.
  • lfclancy
    lfclancy Posts: 46
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice. I just started on here and had not been drinking since I started. So now I will have to log it and that will make me more accountable. :smile: