No wonder Im so tierd!

Options
fitniknik
fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
I dont eat NEARLY enough protien in any given day!
Anyone have any suggestions. Im thinking about swapping my Carnation Instant Breakfast out for a Protien shake to maybe up my DV....
Anyone have any suggestions on good tasting/lower calorie/higher protien shakes?? Ohhh.. .also a reasonable cost!

thanks everyone!

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    forget shakes , it real food , eggs , fish chicken , nuts peanut butter!
  • hifinm
    hifinm Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Costco has some chocolate protein shakes that have 30 grams of protein and only 180 calories. they taste good. I think they come in a 18 pack for about 24 bucks
  • PoorGirlEatingHealthy
    Options
    Try adding a little more meat...or if you not into that try tofu. :)
  • kaylou
    kaylou Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Designer Whey...I love it. 100 calories per scoop and high in protien! I have it with almond milk every morning for breakfast
  • terrijean04
    terrijean04 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I use a few diferent kinds my fav is Premier vanilla flavor ready to drink shake...30 grams protien 160 calories ... I get em at costco
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    Jillian Michaels whey protein powder is $10 for a tub at Walmart. 100 cal. 15 protein. 3 fiber. Comes in 2 flavors. It's not terrible but it's not exactly delicious either. It's one of the lowest calorie options I could find. I sometimes double the mixture and grab a light salad and makes a perfect low cal but very filling lunch. G'luck!
  • Monique9
    Monique9 Posts: 1
    Options
    Atkins shakes are really good, and good for you - lot's of vitamins
  • dcstraw
    dcstraw Posts: 2
    Options
    Pure Protein bars are really yummy! I eat one each morning for breakfast after a workout. They have different flavors and has 20 g of protein. You get to eat (instead of drink, which I like), and it tastes like a yummy bar! I get them at Wal-mart - easy!
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    First poster had it right. You should get your protein from FOOD not from shakes. Eat some meat every day. I went a jump skip and a hop (twice or three times) over my protein yesterday just by eating chicken at lunch and turkey at dinner. A well balanced meal at every meal will help you get everything you need for the day and then some.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    I love my EAS vanilla whey protein. It comes in a 5lb bag at sam's club for $30. 26 g of protein and 160 calories. I have it with skim milk and it tastes like melted vanilla ice cream.

If you just want to eat more protein, I suggest adding more chicken or turkey into your diet.
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I'll mix a couple of scoops of the EAS whey protein with some fruit and yogurt for a protein boost. Usually for breakfast though, I have to have realy food though so I resort to my version of an egg mcmuffin - whole grain english muffin with 2 slices of canadian bacon, low fat American cheese and an egg white - 20g of protein right off the bat. Other days I'll make a whole grain waffle and scramble up a couple of egg whites and an egg - 20g of protein in that too.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Im used to drinking my carnation every morning.. and I like it- Its way fast because I wake up at the last possible second. I wouldnt normally go with a "shake" but I like that for breakfast... Thought it would be an easy swap.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    So far, I've only tried one Protein Powder: Pure Protein Vanilla Creme. They have it at both Target and my supermarket, and one or the other generally has it on sale. http://www.target.com/Pure-Protein-Vanilla-Cream-Powder/dp/B003V5PUZQ

Nutrition info per 34g scoop:

Calories: 140
    Carbs: 3g
    Fat: 3g
    Protein: 25g
    Fiber: 0
    Sodium: 95
  • Fat2FitChick
    Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    It's ok to drink protein shakes, they aren't the devil. You have to do what it best for you. Yes getting your protein from your food would be ideal and the best way but if you are short on time protein shakes are good to help get more protein into your diet. See if you can get more protein from your food and if you still need more have a shake as well.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    Buy a large container of protein powder and mix up your own. Very quick, very easy. Unless you have a problem with processed stuff, and since you have carnation instant breakfast for breakfast I'm guessing you don't, it is a quick and easy way to get your protein and not break the bank on calories. It is possible to do it with less processed foods, but I find a quick protein shake after I work out is much easier than cooking up a meal. I just tried Whey Sensations Banana Cream, and Cookies 'n' Cream yesterday. They both taste quite good. Optimum Nutritions stuff tastes good as well. We have used the vanilla one from Costco, I forget the name right now, and it is not bad either. I was not very satisfied with the Chocolate Whey Protein Extra Isolate from Nutrition House as the flavor is lacking somehow, but mixed with other stuff it is just fine. Basically look for high protein content, with very little fat and carbohydrates. You can then add the fat and carbs by making it with milk, and if you do it in a blender, throw in some fruit as well.
  • MNbooklady
    Options
    I agree with everyone else's suggestions on the protein shakes, but I like the Special K shakes the most. They are delicious! I also have a Magic Bullet at home - so I'll open up a Special K shake, pour it in a cup with some crushed ice and a couple sweet n low's or equals and turn it into a smoothie. A blender would do the same thing if you don't have a MB. Quite yummy, healthy, helps with the sugar craving too because it makes it like you're eating ice cream! The strawberry is the best.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else's suggestions on the protein shakes, but I like the Special K shakes the most. They are delicious! I also have a Magic Bullet at home - so I'll open up a Special K shake, pour it in a cup with some crushed ice and a couple sweet n low's or equals and turn it into a smoothie. A blender would do the same thing if you don't have a MB. Quite yummy, healthy, helps with the sugar craving too because it makes it like you're eating ice cream! The strawberry is the best.

I use my protein powder with 8 oz skim ilk and 1 cup frozen berries. Same idea in that the frozen berries make it extremely thick an milkshake-like.
  • kerri76
    kerri76 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Athlete's Honey Milk Light, 150 cals, 20 grams of protein. I LOVE the taste and it is made from real milk.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    Im used to drinking my carnation every morning.. and I like it- Its way fast because I wake up at the last possible second. I wouldnt normally go with a "shake" but I like that for breakfast... Thought it would be an easy swap.

You could do some Chobani it has 12 grams of protien, if that is not enough use it to make a smoothie and add a scoop of protien powder to it.
  • Badunkadunk_Buster
    Badunkadunk_Buster Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I haven't eatten breakfast for probably 20 years, hard habbit to break. I have a Jillian Michaels drink every morning in the car on the way to work now. 180 cals, 7g of fiber and 16g of protein. It is basically my breakfast now.