Are beverages keeping you from losing weight?

Options
This article is one reason why I like my Water.

written by Dr Joy Bauer

66% percent of Americans are overweight - and liquid calories are part of the problem. Guzzle a 20-ounce bottle of Pepsi and it will cost you 250 calories...order that Starbucks Venti Caramel Macchiato and you're looking at 340 calories. Although loaded beverages can be a delicious occasional splurge, when it comes to managing your weight, remember to account for those calories - and moderate your intake.

Follow these 3 tips to avoid packing on the pounds:

1. Think before you drink.
Be mindful of beverages loaded with caloric ingredients like sugar, corn syrup, fructose, milk, cream, syrup, special flavoring, and even fruit juice. When it comes to managing your weight, calorie-free water will always be your best bet.

2. Calculate the "total calories" you'll be drinking - not just one serving.
Many beverages list calories per serving but pack 2 or more servings into each bottle. Make sure you look at the serving size...and calculate how many servings (and total calories) are included in one container.

3. Healthy drinks can also pack on the pounds. Just because a product claims to be "all natural" or contains "no refined/added sugars" doesn't mean it's calorie-free. For example, 100% fruit juice and fruit smoothies are filled with nutrition, but also often high in calories. If you're watching your weight, you are better off eating fruit versus drinking it.

Consider this: Trim 500 liquid calories from your daily diet and you'll save 3,500 calories a week. That's potentially one pound of fat lost per week and more than 50 pounds lost at the end of the year!

Total calories in popular beverages:

Soda

Soda (20-oz. bottle) = 250 calories
7-Eleven Big Gulp (32 oz.) = 400 calories
Large movie theatre soda (44 oz.) = 550 calories
7-Eleven Double Big Gulp (64 oz.) = 800 calories

Tea and Coffee Drinks

Snapple Peach Iced Tea (16-oz. bottle) = 200 calories
Arizona Lemon Iced Tea (20 oz.) = 225 calories
Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino:
Tall (12 oz.) = 200 calories
Grande (16 oz.) = 260 calories
Venti (24 oz.) = 380 calories
Starbucks Caramel Macchiato Grande (16 oz.) = 270 calories
Starbucks Chai Iced Tea Latte Grande (16 oz.) 260 calories
Dunkin' Donuts, Coffee Coolatta (16 oz. w/2% milk) = 190 calories

Fruit Beverages

Jamba Juice: Banana Berry (classic smoothie):
16 oz. = 280 calories
24 oz. Original = 450 calories
30 oz. Power = 600 calories
POM Pomegranate Juice (16 oz.) = 320 calories
Orange Juice (pint container, 16 oz.) = 220 calories
Orange Juice (one cup) = 110 calories
Naked Juice, Orange Mango Motion (16-oz. container) = 240 calories
Odwalla Citrus C Monster (16-oz. container) = 300 calories
Country Time lemonade (12-oz. can) = 130 calories
Minute Maid lemonade (20-oz. bottle) = 260 calories

Flavored Waters and Sports Drinks

Vitamin Water (20-oz bottle) = 125 calories
Life Water (20 oz.) = 125 calories
Gatorade (20 oz.) = 125 calories

Replies

• melissa73
    melissa73 Posts: 368
    Options
    This article is one reason why I like my Water.

written by Dr Joy Bauer

66% percent of Americans are overweight - and liquid calories are part of the problem. Guzzle a 20-ounce bottle of Pepsi and it will cost you 250 calories...order that Starbucks Venti Caramel Macchiato and you're looking at 340 calories. Although loaded beverages can be a delicious occasional splurge, when it comes to managing your weight, remember to account for those calories - and moderate your intake.

Follow these 3 tips to avoid packing on the pounds:

1. Think before you drink.
    Be mindful of beverages loaded with caloric ingredients like sugar, corn syrup, fructose, milk, cream, syrup, special flavoring, and even fruit juice. When it comes to managing your weight, calorie-free water will always be your best bet.

2. Calculate the "total calories" you'll be drinking - not just one serving.
    Many beverages list calories per serving but pack 2 or more servings into each bottle. Make sure you look at the serving size...and calculate how many servings (and total calories) are included in one container.

3. Healthy drinks can also pack on the pounds. Just because a product claims to be "all natural" or contains "no refined/added sugars" doesn't mean it's calorie-free. For example, 100% fruit juice and fruit smoothies are filled with nutrition, but also often high in calories. If you're watching your weight, you are better off eating fruit versus drinking it.

Consider this: Trim 500 liquid calories from your daily diet and you'll save 3,500 calories a week. That's potentially one pound of fat lost per week and more than 50 pounds lost at the end of the year!

Total calories in popular beverages:

Soda

Soda (20-oz. bottle) = 250 calories
    7-Eleven Big Gulp (32 oz.) = 400 calories
    Large movie theatre soda (44 oz.) = 550 calories
    7-Eleven Double Big Gulp (64 oz.) = 800 calories

Tea and Coffee Drinks

Snapple Peach Iced Tea (16-oz. bottle) = 200 calories
    Arizona Lemon Iced Tea (20 oz.) = 225 calories
    Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino:
    Tall (12 oz.) = 200 calories
    Grande (16 oz.) = 260 calories
    Venti (24 oz.) = 380 calories
    Starbucks Caramel Macchiato Grande (16 oz.) = 270 calories
    Starbucks Chai Iced Tea Latte Grande (16 oz.) 260 calories
    Dunkin' Donuts, Coffee Coolatta (16 oz. w/2% milk) = 190 calories

Fruit Beverages

Jamba Juice: Banana Berry (classic smoothie):
    16 oz. = 280 calories
    24 oz. Original = 450 calories
    30 oz. Power = 600 calories
    POM Pomegranate Juice (16 oz.) = 320 calories
    Orange Juice (pint container, 16 oz.) = 220 calories
    Orange Juice (one cup) = 110 calories
    Naked Juice, Orange Mango Motion (16-oz. container) = 240 calories
    Odwalla Citrus C Monster (16-oz. container) = 300 calories
    Country Time lemonade (12-oz. can) = 130 calories
    Minute Maid lemonade (20-oz. bottle) = 260 calories

Flavored Waters and Sports Drinks

Vitamin Water (20-oz bottle) = 125 calories
    Life Water (20 oz.) = 125 calories
    Gatorade (20 oz.) = 125 calories

• LuvinLife
    LuvinLife Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have to say, these were probably the easiest for me to give up. Really, the only calories I drink in my normal day is the creamer in my coffee. Otherwise, I drink water, crystal light, or diet pop. I do drink an occasional glass of skim milk because I LOVE:heart: milk. I can't seem to stay within my calories if I drink anything with any type of substantial calories. Another plus is it saves money.
  • tithen_loth_nim
    Options
    Probably. lol.

I don't drink coffee or tea (for the fact I hate it if it's not super sweet, and sweeteners don't do it for me. So one large reusable mug can have up to 1/4 cup of sugar in it )

I do however drink pop at work. I know I shouldn't, but all we have in our vending machine is pop, pop and more pop! And I hate tap water, so I have to run across the parking lot (not easy in business clothing) to grab water.. and I always end up getting flavored stuff with more artificial sweeteners (I suffer from migraines and aspertame can do me in in under 30 min sometimes)