Flavoured drink suggestions?

Options
nokittyno
nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
Hello all!

I have been having a Medium(250 cal)/Large(350 cal) French Vanilla once a day since I was 17 years old. Now as you can see they are super high in calories and for the last 2 weeks I have only had one medium(horray!) Problem is they were my favourite drink - and I do miss it. I hate coffee, I think it's disgusting but I like flavoured like things:
French Vanilla Cappuccino
Starbucks Bottled Mocha
Starbucks Mocha Energy Drink with Ginseng
etc etc

So I tried a medium Tim Hortons coffee with 2 cream and 2 splenda, and a shot of French Vanilla but it was gross(about 115 calories - way better) and then I tried it with two shotsof FV, nope, crappy. I tried a Butter Caramel Shot - sucked. So I really want a warm low calorie substitute that I can enjoy so I don't long for it. I notice Starbucks has a Skinny Camamel macchiato - has anyone tried it? is it good? I mean - if I hate coffee but love flavoured things do you think this (140 cal/Grande) drink would satisfy me?

Any suggestions would be great. Also - I live in Canada so I need local advice. I also tried Nescafe Latte boxes, light hot chocolate but with the addition of milk(watered Hot chocolate = unforgiving and blah) adds to about 300 calories give or take. So any Starbucks or timmies suggestions (I also dislike tea)

Thanks ahead of time. :)

Replies

• MoonGurl1985
    Options
    Crystal Light has great choices and the Life Waters are amazing as well.
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    I used to get starbucks ALL the time! I switched from a regular caramel macchiatto to a skinny, and it took a couple of time to adjust to it, but now I love it!! and at mcdonalds I have them make my coffee with nonfat milk instead of 2%. it doesnt taste any different!
  • ericaq
    ericaq Posts: 29
    Options
    I like tea - Bigelow, specifically...not sure if its available in Canada - Caramel/Vanilla flavored. To it I add a little bit of Almond Milk and one packet of Stevia, all natural sweetener. It's SO GOOD and cappuccino like!
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    are you talking about a hot flavored drink....coffee-like, but not coffee? I have had the same problem....my weakness was for White Chocolate Mochas at Starbucks...but they are high in calories...and I've tried a Skinny Vanilla Latte(a grande is only 130 calories, and I get a tall) but I don't really like it either.....also...I've tried the Crystal Light lemonade things that you add to water...I hated it....it was so sweet and tart...and I didn't even put the whole flavor pouch in there....so anyway...I have the same problem you do...wish I could help...I also would like to hear people's suggestions...
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Fellow Canadian here:

I usually order a Timmy's medium black coffee with 1/4 french vanilla cappuccino for a mere 45 calories. Sweet without being sickly sweet. You have to specifically ask for how you want your coffee done. They'll do this for the toffee caramel too!

My suggestion is, if your favorite coffee shop adds flavors to coffee, ask them to add only 1/4 or half. That way you can still indulge without overdoing it.

You might also consider Lipton's Green Superfruit teas - hot and cold - delicious - if you like tea. You can buy at any grocery store.
  • anamercedez
    Options
    Its okay,its a little strong but try and and let us know if you like!!!!:drinker:
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I used to get starbucks ALL the time! I switched from a regular caramel macchiatto to a skinny, and it took a couple of time to adjust to it, but now I love it!! and at mcdonalds I have them make my coffee with nonfat milk instead of 2%. it doesnt taste any different!

Do all of the starbucks drinks have a skinny version with less calories??
  • ericaq
    ericaq Posts: 29
    Options

Yes, skinny just means that they use skim milk, no whip and sugar free syrup if its available.
  • nokittyno
    Options
    Fellow Canadian here:

I usually order a Timmy's medium black coffee with 1/4 french vanilla cappuccino for a mere 45 calories. Sweet without being sickly sweet. You have to specifically ask for how you want your coffee done. They'll do this for the toffee caramel too!

My suggestion is, if your favorite coffee shop adds flavors to coffee, ask them to add only 1/4 or half. That way you can still indulge without overdoing it.

You might also consider Lipton's Green Superfruit teas - hot and cold - delicious - if you like tea. You can buy at any grocery store.

Hey that sounds like an idea - It depends if the people can do it at my Timmies. We have.. issues with any sort of consistency. Small rant - I've won once in like endless coffees in Roll Up The Rim at my store. I visited other stores and won one at each! Hmm.. conspiracy.. Lol.

Anyway love the suggestions - and to "JesaGrace" I know! It is so hard to find a drink comparable to our favourites, :( Lol.
  • nokittyno
    Options
    Also don't even get me started on iced drink additions, Oi. I was on a total one a day Timmies Butter Caramel Ice Capp - then they introduced the supreme! .. Luckily I didn't count calories then or i'd suffer a heart attack.

I though then found Starbucks has an Iced Caramel drink with is a sort of skinny version(as stated I never tried their hot drink) and it's made with Sugar Free Syrup and Skim/Non Fat Milk and is at about 230/260 calories for a venti with light light whip and little/no drizzle as opposed to say 400-600 calories for their regular.

But I know for a fact not all drinks come in Skinny or Sugar Free. My mom wanted some sort of concoction once and they said they hadn't the SF version syrup.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I make my own coffee drinks. I'm not a big coffee drinker either, so I use a lighter roast. Here's my recipe:

Green Mountain - Breakfast Blend Decaf, 9.75 oz. 2 cals
    Kroger - Fat Free Half and Half, 2 tbsp 20
    Milk - Nonfat (fat free or skim), 0.25 cup 21
    Davinci Gourmet Sugar Free - Vanilla Syrup (or caramel), 2 Tbsp 0
    Splenda - Individual Packets 4 packet 0

Total: 43 cals

Nuke 1/4 cup skim milk in a measuring cup, just under boiling. (Basically just to heat it up) Then use a mixer to froth it to twice it's size. (I use an Avon SlimWell hand mixer) I add my Davinci (or Torani) syrup to the milk & froth it a bit more. (You don't have to add the syrup then, it can go into the coffee too, but it makes the foam taste yummy!) While you are making the foam, brew your coffee (I use a Kuerig brewer) After your coffee is brewed, add you sweetner, half & half, stir & then pour in the milk & scoop froth onto the top. For a few more cals you can drizzle caramel syrup on top to make it pretty!

Check out www.folgers.com for more yummy recipes, just tweek them to fit your tastes!
    www.hungrygirl.com has several coffee shop "make-overs" as well!
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options

Yea! even if it isnt on their menu, like the frappaccino- just ask for a light one! non fat milk and no whipcream!
  • Fit4Penny
    Fit4Penny Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I would think if you like the bottled starbucks mocha, the skinny caramel macchiatto should be a good replacement if you like caramel. I used to drink a tall non-fat mocha (3 pumps of mocha, 170 calories) with no whip cream and worked myself down to a non-fat latte with 1 pump of regular mocha syrup (125 calories). I drink this almost everyday of the week. I don't care for the sugar free syrups at all they have a funny aftertaste :(
  • nokittyno
    Options
    Thank you everyone for all your suggestions.