Zumba

Options
Can anyone give me an idea on calories burned doing Zumba? I couldn't find it listed in the database here so entered as aerobic dance high level...? I know it depends on weight, height etc. just trying to get an idea.

Replies

• AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I always enter it as high impact aerobics since I do a lot of jumping around with it. My stupid HMR never works right. I know my instructor burns around 600 in an hour.
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,648 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I'm giving you a *bump* :smile:

You are probably getting a fairly accurate number entering it at high intensity dance...
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I just took my heart rate monitor to zumba class for the first time yesterday and for me "dancing, general" was spot on the calories my HRM says I burned. However we stop for a minute or so after every couple of songs so she can switch the cd (annoying!) so it may be more or less depending on your instructor.

I'm 5'7, 187 lbs, in reasonably good shape for my size and I burned 335 in 50 minutes. If that helps any!
  • gsjpom
    gsjpom Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I lead Zumba classes and average about 350 cals. hour working hard, but I think 350 would be a decent average.
  • msproducer
    msproducer Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7, 195 lbs. I normally burn 650-696 calories during Zumba.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7, 195 lbs. I normally burn 650-696 calories during Zumba.

WHOA! I need to be in your class! Is that with a heart rate monitor?
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    I'm a Zumba instructor and I've work my HRM to class several times because of this very same question and to be able to really give my students a REAL LIFE true figure......and rstrycharz is dead on. I usually burn around 600-650 for the hr. But like you said, it all depends on your individual exertion level and how much you put into it too along with your age, weight, height, etc.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I've burned 600 at a moderate level, over 1000 at high intensity. Not only do people vary, but the workouts vary tremendously.
  • buffalogal1979
    buffalogal1979 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have found that it really depends on the instructor too. I have been to classes and burned 500+ cals/hr. and others barely hit 300. (I have a HRM)
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    I lead Zumba classes and average about 350 cals. hour working hard, but I think 350 would be a decent average.

wow guys! Really?? I'm 29 yo about 5'2 and weight around 155.....I burn this much in a lil over the first half hr. hmmmm....I wonder what the diff in your class is? You instruct too? I know that some instructors do more "instructing" rather than dancing...is this you? (not that I'm knocking it, it's just not for me....I like to get down with my girls!) ;-P
  • msproducer
    msproducer Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have the FT4 HRM.
  • ladyshills
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone, I guess I need to get a heart monitor lol!! I can say this, when I'm done I am soaking wet!! I am 5'7" & weigh 150.6.
  • DeltaGirl2D95
    Options
    In just doing videos, with HRM I burn 400-500 in 60 mins. I suggest getting a HRM
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and about 12 lbs off my goal. I have "Wii" Zumba and burn 500-600 per one hour session - with heart rate monitor. It's like running for me on calorie burn! Every workout depends on your own intensity and the class. The Wii Zumba was really cheap conpared to a actual class or the DVD's you can buy, and I've been doing it since Christmas. I haven't got tired of it. It's my "go to" for big calorie burn. And It has been at least a little toning, too. It sure whittled my waist and hips!