how,many days off should i take each week?

Options
By "day off" I mean a day of walking my dog compared to a day of running for 45 minutes. How many days do you take off from exercising each week?

Replies

• AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know that too... considering i am on my feet for 12+ hours at work on my "days off."
  • ybba12490
    ybba12490 Posts: 252
    Options
    Hmmm, generally I will take one day off IF that. Usually if I take a break it makes me feel sluggish and I'll be craving the gym, or else I won't want to go the next day. So I try to go 7 days a week or 6 at the least.
  • tyienna
    tyienna Posts: 39
    Options
    I try to go to the gym 3 days a week. I don't want to over do it and doing this it also gives me time to get other things done in my life too.
  • blakgarnet
    blakgarnet Posts: 343
    Options
    I let myself have at least one day off a week as that is normally scheduled into my workout routine (P90X before, now a turbofire hybrid). some weeks end up having 2 days off simply because I don't have time to work out - if I am work for 12+ hours or something
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I do between 1-2 days, but I do some sort of activity daily. On an off day I might dance while cleaning or do like a slow walk after dinner, but I leave the intense stuff for the other 5-6 days of the week LOL
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I run long distance... I take three days off per week from running. One of those days is cross training. The other two are rest.
  • maurapie
    maurapie Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I don't take any, but that's pretty rare, usually 1 or 2 days. On weeks where I dont take any days off, I'm usually doing a low impact exercise, like swimming or yoga (which I used to HATE! lol)
    The reason I try to do something everyday is because when I do, I feel more motivated and focused
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I schedule 1 day a week. It may be a day where I'm exhausted not necessarily a planned day off every week.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I was doing 6 days a week and felt tired all the time so now I do 5 days a week and I feel much better.
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I take two days completely off, Fridays and Sundays - but sometimes I'll exercise those days too, depending on time. I think it's important to switch up your exercises. You may not need to take a day off but switching up your workouts - like doing strength training instead of cardio once in a while - will work out different muscles and give your legs a rest :)
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I don't have a set day off but I travel a lot on the weekends and usually Sunday ends up being my off day. But if I'm not fully 100% any other day, I'll make that my off day.
  • LyonInLondon
    LyonInLondon Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You should have a minimum of 1 day off per week. The reason behind this is that when you excise you are creating tiny tears in your muscles (a good thing) and so on your rest day, your body has a chance to repair the muscle. As it repairs the muscle, it makes it stronger and, if you are stretching properly, longer and leaner (long + lean = strong). A rest day is an important part of any persons workout regime.

This, as it happens, is also why marathon runners decrease their training before the race ... actually makes them faster and better :) You should find that after your rest day, your runs are easier. Though diet also plays a part in this as your body needs the right fuel to rebuild and refuel muscles
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Short answer: It depends.

Explanation: Are you doing the exact same exercise every day (i.e. running)? If so, you should take 2-3 rest days a week to avoid overworking the same muscles and potentially causing injury. If you switch up your routine -- say with a day of weight lifting, yoga, cycling, swimming -- you don't need any days off, just make sure you're not doing the same thing multiple days in a row. The point is you want to avoid burnout and overuse injuries. I hope this makes sense.
  • mschelle
    mschelle Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I *try* not to take any days off. Then, when there is a day or two during the week when I can't manage to workout, I don't feel so guilty. I just tell myself I'll be back at it tomorrow.
  • kblue2007
    kblue2007 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, generally I will take one day off IF that. Usually if I take a break it makes me feel sluggish and I'll be craving the gym, or else I won't want to go the next day. So I try to go 7 days a week or 6 at the least.

I agree. I take mondays off and by tuesday the gym and yoga kick my *kitten*...probably best to do alittle something everyday!
  • dkinman
    dkinman Posts: 10
    Options
    I take 2 off from my regular workout and do either pilates or yoga on those two days:happy:
  • Pinky_Calhoun
    Pinky_Calhoun Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Depending on your fitness routine anywhere from 2-3 days a week!
  • halejr23
    halejr23 Posts: 294
    Options
    I usually plan on taking 1 day off but half the time I get "antsy" and do a light workout anyway! ;-)
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I generally take Sat and Sun off since that's the only time I get to see my fiance. I set those days aside for him. Otherwise I do something everyday and try to make it worthwhile. But, when the snow clears and the tennis nets are back up, we will be playing tennis on the weekends.
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I usually take 2 days off from cardio but only one day completely off. One of my days off is for strength and ab work.