Strength Training Calories

Options
Why doesn't the strength training account for workout time/calories burned in your daily log?

Replies

• Andy_Anne
    Andy_Anne Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Search for strength under cardio - it's there and you can add it that way and get the time/calories burned info.
  • penny39
    penny39 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    But if you go in under cardio , it doesn't ask for how much weight, only how long. How can the calories be acurate wouldn't it be differnet depending on the amout of weight?
  • renae1380
    Options
    I agree...I don't find that to be accurate. I do alot of strength training and would like to see it factored in (correctly). There's gotta be a better way!
  • Baroque_Ja
    Baroque_Ja Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think from what I've seen of people logging it you can probably safely assume 3-4 calories per minute as long as you are going steady. I don't bother logging it myself as I usually do pull-ups and chin-ups for at the most 20-30 cumulative minutes throughout a day. So that would be maybe 60-80.

I did see somewhere online that you could reckon that 10 pushups would equal 20 calories but I think that is suspect. When you pushup you are using much smaller muscles than your legs even though it is a compound exercise, it just feels really strenuous, whereas you don't normally feel too strained doing leg workouts, but in reality those quadraceps and calves are using a lot of fuel.
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    It would be incredibly complex to work out if you were using the argument of how much weight is being lifted because the effort needed is relative to each persons size and strength i.e. percentage of 1 rep max. I don't think you could realistically get an accurate model. The way most people use the strength training section is to keep a record of the exercise performed and weight lifted, they then add calories burned through the cardio section. I know this is not perfect and there are many threads similar to this questing it. It is difficult to calculate calories burned during strength training though and if you search you will find articles on here explaining why even using an HRM isn't necessarily accurate.