Allergy/sinus issues...

hotpickles
hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
edited September 25 in Health and Weight Loss
'Tis the season I suppose....

I was wondering if any of you had the same problem as I'm having. Right now, I have zero appetite (last time I ate was 10 am), feeling nauseous, and have an incredible headache right around my eyes and forehead. I'm all clogged up too and my ears feel like exploding. Oddly enough, it usually comes on full force right before the weather is supposed to change, and I noticed it starting today as soon as the clouds started rolling in.

I have a workout planned tonight, but I always seem to have issues doing exercises that require me to bend forward on days like today. Furthermore, I haven't really consumed that much food today.

Is there anything you do to make this go away? I just popped a few Tylenol Sinus pills, should clear things up in a few hours. Other than that, I don't know how to make it go away.

Replies

• emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Working out might actually make you feel better -- if I am stuffy or snotty usually I feel better after working out. I would say try it... and see ... although it is Yoga day for you right? Maybe ... ummm ... do some cardio instead?
  • BunnybeeJG
    BunnybeeJG Posts: 344 Member
    maybe you're pregnant? idk if youre even a chick or not lol but assuming you are... maybe.

but i've had the issue with my sinuses lately.. i don't usually have allergies to anything but i swear the last week i've had to take sudafed to fall asleep and even that's not workin gnow ugghg
  • hotpickles
    No today is Chest and Back for me, so it should be alright. Hopefully these pills will clear things up before I tackle the workout tonight!
  • get yourself a neti pot to clear out those sinuses, will help a lot!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    I've had the cold and sinus problems for the past week and a half. No thanks to my oldest son bringing home all the germs. I've had my moments where I was just so miserable to workout but my eating wasn't all the great. I guess I also had one of those moments where I was just hungry and wanted everything. I've been doing this for almost 90 days, so I guess I was maybe "treating" myself. Finally today, I took a Claritin and made myself workout. I feel great inside but my sinuses..ugh...
  • lpm3925
    lpm3925 Posts: 39
    Get this http://www.neilmed.com/usa/sinusrinse.php (They sale them at Walmart and most drug stores)

I prefer the bottle becasue it has more pressure than the pot you just pour in.

Rinse every two hours.

My wife suffers from severe sinus congestion and allergies. She used to take shots. She got a new Dr, who took her off of everything. She told her to rinse every two hours if she had congestion, was sick, etc. Otherwise she rinses twice daily. That plus a standard Claritin once every morning has pretty much cured her sinus issues. I rinse too when congested, you feel better almost immediately, and within a day you are way better.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Yep, allergies/sinuses have ruled my life the last few years. I take Claritin or Zyrtec every day along with a Nasonex nasal spray. When things get especially bad, I do a neti pot twice a day. If that doesn't help things, it normally turns out that I have a sinus infection and need to go on a steroid and antibiotic treatment.

Last year I was training for a triathalon and everything was going great when my allergies really kicked my butt and made it nearly impossible todo anything. This year, I've been much mroe diligent and things have been going better.
  • The exercise will totally help move things around and clear out the sinuses. I have to same problem all the time and now take two types of RX allergy pills daily and it helps tremendously. On bad days, I still take sudefed for quick and significant relief of symptoms but the sinus drip can really make you nauseous! Try to eat a light carb an hour or so before working out to help absorb things and see how you feel after some cardio! Also, drink tons of water- that seems to help everything! Feel better!!
  • hotpickles
    Wow thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I'm going to try the Neti pot tonight :)

Those Tylenol Sinus pills did the trick for now, still have a drippy nose but alas, I can handle that....

:)
  • fantomette
    fantomette Posts: 148 Member
    Wow thanks for all the suggestions everyone! I'm going to try the Neti pot tonight :)

Those Tylenol Sinus pills did the trick for now, still have a drippy nose but alas, I can handle that....

:)

the thing with the Advil or Tylenol sinus pills is that they sometimes have a "rebound" effect: they'll work great for a few days and then, your sinus will be blocked a few days after (my ETN Dr told me to stop using them because I have chronic sinusitis).
    I don't use the Neti Pot but I heard it works great. I have the Sinus Rinse (stronger) and if the allergies are "deadly" I can add pulmicort in it.
    If you are not taking Nasonex or something like that, maybe you should? If you have allergies every year you can have desensibilization shots. It really helped me. Now I can control my allergies with plain-over-the-counter medecine (I used to be sooooo sick, I even had a sinus operation).
    As for Allergy medecine you have to try and try until you find the right one. Now I have to take Benadryl or Atarax. Claritin and Zyrtec no longer work for me.
This discussion has been closed.