HCG diet

Options
So the sister of my coworker walked in the office today and she has dropped 40 lbs since I saw her last. I asked her what she did and she said the HCG diet drops. I guess you drop 1-2 lbs a day and can only eat a limited amount of calories. Obviously it is healthier to diet and excercise and drop a pound or 2 a week then a pound or 2 a day! But, I was just wondering if anyone had tried this and if so, would you recommend it for just a month?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    My husbands boss went on this diet last year. She bought those drops (expensive!) and ate 500 calories a day. 500! I think it sounds a bit crazy, personally. She dropped 70 pounds over about 5-6 months. Then she went off the plan and almost immediately put 10 pounds back on. She's back on it again.

My personal opinion, and I'm sure I'll be echoed here, is that these types of diets are great if you want to drop a bunch of weight really quickly and don't care that you're going to put it all back on, and then some. The only thing that really works for the long haul is to eat right and exercise.
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    A buddy of mine is doing this. He said his coworkers all lost a ton of weight, but gained most of it back within a year. So why he bought it, I have no idea. He said it was because he just has his last 5 pounds to lose, but I dunno. He's got P90X but hasn't ever done it, so that was my recommendation. Leave the drugs and just sweat!
  • rocketmom67
    Options
    My mom works for a chiropractor and several people in the office have done the HCG diet. The drops, plus 500 calories of lean mean and veggies for 3 weeks. Your then suppose to go on a increased calorie plan but not a free for all. Mom lost 22 lbs and as a type 2 diabetic her insulin requirements dropped tremendiously and she had incredible energy during that time but seems to have gained weight and back to regular, higher carb eating. the 500 calories scares me. I am afraid I would feel like I am starving and then gain it all back. I tend to yo-yo anyways unless I am focused on healthy eating.
  • sharonmills54
    Options
    I agree with Sue; quick fix never works
  • KristyP0530
    Options
    I actually did the hcg diet for 3 weeks, lost 15 pounds and have maintained it. 3 weeks was long enough for me to get back into the habit of not eating processed foods, sodas, fast food, etc. I struggle with staying motivated on diets, so this was perfect for me. Seeing results each day is a great motivator to keep going! And, after stopping the drops, I don't crave those foods like I did before. I still occasionally have a cheeseburger, but I choose the kids size, instead of the super size!!!
    It's probably not the healthiest diet in the world, but it works and if you're like me and need instant results to stay motivated...it's great.
  • monicaP413
    monicaP413 Posts: 165
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply!! I thought it might be like that and I am glad I asked you all first before I got too excited and ordered it!! I hit a plateau for about 3 weeks, lost a few lbs., gained them back and am stuck again! I am exercising, drinking more water, whatching my calories and I guess I just am a bit frustrated.
    Thanks again!!!
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    HCG has been proven to do absolutely nothing for weightloss. you lose weight because of the 500 cal diet, and will gain it back when you finish.

HCG is the biggest Hoax in weightloss and it has been proven scientifically for 30 years. period

save your money

a new report i read a few days ago indicated that not only is HCG useless for weightloss, it increases your risk of transmitting Mad Cow Disease.

HCG is taken from the urine of pregnant women, and not nearly as regulated as blood etc, and there is an increased risk of Mad Cow because it can be carried by the part of the urine they use for HCG.......seriously people stop thinking this will help, it is a waste of money. I hate how people get taken advantage of by these people trying to make a quick buck off the poor souls desperate to lose weight. It drives me nuts, please don't fall into the trap.
  • misslizz6958
    misslizz6958 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    it works pretty good you just need to not overeat after
  • Sway
    Sway Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Like diaryoffatdad said... it's the 500 calories that will do it... DO NOT waste your money. Anyone going from X amount calories to 500 is obviously going to lose weight.... faster too if you have 50 + lbs to lose.