FRUIT DIP! DO OR NOT TO DO?

ashton0703
ashton0703 Posts: 12
edited September 25 in Food and Nutrition
I like fruit....but i like it even better with a dip. Any thought on fruit dip? good? bad? ugly?
thanks in advance for all the advice!

Replies

• hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    I like fruit dip and I think you can have a fairly healthy version but I only use dips if I have them measured out. It is way to easy to understimate how much you've really eaten.
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Bad! Why waste a good piece of fruit with icky dip? Unless its vanilla yogurt (yum).
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    I would have to say no, you are defeating the purpose of eating fruit which is to cut out excess calories. dip = excess calories
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    You can make it with low or nonfat cream cheese, low or non fat yogurt, some vanilla and some sugar, honey, or splenda (whatever sweetener you like) and get a few TBs for under 50 cals.
  • McBody
    McBody Posts: 1,703 Member
    NO! Fruit has enough sugar on it's own that you definitely don't need to add to it!
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Its a personal preference thing. Im not big on different foods touching (given I eat dressing on my salad and still eat casserole but if its not MADE together I tend not to mix things lol) but my family makes this marshmellow fruit dip stuff every holiday season and I hate it lol I like my fruits bare
  • mmmichelle8486
    mmmichelle8486 Posts: 269 Member
    try mixing a fat free or light cool whip with a light yogurt... i love orange flavored yogurt with this. I use 1 6 oz container of yogurt to the average size tub of cool whip. very yummy :)
  • tonedover
    tonedover Posts: 30 Member
    Too much sugar in large amounts of fruit to begin with, let alone adding dip -- UNLESS you are a really active person all day long to burn that excess sugar.
  • anwendy
    anwendy Posts: 17
    I make a fruit dip that is healthy in SMALL amounts. Take a single serving of fat free boston cream pie yogurt, and mix in about a tablespoon (or however much you want) of peanut butter. It makes a big amount (200 calories total), so if you just eat a little at a time, it's not too bad! I like to dip grapes, bananas, and strawberries the best.
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    the fruit dip i usually make is a flavoured yogurt mixed with cool whip. The cool whip I use is the teal one I think its fat free or something. Anyways I just mix the two and its delicious and healthy. Nothing wrong with using a fruit dip if its healthy!!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    No dip! Yogurt was a good idea, Greek yogurt even better! Greek Yogurt has more protein and protein keeps you fuller longer!
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    I would have to say no, you are defeating the purpose of eating fruit which is to cut out excess calories. dip = excess calories

My purpose for eating fruit is because it tastes good.

And goes well with peanut butter, or alpro soya desserts.
  • hotpickles
    hotpickles Posts: 639 Member
    If you are in the mood for a dip, I'd definitely do the yogurt thing. Like previously mentioned, I'd go for the plain, unsweetened variety. Good source of protein!
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    i always get muller light toffee fat free yoghurt for a treat, and i dip strawberrys in it, its amazing, and fab as a craving buster around TOM! but as a general rule, i eat fruit as it is, dipping it is a treat
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    If you are staying within your calorie and sugar goals, my opinion is that it's just fine to dip. :-)
  • b
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    The eating for life book had a recipe for fruit dip. I believe it was 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese(blended), 1/2 cup fat free yogurt, shredded Orange rind, and some sweetener to taste.
  • AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    I agree...as long as your within your calories....I am addicted to apples & peanut butter (red fat of course)!!!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    :laugh: Wow - I need to get out of the house more often! What is FRUIT DIP? :embarassed:

I am familiar w/ the idea of eating an apple w/ peanut butter, but I was curious what kind of dips the OP was thinking of.

I respect the fruit minimalists, but one of the reasons I am a fruit nudist is that I am lazy - I had no idea people made dips for fruit! Some of these sound great! And YES, fruit in season is the best thing on earth, [ :smooched: :smooched: :smooched: ] but sometimes it's nice to switch things up.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    You can dip fruit in flavored yogurt. Tastes good and only adds 100 cals. Not empty cals, either. Calcium and protein.
This discussion has been closed.