How much cardio vs. weight/strength training??

Mandie800
Mandie800 Posts: 10 Member
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
For someone just getting started and needing to lose about 70 lbs and tone along they way - what would you guys recommend for ratio of cardio vs. weights? I would love any advice or a sample workout schedule for a week that would be optimal. Here is what I am currently doing and enjoy at the gym:
Zumba
Muscle Pump (weight and strengthening class works all muscle groups)
Racquetball
Swimming laps (usually half a mile)
Walking

Thank you!

Replies

• Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member
    I do the following schedule:

Monday: Spin + weight training (abs, legs and back)
    Tuesday: Pilates and Run
    Wed: Spin + abs
    Thursday: Super Set Weigh training (all over minus abs) The super setting gets my heart rate up so I count it as a cardio day along with weight training
    Friday: Pilates and Run
    Saturday: Spin

Sunday--day off but go on walks and bike rides with my family. Still staying active.

But for someone just starting out, more cardio than strength will be beneficial. Get your heart going and burn the most calories to burn all the fat. Then once you're on a solid cardio plan, introduce the strentgh training.

Hope this helps. My trainer uses the same routine.
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    I've been on a weight loss regimen for a little more than 6 months. I was quite overweight (officially "obese" according to BMI) at the start, and now within 5 lbs of my goal of "normal" BMI.

When I started, I did only cardio - in the form of Racquetball, which worked very well. Lost 12-15 lbs/month at the beginning. This took too much toll on my arm, as I was playing every day. Started adding elliptical machine every other day. Could only do 5 mins at first, worked up to 1 hour after about 6 weeks.

At about month 3, I found this site, and started counting calories, 1200 consumed daily.

At about month 4, I added just a little weight training, one or two days/week.

Now, as I approach my goal, I have found it much harder to lose weight, and I frequently find myself at a plateau. I have started increasing my caloric intake to a NET of 1200 cals/day (before I was not "eating back" exercise burn) and increasing water intake to see how that does. I have also increased weight training to 2x per week, and added some calisthenics every day (push ups, sit ups _attempted_ pull ups).

Your schedule sounds quite good though. I wish I had your discipline.

@Nomomush, Would you mind sharing some details about your "super sets" work out routine?
  • Mandie800
    Mandie800 Posts: 10 Member
    I've been on a weight loss regimen for a little more than 6 months. I was quite overweight (officially "obese" according to BMI) at the start, and now within 5 lbs of my goal of "normal" BMI.

When I started, I did only cardio - in the form of Racquetball, which worked very well. Lost 12-15 lbs/month at the beginning. This took too much toll on my arm, as I was playing every day. Started adding elliptical machine every other day. Could only do 5 mins at first, worked up to 1 hour after about 6 weeks.

At about month 3, I found this site, and started counting calories, 1200 consumed daily.

Now, as I approach my goal, I have found it much harder to lose weight, and I frequently find myself at a plateau. I have started increasing my caloric intake to a NET of 1200 cals/day (before I was not "eating back" exercise burn) and increasing water intake to see how that does. I have also increased weight training to 2x per week, and added some calisthenics every day (push ups, sit ups _attempted_ pull ups).

@Nomomush, Would you mind sharing some details about your "super sets" work out routine?

You have lost 60 lbs!! You have plenty of discipline! Thanks for the input - I hope to be where you are in 6 months!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    I started out doing mainly cardio with a little strength training. I found I couldn't handle that sort of schedule and dropped the weight training. I wish I knew then about Metabolic Resistance Training. I would have done that primarily with a little cardio thrown in. That is what I do now. Look here for more info http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rileysowner/view/metabolic-resistance-training-86959 and a good book to find out even more is "Cardio Strength Training" by Robert dos Remidios (I may have spelled his name incorrectly). If you google "Metabolic Resistance Training" you can probably find more. Other than myself I know Newfiedan uses this approach to exercise as it provides both aerobic and anaerobic benefits.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    At the moment I am doing 2 cardio and 2 strength (with some cardio - circuits) a week. That's enough strength for me, but I'd be happier if I had time for another cardio a week.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    For the person who asked about Supersets:

Let's say you do shoulder presses. A superset of shoulder presses would incorporate three different shoulder exercises for the shoulders at 12 reps 3 sets each without any rest in between. IE: Military Presses 12 reps 3 sets. Regular Presses 12 reps 3 sets. Palms facing in presses 12 reps 3 sets.

@ Mandi: You're doing great. The only thing I would do differently, is add slightly heavier weights when you do strength-training. For example, if you curl with 5 lbs, up it to 8 lbs. If you squat 20 lbs, up it to 30 lbs. The weights will give you the definition without adding bulk. And when you increase your weights, slightly increase your protein intake to help the muscles recover quicker. That way you won't be as sore and you'll be able to work out more often.
  • Nomomush
    Nomomush Posts: 582 Member

Hi maury

Hi maury-

For my super sets, my trainer picks 3 different muscle groups for each set and do the exercises 10-15 reps on each muscle group for 1 set then back to the 1st muscle group with no rest with between muscle groups, rest only 30-60 seconds between sets, etc: Example Monday

1st/2nd/3rd set/ rest ONLY between sets
    bicep curls 10-15 reps
    squats 10-15 reps
    Rest 30-60 seconds between sets

Tricep pull downs 10-15 reps
    Lunges 10-15 reps

Abs 10-15 reps
    Chest Flys

etc etc etc

The key to super sets is targeting 2 muscle groups (not the same muscle group as previously posted) for each set.

I train with a trainer who has won multiple fitness competitions and I mimic her routine.

Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.