Can you have an eating disorder and be over weight?

Options
I was just wondering as im a member of another site and they keep telling me they think I have a problem and I can't see how if I'm over weight?

Replies

• audreyyrose
    Options
    yes.
    eating disorders are first and foremost a mental disorder.
  • doodles80
    doodles80 Posts: 59
    Options
    Yes you can...over eating is a problem too. Do you over eat? Or are you an emotional eater?
  • misslizz6958
    misslizz6958 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yes! An eating disorder in dianosed by habits not weight. seek counseling
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    yes you can - I have a friend who is about 200 lbs and throws up most of what she eats - if she eats - her metabolism has shut down so anything she does eat the body grabs and holds onto - hence - she`s obese and barely eating
  • blackdragonclare
    Options
    Yes you can...over eating is a problem too. Do you over eat? Or are you an emotional eater?

no I eat about 800kcal on average and they sag that me getting worried about eating chocolate is crazy.
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    can you please explain more about the nature of this eating disorder that these other people seem to be noticing? it might help all of us to help you better.
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    you are supossed to eat at least 1200 calories a day.
  • blackdragonclare
    Options
    can you please explain more about the nature of this eating disorder that these other people seem to be noticing? it might help all of us to help you better.

they say that because i beat myself up for eating bad foods and don't eat much. also because I mentioned that I see the kcal goal as a line to keep under. I don't really get what they are on about.
  • sarahbelle87
    sarahbelle87 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You can have an eating disorder no matter what size you are. Like someone else said, it's a mental disorder, not a physical one. And 800 calories a day is not enough for your body to run properly. You could be putting yourself into starvation mode. You should be eating at LEAST 1200, preferably more, if you want to lose weight and be healthy.
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    a person of any shape or size can suffer an eating disorder :(
  • NurseChristy3
    NurseChristy3 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Unless you are preparing for WeightLoss Surgery...there is NO reason at all for you to be eating only 800cal. Not even a DR would go for this
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

no I eat about 800kcal on average and they sag that me getting worried about eating chocolate is crazy.

While I'm not a professional and don't know you, that sounds awfully low. It's typically recommended that you shouldn't be eating less than 1200 unless you're under doctor's supervision (and most people can/should eat more than that, especially if they get any exercise). If the thought of eating a small bit of chocolate drives you crazy with worry, then that would concern me.

In general, it's my opinion that anyone who experiences frequent anxiety over food would benefit from counseling, and possibly working with a nutrition expert (dietician/nutritionist - whatever the licensed, trained expert is in your area). This is especially true if it interferes with normal life (ex - can't handle potlucks because of all the food, freaks out at the thought of going out with friends because of the temptations, etc.) .
  • blackdragonclare
    Options
    I don't really excercise except for walking with my children so I put more enthasis on what I eat
  • mariasheehan
    Options
    I think you can be overweight and have an eating disorder, I used to think the same thing about myself, but actually having a baby helped me get a better relationship with food, MFP helps enormously too. Why do people think you have a disorder? do you tend to obsess about food? or feel guilty if you eat too much? binge? are you worried about it?

Would love to chat if you feel you need support :smile:
  • sarahbelle87
    sarahbelle87 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

While I'm not a professional and don't know you, that sounds awfully low. It's typically recommended that you shouldn't be eating less than 1200 unless you're under doctor's supervision (and most people can/should eat more than that, especially if they get any exercise). If the thought of eating a small bit of chocolate drives you crazy with worry, then that would concern me.

In general, it's my opinion that anyone who experiences frequent anxiety over food would benefit from counseling, and possibly working with a nutrition expert (dietician/nutritionist - whatever the licensed, trained expert is in your area). This is especially true if it interferes with normal life (ex - can't handle potlucks because of all the food, freaks out at the thought of going out with friends because of the temptations, etc.) .

Agreed. If it's to the point where you're thinking about food or your body ALL the time, and try to avoid any social outings where you would have to eat in front of people, it would be a good idea to talk to someone about it. Eating disorders ruin lives. You don't want to be there.
  • T0RIEELIZABETH
    Options
    I would say that you should get some help. I'm not a professional, but they are always saying that 1200 calories should be y our MINIMUM net calories, so if you only eat 800 calories, and then exercize, your net is more like 600, half of what you should be eating. youshouldnt beat yourself up of you go over what you should be eating for the day.
  • mikerouse
    mikerouse Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Even when I was very overweight I would still go through periods of shoving my fingers down my throat. Even when I stopped doing that I would yo-yo terribly, starving myself for a week and then eating like crazy afterwards. It was all in my head.
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    Yes. *raises hand*
  • blackdragonclare
    Options

I have been to the drs several times and he just gives me xenical (which I don't fake as it makes me have my period every other week) and tells me to eat less. I told him what I ate and he said I was obviously not being honest about what I eat
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Actually most people with eating disorders ARE overweight. Anorexia is not the only eating disorder. Bulimia (binge/purge) usually causes weight gain, as does binge eating disorder, and many obese people have some form of eating disorder. Disordered eating is about the mental processes and relationships with food and body image. Lack of eating, bingeing, purging and other things are just SYMPTOMS of disordered eating.

If you suspect you may have or are beginning to develop an eating disorder, please look for resources that can help.

1-800-931-2237
    http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/get-help-today/