Greek Yogurt

Options
cdngrl81
cdngrl81 Posts: 434 Member
I have been thinking about trying this, but really dislike ordinary yogurt. I like the comments I have heard about it being creamier that normal yogurt, but the reason I don't like yogurt is due to the "sour" taste. Does greek yogurt have the same thing or is it a totally different taste?

Replies

• RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It does have a tart/sourish taste, but I sweeten it up with Splenda. Some people used fruit preserves or honey to take away that taste.
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Yes greek yourt has the sour taste, more so than some ordinary yogurt. But I love it on its own, its a great low cal snack! Just 55cals in 100g of the fat free one I buy from Tesco in the UK.
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    Greek yogurt is a different taste entirely. Unflavored, I think it actually tastes more like sour cream, so we usually blend it with honey and fruit. I highly recomment it, though. MUCH more protein!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Greek is very sour! But, you just sweeten with your sweetener of choice; honey, splenda, stevia, sugar free maple syrup, fresh fruit, etc.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I like it. I has a different taste, but the only type I have tried has a sour aftertaste - but hey, I can eat sourcream by the spoonful if I don't watch it.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    It depends on what brand and flavor you pick. I recommend trying several before you decide. I personally like the Yoplait 2x protein one. There are several flavors and I eat it mixed with granola. Great pre-workout or post-workout snack, or just a great snack in general! I've even had it for supper when I didn't feel like cooking!!!
  • FaeFae
    FaeFae Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    it is much more bitter than regular yogurt!! I cannot eat it on its own! I used it as a fruit dip, mixed it with regular flavoured yogurt and some cool whip. Some people put peanut butter in it etc. Its too bitter for me to eat on its own.
  • josavage
    josavage Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Yes it does still have that taste. I really love the Chobani pineapple and think it's pretty mild. The mango is good too.

I just finished a Yoplait Greek honey vanilla and it was pretty sour.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    That's weird, because I think it is less tart, and much smoother, but it may depend on the brand and what "flavor." The only one I really like is Fage. I tried the 0% first and didn't care for it, but got hooked once I tried the 2%. And I only do the plain - I'd rather add fresh fruit on my own than buy the pre-flavored stuff.
  • nicole00lynn
    Options
    have you tried lots of different yogurt? i HATE the sour taste in any vanilla-ish yogurt, so i eat the flavored yoplait light ones. they can be high in sugar so i usually mix half a container with cereal of some sort. strawberry shortcake is my favorite, and its so sweet its like dessert :)
  • ashleighasbury
    Options
    It depends on what brand and flavor you pick. I recommend trying several before you decide. I personally like the Yoplait 2x protein one. There are several flavors and I eat it mixed with granola. Great pre-workout or post-workout snack, or just a great snack in general! I've even had it for supper when I didn't feel like cooking!!!

I really like this kind too! its super yummy!
  • cdngrl81
    cdngrl81 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    have you tried lots of different yogurt? i HATE the sour taste in any vanilla-ish yogurt, so i eat the flavored yoplait light ones. they can be high in sugar so i usually mix half a container with cereal of some sort. strawberry shortcake is my favorite, and its so sweet its like dessert :)

I live in Canada and we don't have the Yoplait light ones, but I do buy them for my mom when I cross border shop. She loves them - I have never tried them. Maybe I will pick up a couple next time i am in the US.
  • corajackson8
    corajackson8 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt, but then again I love all yogurt. You're right about the texture, its great. Creamy> My favorite is Chobani pineapple flavored. I don't find that flavor to have a sour taste. Good luck and congrats on the 6 lbs...
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I can't work out why people think greek yoghurt is preferable when it has about 10 x higher fat than normal yoghurt.
  • lindainak
    lindainak Posts: 101
    Options
    I am not a fan of plain yoghurt but this smoothie is like having ice cream every day but much healthier. I make it without the honey. I always use yoghurt but the other ingredients change daily. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/All-Around-Good-Smoothie/Detail.aspx
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I can't work out why people think greek yoghurt is preferable when it has about 10 x higher fat than normal yoghurt.

That's why you get the 2%. Also has a lot more protein.
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    It depends on the brand-Chobani has flavored yogurt with fruit which is delicious and Fage has a yogurt that comes with a "side car" of honey you can stir into it! SO good!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options

That's why you get the 2%. Also has a lot more protein.

Such a thing does not exist in the UK. You get low fat yoghurt OR greek yoghurt. There's no low fat option for the latter. I have looked in 3 different supermarkets.
  • jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    Options
    I'm in the process of trying different brands of Greek yogurt now. I just started it. It does have a sour taste, a little bitter, but I think the different brands are all a little different. I have Chobani in the fridge to try tonight. I didn't really care for Fage and the Dannon greek is really good, especially the blueberry, I would say it is my favorite.

Just start out with one and see what you think.
  • munchkinettes
    munchkinettes Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Definitely try Chobani. I have it for lunch every day and love it. It completely fills me up. Make sure you stir it well, though. All of the good flavor is on the bottom, and if you just stir it a little, it just looks clumpy. Once you stir it enough, it's creamy and delicious.