Greek Yogurt

Options
2»

Replies

• E2011
    E2011 Posts: 20
    Options
    You should like Chobani...I love all of their flavors but my favorites are the blueberry, mango, honey, and vanilla. The flavors are pretty intense and they use real fruit so it's pretty hearty. People making the switch from what I call "fake yogurts" like Yoplait, Dannon, Yo Crunch etc. can never really get over the price. You really have to be in it for the health benefits because it runs about 4 for $5.00 on sale or $1.29 ea. Quite the jump from 10 for $5.00 or .55 cent each. But yeah, I'm all about organic sustainable foods and agriculture so I appreciate the 'real' taste. It's not soupy or drowned with artificial sweeteners. The non-fats are all under 150 calories with 20-22 carbs, about 14-16 grams of protein, 20 grams of sugar from natural flavors, and low sodium. Even the low fats are great options, as none exceed 160 calories! I'm pretty sure I sound like one of their marketing directors by now so I'll stop. But yeah, give them a try.
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    I can't work out why people think greek yoghurt is preferable when it has about 10 x higher fat than normal yoghurt.

That's why you get the 2%. Also has a lot more protein.

Such a thing does not exist in the UK. You get low fat yoghurt OR greek yoghurt. There's no low fat option for the latter. I have looked in 3 different supermarkets.

My first experience with Greek yogurt was with Chobani nonfat honey. I'm in the US though.
  • trinityj1
    trinityj1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big fan of regular yoghurt, but I adore Greek yoghurt, I go through three tubs a week. To me it tastes *a lot* better. I still don't eat plain, though, I eat vanilla or a fruit flavour. Although plain is all right if you eat it as topping on fruit salad. It takes away that sour taste.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Seriously I have looked everywhere, no such thing as low fat greek yoghurt here. The closest thing is Activia intensely creamy 3% fat.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    So all those that eat greek yoghurt can you answer me this please. I asked in a thread and no one answered. Is "greek style yoghurt" the same thing as greek yoghurt.
  • denacutrone
    Options
    i tried chobani peach yogurt and thought it tasted like sour cream with fruit in it! not a big fan! too much sugar in it for me anyways
  • sunshineinthesummer
    Options
    Try a few different types...if you don't like them, you can always use in cooking, or drain over cheese cloth, puree with fruit and splenda and freeze into popsicle molds

But having it fresh, I like to add a few dashes of vanilla flavoring, or even better scrape a vanilla pod into it. Another variation is honey or maple syrup and add berries...such a decadent snack!
  • Michelle_isthebestest
    Options
    i really enjoy Fage 0%. it does take some getting used to, but after awhile you get used to it. I would really read the labels on other brands, some are packed with sugar! so be on the look out.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    So all those that eat greek yoghurt can you answer me this please. I asked in a thread and no one answered. Is "greek style yoghurt" the same thing as greek yoghurt.

I don't know about in the US, but in the UK, no. Greek yoghurt is yoghurt mixed with cream, or made with cream. Greek Style yoghurt is thickened with thickening agents.
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I tried 3 different flavors of Chobani and could barely gag them down and I love regular yogurt. I can eat 2 of the light yogurts I get to get the same amount of protein and only 20 calories more.
  • jensmith48
    jensmith48 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    The Dannon vanilla is absolutely amazing. It reminds me of ice cream. I eat one every day. And I don't usually go for boring vanilla yogurt- bought this one on accident!
  • Sonnut
    Sonnut Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I can't work out why people think greek yoghurt is preferable when it has about 10 x higher fat than normal yoghurt.

Not sure which brands you're talking about, but my children like Yoplait light yogurt and I'm looking at the label now. It says, 100 calories, Total Fat 0, sugars 14g, protein 5g.

I eat Oikos Organic Greek Yogurt. The blueberry flavor has 90 calories, Total Fat 0, Sugars 11, protein 10g.

The Greek yogurt has the same tart flavor as regular yogurt, maybe even a little more. Yoplait has high fructose corn syrup, where the Greek yogurt I buy has organic sugar. That's why I think it's more tart? Either way, you're looking for additional protein, zero fat and less sugar, then Greek yogurt is the way to go.
  • sherrymo6
    sherrymo6 Posts: 79
    Options
    I like the chibani yogurt with the fruit on the bottom. Pineapple is my absolute favorite. Bluberry is also good. The fruit seems to take the tartness out of it. However, the plain, honey or any of the ones without the fruit are just too tart for my taste. I eat about 4 yogurts/week.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I don't like greek yogurt ...yuck...I tried

I buy the fiber one yogurt, yummy, fiber, less sugar YAY!
  • cdngrl81
    cdngrl81 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I will look at our supermarket tonight and see what flavors they have and see how they are.

Thanks for everybodies input. :)
  • shirleyj6
    Options
    buy just one container as it's twice as expensive as regular yogurt and add fresh strawberries...or if you like fresh blueberries add those and greek yogurt is not so sour tasting as regular yogurt is....when i eat it with fresh strawberries i tell myself that i am really indulging myself. LOL
  • suzieqdiva
    suzieqdiva Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i really enjoy Fage 0%. it does take some getting used to, but after awhile you get used to it. I would really read the labels on other brands, some are packed with sugar! so be on the look out.

I soo agree.. I had Fage 0% on my open faced sandwich today.. and to me it tastes like someone has placed a version of cream cheese on my meals.. it is yummy & very satisfying:-)