Any suggestions for Strength workouts tailored to a woman?

Options
First, let me start off by saying that I love lifting and love free weights. For the past 5 years or so, I have been getting my weight lifting routines from Men's Health or bodybuilding.com . I find that most of those routines focus on the upper body. They don't ignore the lower body- just more focus towards the upper body. My upper body tones up almost immediately and I find it hard for my lower half to catch up. I know this is in part because I am a woman and this is where we tend to carry most of our weight but also feel that perhaps these workouts are not tailored to my specific needs / areas. Should I expect otherwise when I am getting a routine from "Men's" Health? ;) I essentially know how to work out and what I need to do for those areas but any suggestions would be appreciated as far as routines, websites, etc just to make it easier on me.

Replies

• baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Not too be too obvious, but have you looked at "Women's Health"?
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    i love chalean extreme by chalene johnson... let me know if you have any questions at all! it's a GREAT 90 day program...
  • eandskp
    eandskp Posts: 54
    Options
    Yep, guess I should have mentioned that. In fact, I was signed up with Women's Health personal trainer for about a year and absolutely nothing was different about it than Men's Health Personal trainer. They were just trying to reel the women in and it worked. ;)
  • emuhlee44
    Options
    Hi there!

I usually follow Jillian Michael's workout style, which typically consists of circuit training with little rest. That way, we do strength training and cario at the same time.
  • Angel1029
    Angel1029 Posts: 459
    Options
    Have you tried Oxygen and Muscle & Fitness Hers?
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    CHalean Extreme is great but pricey. Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred or No More Trouble Zones are good too and only about $10.
  • Raynamama
    Raynamama Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet Workout book and Journal - it's lifting routines tailored for women & it's really good :)

Hope that helps!
  • brysanch102
    brysanch102 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    P90X, it's worked for me and my fiance, we've both lost over 20 pounds! it's awesome if you stick with it, especially using MFP.
  • eandskp
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! I will definitely look into each and every one of these. Really want something to kick my butt!
  • JPayne53
    JPayne53 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    One legged squats target the outer quad. and also abs are used for balance and stability... front loaded sumo squats are awesome.. they target the inner thigh and hips flexors and force stability through the quads. I prefer lying hamstring curls to a seated curl.. just because you get more of a burn and I find I tend to tone faster with a more intense burn.. Skater squats.. WOW need I say more!! My list goes on and on... I LOVE LEGS if you want anymore pointers.. add me and get you some tips!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    It does seem that most fitness magazines concentrate on arms chest and abbs, now that I think about it.

I believe that men and women could, and should, do basically the same weightlifting excersises. Even though male/female skeletal structures differ, our muscle structure and motions are the same.

I think it would be safe to select any basic routine, and tailor it to your needs.

Oh, and by the way I think women's health is a way better magazine than men's health. They print some great recipe and diet articles.
  • eandskp
    Options
    Oh, and by the way I think women's health is a way better magazine than men's health. They print some great recipe and diet articles.

I agree. There is a lot less "fluff" in Women's Health mag.
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I LOVE all of Cathe Friedrich's workouts- she is tough and you really feel it at the end. You can buy them all over the place, or rent from Netflix. Her Travel Fit is a total body strength workout with just a band, and Muscle Max is about 50 minutes and hits all the muscles.
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I also believe it is true that women should basically lift like men, my favourite book is 'new rules of lifting for women' by Lou Schuler. A website I have also seen some interesting info on is http://figureathlete.t-nation.com/index.jsp It is aimed at figure athletes so some of it is a bit extreme for me but there are plenty of articles on workouts for the lower body and how to get bigger or smaller in those areas
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    It does seem that most fitness magazines concentrate on arms chest and abbs, now that I think about it.

I believe that men and women could, and should, do basically the same weightlifting excersises. Even though male/female skeletal structures differ, our muscle structure and motions are the same.

I think it would be safe to select any basic routine, and tailor it to your needs.

I agree with this! As far as lifting women and men are basically the same the heavier you lift the better. A GREAT book to check out is "New Rules of Lifting for Women" it has great total body routines all spelled out for you and has tons of great info as well!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I also believe it is true that women should basically lift like men, my favourite book is 'new rules of lifting for women' by Lou Schuler. A website I have also seen some interesting info on is http://figureathlete.t-nation.com/index.jsp It is aimed at figure athletes so some of it is a bit extreme for me but there are plenty of articles on workouts for the lower body and how to get bigger or smaller in those areas

Great minds think alike..I saw your post just after I posted mine :)
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options

Great minds think alike..I saw your post just after I posted mine :)

Cool :happy: I really love the way that book is written, you won't catch me lifting any Barbie bells :laugh:
  • eandskp
    Options
    "New rules of lifting for women' by Lou SchulerI"- I'll definitely check this out. I cannot tell you how many workouts I have done that have centered in on the upper body and then just threw a bone to the lower body. I totally agree that women should work out with the same intensity as men and lift as heavy as they can.
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    i love chalean extreme by chalene johnson... let me know if you have any questions at all! it's a GREAT 90 day program...
    My suggestion too!
  • jjjohns
    jjjohns Posts: 27
    Options
    I don't know what level you are at, but I just started Jillian Michaels "No More Trouble Zones" and its mostly weights and abs. She also has some kettle ball DVDs and some other weight workouts. I haven't tried any of those yet but may when I'm done with this one.