Celery?!

Options
I have always - ALWAYS - heard that celery was a zero calorie food. I looked it up on here before indulging. 14 cals/cup? Really?

Replies

• Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Its rather low calorie food

Its seen as a no calorie food by some cause it takes more energy in your body to digest the food than the amount of energy in it.

Its great to add into soups and salads to thicken things out.
  • Lullaby_Melodia
    Lullaby_Melodia Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I heard that it is not 0 calorie but that it uses more calories to digest than it gives....
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    I'm sticking to ice cubes if I want to mindlessly snack. :-D
  • KCzing
    KCzing Posts: 10
    Options
    In the past when I did a research paper on eating disorders I found that on many pro-ana sites one of the tips most said was to eat "negative" calorie foods which they list as many fruits and veggies because like the poster above me said supposedly it takes more calories for our bodies to digest them then they actually contain.

I myself eat A LOT of fruits and veggies because when I did WW before I found that eating them was great since they were no points or low points so having plenty of servings of those for 0-1 points over a serving of say two cookies for 5 points when I was only allowed 22 points was much more fufilling. Plus the fiber keeps you full and keeps you pooping =)
  • plcarpenter
    plcarpenter Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Celery is only a delivery system for peanut butter anyway : )
  • Xandi
    Xandi Posts: 319
    Options
    so true!!!!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    14 calories doesn't seem to be enough to make or break it. :huh:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • donicagalek
    Options

My three year old licks the peanut butter and raisins off and leaves the naked stalk on the plate. X-D
  • Toridactyl
    Toridactyl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    So, let's say you went balls to the walls crazy and ate a whole package of celery in a fit of snacking rage.... 1 pound of celery (diced into about ½ in pieces) equals 4 ½ cups.

Congratulations - you've just eaten less than 70 calories. I think you burn that by blinking.

This is ridiculous.
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    I've only heard about the negative calorie thing too, not that it's actually 0 calories, but it is pretty darn close. Either way, it's one of the lowest calorie foods out there, so be super happy that you like it. I've tried it dozens of time hoping and praying that this time I would like it and I hate it even more than the last time.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    so true!!!!
    Ahh yes ;-)
  • audjrey
    audjrey Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Celery is rich in water and fiber, but it is also rich in sodium and sugar too. I think that's what makes filling a stalk of celery with 1-3 tsp of peanut butter such a great mid-day snack.

If your regular meals are higher in calories, fat, protein, fiber, sugar and sodium than your snacks, then you might want to stick to snacks with fewer calories, fat, etc., like Zero fat-free yogurt, air-popped popcorn without all the toppings, etc.

However, what it really comes down to is how you perceive food in general including meals and snacks, and how and what you eat in the rest of your meals.

Oh, and by the way, there are no 'real' zero calorie foods. Most zero foods are actually beverages including water, black coffee and 'some' herbal teas.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Oh, good grief!:huh: Celery is used in Western medicine as a way to lower blood pressure. It has nutrients in it, crazy woman! Enjoy it & don't worry about it. If it takes 3,500 extra calories to gain a POUND, you would need to eat enough celery to puke to gain an ounce!
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    so true!!!!
    Ahh yes ;-)

Actually cool fresh krispy celery is quite refreshing!
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options

LOL!
    I prefer ranch....or even hot sauce. Yum.
  • bsgrl1975
    Options
    i love celery and it is my fav snacking food & what ever the calories are its alot better than the ruffles or doritos i would normally be eating :)
  • Balishdear
    Options
    I used to hate celery, Now, its okay to me. If its such a low calorie food, I think I should use it as a snack. If you don't like peanut butter on your celery, does anyone have another suggestion for a topping to it?
  • ahappyapple
    ahappyapple Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I have forced myself to like it over the years by eating it with light ranch dressing.
  • donicagalek
    Options
    I'm not stressing the actual caloric value of celery, I was hopeful for a middle-of-the-night-I-woke-up-starving snack that I don't have to worry about remembering to log the next day. :-)