Wow!! I ate at Subway for lunch.....

Options
Wow!! I can't believe eating out has so many calories. I just ate at Subway a simple 6" Roast Beef flatbread with lite mayo...
with a half a serving of chips and a cookie. Now my calories are so high I am not sure if I should eat anymore.

Kinda joking, and very surprised.

What would you do? I don't feel like I ate a wholes days worth of food.

Replies

• heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    if it were me, i'd still eat dinner. :)

eating out can definitely be dangerous. i look up nutritional information online before i go out so i can plan what i'll order before i even get there.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    It's all about planning ahead and/or reading up on the nutritional info they have there. You can get outta Subway for 340 calories for a sandwich loaded with veggies and a side of a bag of apples instead of chips if you skip the cheese and mayo on the sandwich. The sodium will still be crazy because of meat, but that's standard for anyplace you eat out.

As for today, work out. Go for a walk or run and just burn some extra calories so you have some space for the rest of your meals.
  • Fayve
    Fayve Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I ate at Subway for lunch today too. Ended up at 280 calories for my sandwich, and I skipped the chips or cookies. Sodium is very high, but they have great low-fat options :)
  • Christie81
    Christie81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    if it were me, i'd still eat dinner. :)

eating out can definitely be dangerous. i look up nutritional information online before i go out so i can plan what i'll order before i even get there.

That's a great idea. Subway even has a sandwhich nutrition calculator that you can choose your bread, meat, chese, veggie, and sauses and it will calculate total calories. Just google it :) I would eat dinner, just try to plan better next time :flowerforyou:
  • WolffEarl
    WolffEarl Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I always found there is this lovely thing called " free vegetables". Whenever you feel hungry still, cook yourself up some mixed veggies and fill up a huge bowl and eat away. It is amazing how many cups of broccoli, beans, cauliflower, etc. it takes to add up to even 100 calories. Add what ever spices you want and you shall be stuffed. Along with a bit of tuna for the protein and all is good.
    Regarding subway.. a lot of the calories are in the bun itself. Sometimes it is worthwhile to simply take of the top part of the bun and not bother eating that, Tastes even better with the bread diluting the flavour.
  • tingharp
    tingharp Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for the help and encouragement. I've eaten at Subway before and just never realized it could add up the easily. I usually only eat out less then once a week now so a treat, like Subway was nice, but only when you also think its healthy, or more healthy then the alternatives. But then again this time it wasn't. Panda express, orange chicken bowls are about the same calories.
  • veggiemite13
    Options
    I would continue to eat and just make up the difference with exercise today or tomorrow. If your goal is to lose a lb a week then as long as your at the 2500kcal deficit for the week you should be ok.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Yea, sodium at fast food restaurants are outrageous! I would go ahead and eat dinner but just remember the next time you're out.
  • rikiOR
    rikiOR Posts: 13
    Options
    I was eating it quite a bit for a while but the sodium was off the charts!! I get the plain italian bread, tiny bit of light mayo and usually the chicken or turkey. NO COOKIES LOL
  • tethomas73
    tethomas73 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Yes, and the sodium is always high!! 6' sandwich over 1000mg..
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Which is one of several reasons I wouldn't ever even think of going to Subway! Though slightly behind the fact the nearest one to me is 17 miles away.
  • monicaP413
    monicaP413 Posts: 165
    Options
    I love going to Subway for lunch. I get a 6" with meat, honey mustard dressing & all the veggies, no mayo and no cheese and I end up eating around 300-400 calories. Like others said, the sodium is really high!! No cookies and no chips. Their minestrone soup is good and its only about 90 calories, but will fill up that extra emptiness!!
  • tingharp
    Options
    So I've walked for about 60 mins. today so I have more then 400 calories left for dinner.. yeah!
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    So I've walked for about 60 mins. today so I have more then 400 calories left for dinner.. yeah!

Good for you -- you earned it!
  • RitaPrior
    RitaPrior Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Glad you found a way to get enough room for a good dinner. Subway's calories comes from the bread, cheese, and mayo. You have to be very careful. Believe it or not, the white bread is the lowest calories. I always thought it was the wheat or oak or something. Now when I have subway, I get a foot long with no cheese. I only each 1 piece of bread (a half of a half). It's like an open face sandwich and its very filling.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Just a tip... cookies & chips are obviously going to add calories. Their cookies are each like 250 or higher. My usual is around 400 calories:

flatbread
    chicken breast
    pepperjack
    lettuce
    tomato
    red onion
    banana pepper
    avocado
    sweet onion sauce

This fills me up and I typically don't even want the cookies or chips. Sometimes I'll get the original Sun chips if I really have to eat up calories.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help and encouragement. I've eaten at Subway before and just never realized it could add up the easily. I usually only eat out less then once a week now so a treat, like Subway was nice, but only when you also think its healthy, or more healthy then the alternatives. But then again this time it wasn't. Panda express, orange chicken bowls are about the same calories.

but much higher in sodium and i'm sure there's a ton of sugar and FAKE sugar in the orange chicken.
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    when i go over or dont have enough to really last the rest of the day i whip out an exercise tape or take a walk so i can get back some of those cals. its also a deterent for eating "bad" because i dont want to have to work all those cals off.
  • bellamia88
    bellamia88 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I had subway for lunch yesterday. Footlong wheat with plain chicken strips lots of veggies and a bit of ranch came to 500 not bad at all I decided to skip these cheese and cookies this time and trust me its hard for me to walk into subway without leaving the place with their cookies lol. Like everyone said the key is planning everytime I go out I always log in the foods I'm thinking about to give me an idea of whether to get somethig else or not.
  • tingharp
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your help. I am not a huge fan of subway so I'll probably stick to my homemade sandwich's that are much smaller. :)