What do you do?

Options
I've just started measuring my food in the last couple weeks. I'm still not good about eye balling it at all! I'm going to a meeting tonight were they are going to have Spanish/Filipino style food.

Other that staying away from a lot of rice and fried foods and going towards the veggies is there anything else I can do?

Replies

• Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I've just started measuring my food in the last couple weeks. I'm still not good about eye balling it at all! I'm going to a meeting tonight were they are going to have Spanish/Filipino style food.

Other that staying away from a lot of rice and fried foods and going towards the veggies is there anything else I can do?
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Get a smaller plate and just have small amounts of each thing. Put the rest in a to-go box or give it to a hungry man:wink:
  • superduperbandnerd
    Options
    Cut back on some of your cals and carbs this afternoon, Save those so that you can indulge yourself a little without feeling guilty.. It's good to give you body a curve ball every now and then. Check out cal. or carb. cycling.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    O! and I read that if you eat with your non-dominant hand, you eat slower, there fore giving your body time to tell you it's full!
  • AshleySeay
    AshleySeay Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey. Are you working out? If so you really need to monitor your protein and carbs. Everybody wants to be afraid of carbs, but really your body needs them as much as it needs protein!

These are my tips for a beginner:
    -Drink at least 3 liters of water a day.
    -Eat 5 servings of fruit AND veggies everyday.
    -Limit fried food and cheese.
    -Limit processed sugars (soda, cookies, candy)
    -Eliminate fatty red meats (steak, hamburger meat)
    -Take a multi-vitamin, maybe with an energy supplement or metabolism booster like "One-A-Day Weight Watcher"
    -Concentrate on low fat white meats (chicken, fish, turkey) and nuts, peanut butter, or protein supplements like whey powder.
    -Milk, cottage cheese and eggs will help convert fat to muscle.
    -Eat 5-6 controlled portion, healthy meals a day to keep your metabolism going.

I'm a trainer at Gold's Gym and THIS IS A RECIPE FOR SUCCESS! Please ask if you have any questions, I am here to help! Great job getting started on here, it's very helpful.
  • NewMK08
    NewMK08 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Hey. Are you working out? If so you really need to monitor your protein and carbs. Everybody wants to be afraid of carbs, but really your body needs them as much as it needs protein!

These are my tips for a beginner:
    -Drink at least 3 liters of water a day.
    -Eat 5 servings of fruit AND veggies everyday.
    -Limit fried food and cheese.
    -Limit processed sugars (soda, cookies, candy)
    -Eliminate fatty red meats (steak, hamburger meat)
    -Take a multi-vitamin, maybe with an energy supplement or metabolism booster like "One-A-Day Weight Watcher"
    -Concentrate on low fat white meats (chicken, fish, turkey) and nuts, peanut butter, or protein supplements like whey powder.
    -Milk, cottage cheese and eggs will help convert fat to muscle.
    -Eat 5-6 controlled portion, healthy meals a day to keep your metabolism going.

I'm a trainer at Gold's Gym and THIS IS A RECIPE FOR SUCCESS! Please ask if you have any questions, I am here to help! Great job getting started on here, it's very helpful.

Huh, I'm reading this as I slurp down a Coke Zero. Figures! And 3 LITERS of water...How many ounces is that?? Anyone?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Drink as much water as you can stand before dinner so you won't be starving.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want and exercise like heck tomorrow morning. You'll enjoy the splurge. And eating a little extra sometimes is great for your metabolism.
  • missy0210
    Options
    A guide to help when you eat out:

1) follow a 3/4 plate rule - 1/4 of the plate should contain protein (meat or beans), and 3/4 of the plate should contain plant based foods (1/4 starchy - like bread, pasta, potatoes or corn & 1/2 plate fresh, colorful veggies)

2) Portion sizes:
    1 serving of meat - 3oz -is the size of the palm of your hand, or the size of a deck of playing cards - and the thickness of playing cards.
    1 serving of fat/oil/dressing is the size of the tip of your thumb or a book of matches
    1 serving of bread is the size and thickness of a cd case
    1 serving of fruit is the size of a tennis ball
    1 serving of veggies or 1 cup of starchy food, or 1 medium potato is the size of your fist or a baseball.

This guide has been helpful to me, and I use it when teaching nutrition classes.