SO frustrated

Options
I'm honestly almost ready to call it quits. Fruits and vegetables give me an allergic reaction (my mouth hurts/itches) I don't really have much control over WHAT food is in my house (there's always lots of sweets and junk food) I have a fractured foot, and it just feels like no matter WHAT I manage to do it's just not going to be enough. I've only lost 14 pounds within the 3 months I've been trying to lose weight, and I just gained 4 back. . . I definitely need some motivation and support if I'm going to keep doing this. I'll surely return the favor if anyone feels like adding me. :/

Replies

• pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You have done awesomely so far, don't give up as that is failing, what you've been doing so far is winning!!!!!

This is just a temporary set-back, it is up to you to decide if it is permanent or just a little blip on the radar.

*hugs*

GG
  • love3angle
    love3angle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    14 pounds is great! Don't give up! Do you have a stretch band or something to exercise your upper body while your foot is healing?
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Sorry you gained those few pounds but 14 pounds in 3 months is nothing to sneeze at that is great
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    don't give up!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My husband has a fractured heel and partially torn Achilles, so I know how frustrating it is.

Think of it as a detour. You'll get where you're going, so don't give up. You're just maybe stuck in traffic, or at a rest stop, until your foot heals. That's beyond your control, so nothing you should beat yourself up over.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! 14 lbs. is a great accomplishment. Feel free to add me. If you have a resistance band you could work both your upper body and the good leg. Stretching is good as well.
  • medavis510
    Options
    DO NOT GIVE UP! :heart: You have done a great job sticking with MFP for three months, and have hit a rough patch. Keep strong and push through this tough time!
    Have you seen a doctor about your itchy reaction to eating certain foods?
    I agree with resistance bands. They're good for toning. Maybe walking around with crutches?
  • chnkydnknmomma
    Options
    Don't give up! 14 lbs lost is awesome! Don't worry about the set-back. I have lost 90 lbs over the past 5 years and gained back 30...Yes, it is the pitts, but I am back on the right track...I understand the frustration, I have problems with my feet so walking/running/heavy aerobics are limited because it causes me a lot of pain, so I started doing water aerobics. That is much easier on my feet, but now my skin is all irritated from the super chlorine in my gym's pool. LOL, I can't win! But I won't give up, I alternate regular cardio with the pool, and deal with each issue as it comes up.

I don't know what you can do about the allergic reaction to fruits & veggies, but I'm sure there have to be some healthy alternatives, google it or ask your doctor. You might not be able to control what is brought into the house, but you can control what you put in your mouth. I use the Serenity Prayer, and substitute the word "change" with the word "control", it helps :)

As far as excersizing goes, there are also things you can do that don't involve your feet. I know there are some workouts you can do sitting in a chair, again, I'm not sure of the specifics, but you can find them if you look hard enough.

Stay positive...
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    first of all 14lbs is GREAT and nothing to sneeze at
    second the fruits & veggies. You might want to stay away from higher acid fruits & veggies, citrus, berries, tomatoes

Try one fruit or veggie at a time, say string beans or peas, for a few days. If theres no reaction, you can add another, like carrotts. If thats ok add another, etc. I get the same problem with high acid foods. May I suggest also rinsing your mouth out right after you eat to help minimize the discomfort?

As for exercise with your foot, any reason you cant do some upper body stuff to stay moving? some bicep curls or something.\
    I bet if you google exrcises you can do while sitting you'll find several

The important thing to realize is that this is a marathon NOT a sprint. The weight didnt go on overnite & it wont come off overnite either.

What happens if you quit? really? Will time stop? Or will you be 6 months older 6 months from now? Will you be the same weight or more? Or will you be less? Even if its 10 lbs 6 months from now, if time will pass anyway, you might as well be even 10lbs lighter. Then 10 more, then 10 more.

I understand how you feel. You work hard, eat all the healthy stuff & the scale doesnt move, I used to say "I'll wait for the magic pill I can take before I go to bed & wake up "skinny". Or I'll hit the lottery & get lipo. Guess what, neither ones going to happen (although I still have hopes for the lottery)

Repeat after me I CAN do this, I CAN DO THIS

Feel free to friend me if you think I can be of some support!
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Phew. You have some challenges. It’s a lot to deal with. And guess what? Despite that, you have still lost weight!

You have done it. No one else made it happen. Look how powerful you are!

Try to let go of perfection and stop paying attention to all the voices that say there’s only one right way to do this. Right now, the only thing you need to focus on is not going over your calorie goal. Nothing more.

Not eating certain foods, not balancing carbs & proteins. Just focus on not going over. Find success in doing that. Maintaining a calorie deficit means weight loss.

The rest of the stuff will come in time.
  • rainbowcheerios
    Options
    hey, thanks for the encouragement guys :] I don't have resistance bands but I'll try to get some! And about the doctor, I probably should go and get it checked out but it's exactly like my nut allergy which WAS confirmed by a doctor, but maybe there's a treatment to build immunity or something. I'm so glad 14 seems about right for 3 months. I know everyone loses differently but I guess I was expecting 10 EVERY month just like I set my goal for, which is unrealistic thinking about it more calmly.
  • kristarablue
    Options
    First of all, I want to let you know you are doing great and you are losing weight at a nice healthy paste and please be proud of yourself for that, you deserve to be commended for that. Really awesome job

Second, I know if feels like you have not control about what food is in your house. I am assuming you are still living at home. I don't know what your communication is like with your parents (I am assuming you are living with them), however I think it is acceptable for you to have a sit down with them to explain what your goals are and why and how they can assist and support you during your journey. Most parents want the best for their children, however we don't always know what that is, but you my dear need to self advocate in order to succeed. Advocate for yourself and your health and be strong, your parents will probably respect it and be proud of the amazing woman you have become. But, ultimately you will have to take responsibility for your own choices....understand this is difficult for the wisest amongst us so I am not judging or saying that you are not, I am speaking in general terms. So if the heart to heart doesn't work with your parents, you may have to cut out sweets cold turkey. This is what I had to do because I don't have control if I have any so I had to make the tough choice to never have sweets no matter what the venue or occasion, it was difficult at first, but it will become easier and your taste for sweets will diminish.

What ever you choose, we are here to support you and be your strength when you don't believe you have any. You know they say it take a village to raise a child, but I say it takes a village or in this case a website to support you and encompass you with support and love in order to succeed and trust me you will.

Take care and be strong.