Regularly over on protein ...

Options
So, I've noticed in my food diaries, that I'm pretty regularly over on protein (usually under on calories, except that one day ... stupid doughnut!). Is being over on protein "bad"? It's usually by no more than 10 grams.

I am working out more and more regularly, so I don't know if that comes into play when deciding if being over on protein is "bad" or not.

Anyone have a reasonably educated thought on this?

Thanks!! I appreciate it!

Heather
Username: Heatherjg0419

Replies

• SoldierDad
    SoldierDad Posts: 1,602
    Options
    Many many schools fo thoguth on this subject. I aim for as much protein as I cna get and moderate carbs!
  • ambivalence11
    ambivalence11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Protein helps build muscle and tends to be more filling than carbs. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you were going over on your carbs, I would worry, since those spike blood sugar and make it harder to loose weight. Just keep it within reason.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    If your set at MFP's default, it's actually kind of low (15%). 1 gr. per pound of body weight is usually considered okay.
  • adjones_21
    adjones_21 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I am usually always over on protein. But the way I see it is if you are working out, you need protein and lots of it!
  • coderedcoderedjkjk
    Options
    The levels are really low here, and if you're cutting calories then you are going to lose weight. This might come off your muscles though. Protein is essential in maintaining muscle mass and burning fat.
  • ekmbradley1982
    Options
    I'm also over on protein a lot, under on fat, under on everything, except sometimes I do break even on carbs. But I basically had the same question. I'm always under my calories goal, over on protein - and always starving!
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I'm usually over on protein too. Sometimes only by 29, yesterday was as high as 60, but I am usually under on calories. I try to keep my protein more than my carbs.

My theory is to not worry about that too much. So far it has worked for me.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I'm also over on protein a lot, under on fat, under on everything, except sometimes I do break even on carbs. But I basically had the same question. I'm always under my calories goal, over on protein - and always starving!

Are your carbs high fiber? Are your proteins coming from lean meat/nut sources?
  • Heatherjg0419
    Heatherjg0419 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Great, thanks for the advice. That was kind of what I was thinking about the protein, esp. since I've been working out more, even with weights.

I appreciate the support and information!

Thanks!
  • Volforlife83
    Volforlife83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you are doing a lot of working out (especially with weights), you should eat a good amount of protein. I work out 6 days a week and I try to eat at least 100 grams of protein per day. Protein helps build muscle and burn fat, so eat up! :)
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Ditto what everyone else has said. I have my goals set to 40% protein, 40% carbs and 20% fat since I workout 6 days/week. I'm a carb addict so limiting myself to only 40% is hard but I want to build lean muscle and burn fat so I stick with it.