I hate strength training is it necessary?

Options
Strength training is not my favorite thing, actually I dread it. I have a couple Jillian Michael's dvds ( 30 day shred, no more trouble zones) and I don't like them. I would much rather just do the elliptical, treadmill, or Turbo Jam. Is just doing cardio not helping me in my weight loss?

Replies

• RDH0513
    RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    That is kind of like strength training but have you ever done it in a gym? it is a little bit different... but you could still lose weight just by cardio, some people just run. But remember that muscle burns more calories at rest, so your burning calories even when your doing nothing. So if your weight loss ever slows, weight training would be a good way to mix it up. Good luck!
  • marysimmons
    marysimmons Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    STRENGTH TRAINNING IS SO GOOD FOR YOU AND HELPS YOU LOSE WEIGHT FASTER!!!! :}
  • hockeyfamily737
    Options
    According to my trainer..... Only 10 - 20 % of your weight loss will come from doing cardio. Strength training is a must, however he also said that there's no need to do strength training until you hurt for 2 days. Do it in moderation.
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Strength training is a BRILLIANT way to reach your weight loss goals with cardio.

Adding muscle and building muscle to your body will mean that you body will need to burn more due to the added muscle, and you will burn fat for longer if you do it in conjunction with cardio work.

For not only great weight loss but also fantastic health results you need to be incorporating some kind of strength training in your program. Eventually you can really look forward to this - I felt the same when lifting something remotely heavy was hard, but now I get so much out of doing it and I am seeing results with toning my body too.
  • krissy_pooo
    krissy_pooo Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    it's also good because weight training is what gives your muscles a defined look, and aids a lot in losing inches as opposed to just cardio. I agree that its a lot different in a gym- fun actually!
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I don't like those DVD's like 30 day shred etc because I can't do them they are too taxing on my muscles however I can lift weights so do those instead. I have a multi purpose home gym. Try lifting weights at the gym you may love it.
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Strength training is necessary if you want to have a nice shape once you reach your goal weight. If you don't build the muscle, you'll just end up being a smaller version of exactly what you look like today. You should be doing both cardio and strength for the best results with your eating plan.

I used to not like strength training either, but it became my favorite thing when I could start seeing small, shapely muscles emerging from my pillowy arms and tummy. Now I'm looking lean instead of flabby. I wear a size 4, but I weight 140 lbs. and I'm 5'3".

I had a teacher once tell me that if you hate it ......then that's where you need to work the most.....'cause we all tend to love and gravitate towards the things that come easily to us.

My best wishes to you in your journey!
  • jaydensmommy2010
    jaydensmommy2010 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with you about the 30 day shred, I was doing it for a while and it was just killing my knees. Now I haven't been doing that for at least a month and I feel so much better. I am not a jumping around kind of person haha!! Well I can't go to the gym anymore since I have a baby now so I try to do what I can at home, but I skip past the strength part...

I don't like those DVD's like 30 day shred etc because I can't do them they are too taxing on my muscles however I can lift weights so do those instead. I have a multi purpose home gym. Try lifting weights at the gym you may love it.
  • suzooz
    suzooz Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I find it hard to do strength training, too -- cardio is much more fun and you can see the calories burned increase (at least for the moment -- I understand the long-term burn of muscle vs. fat, but right now I'm into instant gratification.)

I have started my strength training using Wii Fit to make more of a game out of it. I have somewhat advanced beyond the Wii Fit for cardio (other than free step / free run), but it's the only way that I seem to be able to stay motivated to do the lunges and pushups!
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Here's my question - When you do the 30 day shred or NMTZ what size weights are you using? JM uses a circuit training method so if you feel like you are not able to do all the reps you might be using too heavy of weights to begin with (I started with 3 lbs). Also it's ok to only do one circuit a day as long as you are still doing cardio inwhich NMTZ is perfect for.

Strength Training is a great way to lose inches, help to reduce injuries, and build muscle and keep your bones strong as well. To help ease you into it pick one segment of NMTZ or try spreading it out with bicep curls in the morning, squats in the evening, etc. You might not get the high calorie burn but you will still be strengthening your muscles.
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Ive done it for 7 days and not used weights. I have some now and they are 1.5KG (3.3lb I think).

Not sure what it will be like using them, will see tomorrow.
  • BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    OMG! I am just the opposite...I hate cardio! To me it is so boring. I hit the gym 4-5 days per week, and every time I go, I try to psyche myself up to get on the bike, or walk the treadmill. But I continue to resort to the weights. I truly love strength training and the weights.

Yes its normal. We tend to work with what we like. But the worse part is, the exercise we don't like is sometimes the one that is the most beneficial.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Strength training helps a lot, but depending on your goals isn't necessary. Depending on intensity, cardio exercises can build muscle and BF% is the main factor for definition.

I don't believe we need to torture our selves exercising. If you do what you enjoy, you will have a better chance of sticking with it.

Plus, maybe in time you may decide to give strength training a shot.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    According to my trainer..... Only 10 - 20 % of your weight loss will come from doing cardio. Strength training is a must, however he also said that there's no need to do strength training until you hurt for 2 days. Do it in moderation.
    if 10-20% of weight loss comes form cardio, then 75% to 85% would be diet and 5% would be strenght training.

I think cardio has a much bigger effect on fat loss then strenght training. Cardio + diet are the keys to weight loss. Strenght training will do wonders to help you keep the fat off though so keep at it.
  • Mayor_West
    Mayor_West Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    if 10-20% of weight loss comes form cardio, then 75% to 85% would be diet and 5% would be strenght training.

I think cardio has a much bigger effect on fat loss then strenght training. Cardio + diet are the keys to weight loss. Strenght training will do wonders to help you keep the fat off though so keep at it.

Cardio doesn't have the metabolic effect that strength training does, at least not the standard, moderate-intensity, long-duration variety, either in the short- or long-term.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fat_loss_training_wars.htm
  • RZO42488
    RZO42488 Posts: 64
    Options

Cardio doesn't have the metabolic effect that strength training does, at least not the standard, moderate-intensity, long-duration variety, either in the short- or long-term.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/fat_loss_training_wars.htm

All true depending on your body type and what some people consider "working out". Just do it all (cardio + strength training + diet) and you'll be happy with the results.
  • dieseljay74
    dieseljay74 Posts: 376
    Options
    Strength training should be the basis of everything...I reached my goal of getting my six pack back almost solely on heavy training and diet...
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    OMG! I am just the opposite...I hate cardio! To me it is so boring. I hit the gym 4-5 days per week, and every time I go, I try to psyche myself up to get on the bike, or walk the treadmill. But I continue to resort to the weights. I truly love strength training and the weights.

Yes its normal. We tend to work with what we like. But the worse part is, the exercise we don't like is sometimes the one that is the most beneficial.

Try taking your cardio outside. I HATE running on the treadmill but once I started trail running I can't get enough! Plus I get to bring my dog or meet up with friends for a hike or jog.
  • MaryinBflo
    MaryinBflo Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I do think strength training is important because remember muscle burns fat. You want to speed up your metabolism then you n eed to strength train. Strength training has never been my favorite but fight now I'm doing Chalean Extreme beachbody program and I love it. She teaches you how to lift weights and there is cardio mixed in plus you can do your own thing for cardio to supplement the program.

Ahother thing is you could try adding body resistnace exercises into your cardio you don't have to lift weights to be doing strentgh training. Antythin that puts resisntance on your muscles will help. Like some good old fashioned push ups! Good luck!