Exersizes after back surgery

Options
I had major back surgery the past two years which didn't help to add on the pounds.. I am having a hard time finding exercises that I can do and not be in horrible pain. I have wanted to try P90X but not sure if I should. Walking is good but I need a new treadmill as my stinks... I can not bend or twist at the waist and can not lift more than 10 lbs as of now. Didn't know if there was anyone else in the same boat as me who would know what are some good easy effective exercises to try.

thanks

Replies

• edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    you shouldn't do P90X at all.

you can Google exercises that are maybe low impact.

you could check out those walk at home DVD's (Leslie Sansone) that doesn't require a treadmill.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 weeks out from minor (is there such a thing?) back surgery (read, no fusing or screws... yet) and bored out of my mind just being able to walk or do the stationary bike.

You might be able to do a lot of P90x... pull ups, push ups.lunges. I am sure there are many parts that you would have to modify, but I did it back when I was in back pain so I had to modify it somewhat. The abs program is great though if you can do at least parts of those that will help tons with the whole stable core thing. ... but you definitely lift (or use bands to equivalent) a lot more than 10 lbs, so if you stuck at 10 lbs your progress would be a lot slower and it might not be totally worth it.)
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    My mother is in this situation. DO NOT DO PX90 with your limitations. You'll really hurt yourself. You should try water areobics. You're virtually weightless in the water. Make sure you wear water shoes so you don't slip on the wet tile. Target has them on the shelf already. Many local high schools and community centers have pools that you can use sometimes free. Also, some gyms do a pool only membership. I would be really careful and consult with your doctor first. Good Luck and way to stay motivated.
  • Munchiemooka
    Munchiemooka Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Palities is good especially if you can find a class that works with client with issue you have
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i would ask your doctor of physical therapist. they should know.
  • sandmart2009
    sandmart2009 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I suggest to ask for your doctor's advise first, just to be on the safe side. Good luck!
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    Didn't you go to physical therapy? P90X is not for you without your doctors, as in surgeon and therapists, blessing. I have back, neck, and shoulder issues. None that require surgery yet, but I am still restricted to what I can do. Including certain moves in P90X and something as simple as a barbell bench press. I substitute moves the Dr approves of.

Funny, I can't shovel dirt, mulch, snow, etc.. yet i can carry a tree on my shoulders back and forth from woods to where I cut to length and split, without issue. I can leg press half a ton but can't squat 100 pounds. I can row 500 seated, but can't row 40 bent over. Ya gotta stick to moves that don't mess with your back!
  • burlyn12
    burlyn12 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks all, I am going to go back to the doctor to see what i can do, i am NOT having another surgery but I need to get stronger and lose weight. Wish me luck!