Who knew that I was SO far off on my calories..... I KNOW th

Options
I'm 500 calories over on my first day and the little calculator said I would be a full pound heavier in 5 weeks..... YIKES!!!!!!

Ultimately I just want to be healthy and lose 25 pounds so I can be proud of myself and I can stand to look at the mirror again.... I HATE back-fat!!!

Replies

• kissyfur26
    kissyfur26 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I usually look up what I plan to eat before I actually eat something. Especially when I go out to eat. If I plan ahead I can usually stay within my calories for the day. Plus, if you eat something and then enter the info it's too late to do anything since you've already eaten : ) Be proactive!!!
  • Hikaroo
    Hikaroo Posts: 16
    Options
    Well, cutting back volume and still having what you love is always a good idea!
    I use my small plates instead of my dinner plates. I don't try to fill them as full. :D

The concept of calories is sometimes really hard to keep up with and pay attention to. My problem was the opposite, not eating enough calories, thus sabotaging my metabolism.

I'm sure you can do it, you have far less weight to lose than myself, for sure!
  • jstepp14
    jstepp14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree with plugging the food in, BEFORE you eat it. I almost got burned a couple weeks ago, not realizing how many calories my daily menu had. I realized at lunch time, that by dinner, I would only be able to eat half of what I had prepared, and I knew that it would leave me still hungry, therefore in a prime position to make a bad decision. That day was my usual 'rest' day, away from exercise, but I went ahead and spent 90 minutes doing step aerobics & rhythm boxing, just so I could free up the calories to have my appropriately portioned dinner.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    It's DAY ONE you are learning.

Give yourself a break.

You WILL learn where to cut back on and what to enjoy (with out guilt!!!!)

(I just logged for my first week so that I could see what I was putting in me. It made it easier to make changes that I could live with)
  • Jami22
    Jami22 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I usually look up what I plan to eat before I actually eat something. Especially when I go out to eat. If I plan ahead I can usually stay within my calories for the day. Plus, if you eat something and then enter the info it's too late to do anything since you've already eaten : ) Be proactive!!!
    haha I have starting making my husband made because I have to know where we are going before we go out to eat so I can look at the calories ahead of time! Gotta do what you gotta do! :tongue:
  • Rebjones612
    Rebjones612 Posts: 408
    Options

Me too! I always have my phone out and looking up what I can eat before we get there.
    It helps to prepare ahead!
  • iamwildarose
    iamwildarose Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My first couple of days I had those "I ATE HOW MANY!!!" moments. :wink:
    I also force myself to excercise additionally to make up for those overages- really makes me think more--is this piece of cheese worth 10 more minutes on the elliptical....NOPE not for me!

I still occasionally have OOPS moments. You figure out what works for you & learn from mistakes.
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I was journaling my food about a month before I found MFP and I thought that looking at how little I was eating was good enough until I hit a horrible plateau. Then, I started plugging my food into MFP and realized that it wasn't how little I was eating, it was what I was eating! I now have a pretty good sense of what a portion size is and if you eat the same foods regularly, you start to remember how many calories they have in them. Before I go out to eat, though, I always look up the menu and try to get a feel of what I can have based on how many calories I'm willing to eat and it's worked. Don't be too hard on yourself, once you get the hang of it, you'll do great!