low fat high calorie foods

Options
today was my first day and i love this site!!! after filling in my daily food diary i need to change my foods to low fat high calorie foods, snacks. The only problem is im allergic to dairy,breads (with yeast) products, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks:smile:

Replies

• holly0623
    holly0623 Posts: 66
    Options
    dried fruits!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what your reasoning is to want low fat / high calorie food. Certain fat's are good. For example an avocado is high fat (good fat) and high calorie. The same with nuts too.
  • tazmom71
    tazmom71 Posts: 4
    Options
    well my calorie intake was low and my fat intake was way to high in my daily food diary, the message thing came up saying im putting my body in starvation mode, which explains why i havent been losing the weight despite working out at the gym....
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Corn products, like pirate's booty, are typically low fat. Kind of empty calories though. Fruits have low/no fat. Avocados are high cal and high fat but it's the "good" fat. Nuts too, walnuts have a ton ofw calories. Why low fat, high cal?
  • skramer13
    skramer13 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Granola! I absolutely LOVE the stuff. Mix some in with yogurt, eat it like cereal, make a fruit parfait - it's incredibly versatile. Walmart (or Meijer, if you live in a state that has it) even has these little prepackaged apple slice/plain yogurt/granola combo snacks that are great to grab for work or class.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I see you answered my quesetion while I was typing it. But I'm not sure that low fat high cal foods are really the way to go about fixing your problem, since a lot of them contain sugar or sugar substitutes which will definitely not help you lo weight. Try researching low glycemic index foods and trying to fill your meals with those instead.
  • gp79
    Options
    Could you make your diary available? Without seeing it, I think that maybe you just need to make better food choices. If you are looking for low fat high calorie foods, that could imply you are eating high fat / low calorie foods? It sounds contradicting.

Low fat / high cal foods are going to be your complex carbohydrates, like brown / wild rices, baked potato, baked sweet potato, oatmeal (rolled / steel cut) etc.
  • tazmom71
    tazmom71 Posts: 4
    Options
    ok my diary is available to look at, thanks for the suggestions...............
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary... how can the potato and turkey soup have 24 grams of fat, but no carbs or proteins?? Something is weird there. (Ditto the beef goulash).
  • gp79
    Options
    Thanks for making the diary available. I'm going to recommend you log everything you eat because from what I can tell you only have one day of logging your intake. You're still learning how to log it correctly because there are a few items in there with severely incorrect values ...beef goulash with 5 calories and no nutritional value. If that exists, I need that recipe.

Remember, good data in, good data out. Eat balanced meals, don't starve yourself, set goals and give it 30 days of constant logging and then check your stats via the reports section. 30 days is no time at all and worth the wait for a little bit of analytical data to make some changes off of.

In the meantime, concentrate on eating 0.6 to 0.8g of protein for every pound. This will ensure you minimize the amount of lean tissue lost during your weight loss. Protein sources are things like lean meat (poultry, beef, fish), greek yogurt, certain dairy / vegetables have good protein values. Good complex carbohydrates such as potatoes (sweet and regular), vegetables, oats, whole grain items etc.

Good fats come from olive / canola oil, avocados, olives, fish, tree nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts) and their nut butters, flax products etc.

Good luck
  • lalilalu
    lalilalu Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Yeah, something's up with the way you are logging food. Surely you didn't only eat 1.5 grams of beef goulash for diiner? That's like a 1/4 teaspoon......
  • Matchamatcha
    Matchamatcha Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant, and since starting this I realised I was always low on calcium. So I've started to eat soy yoghurt, and soy icecream (not often though, it's a poor comparison to real icecream), and calcium supplements on days when I'm under. I think you can only absorb about 1/4 - 1/3 of your daily calcium intake in one sitting though, so it's good to keep that in mind and space your calcium out.

You don't seem to have many veg? Salads are always good, and you can find a dressing that suits your calorie needs high or low. You could also try to get fats more from avocados, olive oil, nuts etc. and keep your meat lean (buying lean cuts/mince or cutting off the fat).

Your diary seems to be quite empty though. You should try and log every single thing you eat, even on days when you go over. That way'll you have a better overall picture. Also helps to change your settings so you can see sugar/sodium/calcium/etc. intakes.

If you're stuck for recipe ideas, sites like www.cookinglight.com have heaps and they contain all the nutritional info - cals, protein, fat, carbs etc. at the bottom of each recipe. That's just the one I've been using but I'm sure there's lots of alternatives also.
  • jdavis193
    jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I started buying the sunflower nuts roasted but no salt. Great snack... it is high in fat but the good fat you want.