A SENSITIVE question for the female runners. . .

Options
So I run around 5mi/day 5-6 days/wk, my problem is around 2.5mi my nipples start get really sensitive! It really frickin hurts! They've kinda deflated since I've lost weight so not sure if that plays a part. Ive tried sports bras with the cups and thats worse. Band-aids help while I'm running but I sweat alot so have to use water proof then I'm raw from taking them off. Any ideas ladies? Thanx

Replies

• toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    Vaseline.
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Have you tried
    1.) Body glide
    2.) duct tape
    3.) A tighter sports bra made of a non-cotton material? I like wicking spandex ones - no cups, no seams!
  • Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Vaseline.

really? that would be awesome if it works!

do they hurt b/c they're rubbing on fabric?

i have mine pierced and they're sensitive ALL THE TIME! : / i don't like working out in a gym for many reason, but one is i have NHO'S the ENTIRE TIME! LOL! eek!
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    It's called runner's nipple. For real! Men and women get it. You essentially need to put band-aids or something on them to prevenet the friction. I think there may be some specail tape you can buy, especially at runner's stores, that you can put on and shouldn't hurt to remove.

Hope this helps some, but I heard it's also very common amongst runners.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    This happens for men too. I would go into a running store and ask for some suggestions. I know they make stuff, but I don't know what it is. How about breast feeding pads-I know weird, but hey. I am nursing now and wear them. They have nipple shield things all over and at motherhood stores too. Just a few suggestions. Hope you find something!!
  • ldybugg
    ldybugg Posts: 134
    Options
    duct tape?!? ouch. ill try the others though.
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    absolutely- vaseline. You can try all the other products but this works best and is cheepest. And, go get fitted for a new sports bra (most any running store can help you there) you have probably changed sizes.
  • ldybugg
    Options

do they hurt b/c they're rubbing on fabric?

i have mine pierced and they're sensitive ALL THE TIME! : / i don't like working out in a gym for many reason, but one is i have NHO'S the ENTIRE TIME! LOL! eek!

yes its because of the friction. I actually took my rings out because they were much worse with them in. I also have constant NHO's. Most of the time I just wear a dark/pattern top but sometimes I forget and pack a light one. I know its rude to point but I'm not going to let it stop me from a good work out!
  • Tiana405
    Tiana405 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    ha ha ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    what are NHO'S?
  • Maztastic
    Maztastic Posts: 43
    Options
    what are NHO'S?

I've not seen that acronym previously, but I'm guessing from the context "nipple hard on".
  • ldybugg
    Options
    you are correct!
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    what are NHO'S?

It's when your nipples go erect ("nipple hard-on"). Isn't it amazing what people invent euphemisms for?
  • cng1117
    cng1117 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks!!! Got the "n" right, it was the rest that had me stumped!! Will definately remember that one :laugh:
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have an ill-fitting sports bra. I'd go get yourself fitted. Once my sports bra is on my breasts don't move inside of it, especially not enough to actually chafe my nipples. Guys have it happen because their shirts are rubbing against their nipples as they run since there isn't anything between them and the shirt, but with a properly fitting sports bra, it really shouldn't be an issue for women.