Least calorific soups out there?

Options
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone could suggest which are the least calorific soups out there?

Having Heinz cream of tomato today- not as good as i thought...

Sarah

Replies

• peteloafer
    peteloafer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    hi

if you're tlaking about tinned soups the word to avoid is "cream"

In the Heinz range Vegetable, Minestrone and Scotch Broth are all nutritious tasty and lower calories
    than the "Cream of" ones.

Good luck

Pete
  • helenmelon29
    helenmelon29 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Do you mean tinned? I generally stay away from anything that says 'cream of.....'

Ive had this week a Marks and Spencers tin of chunky ve and chilli bean that was nice.

I usually get baxters Carrot and butterbean too.

Or just make veg soup with a little bacon in for flavour.x
  • SlimmingSarah
    Options
    Ohh my goodness! Campbells Chicken and Corn is low calorie and delicious!
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I tend to avaoid canned soups all together and just make my own...it doesnt really take too long
  • sjf1982
    sjf1982 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks Pete,

Good advice :)

Sarah
  • sjf1982
    sjf1982 Posts: 13
    Options
    Yep... tinned soups arn't ideal...i was wondering about other brands perhaps i.e covent garden soups...
    Maybe these just look more healthy due to good pakaging :)

Sarah
  • booboocraig
    Options
    Sainsburys be good to yourself range of soups are nice...otherwise I make them myself :)
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    My favorite is to take two cups of chicken broth, drop in 3 egg whites, and cook on the stove until the egg cooks in the broth. Put 2 cups of fresh spinach in a bowl, and pour the soup over it. Depending on the broth, this is about 10 cal for broth, 51 for the egg whites, and 20 for the spinach. I usually add turkey meatballs (I cut up 2 or 3, the ones I use are 50 cal each.) It is VERY filling and very tasty!
  • Keightisgr8
    Keightisgr8 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Is everyone that is saying "tinned" from Europe? I have no suggestions for soups, I just read this thread and noticed we call them "canned". I am a sucker for ramen noodles/ricenoodles with veggie broth :) Watch your sodium though!
  • lynn04a
    lynn04a Posts: 5
    Options
    Have you tried Tesco Ligher Choice - chicken noodle and sweetcorn, carrot and corriander are good. But as others say there is nothing like home make soup - stock and any veg (including frozen mixed veg!) blended is so easy to make, add some herbs or chilli flakes if you want to spice it up.
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Diet Chef and their soups are low cal, very filling and full of good things BUT you cant order separately BUT Rosemary Conley Solo does them which you can order separately and have delivered. Her portion pots and magic measure is great too.
  • c4t2001
    c4t2001 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been having half a carton of the Covent Garden Plum Tomato and Marscapone soup. This is really tasty - quite a big portion - filling so I don't need bread and the half carton is 155 calories. I think their Minestrone is also nice - this is 111 for half a carton I think.

Homemade - really filling soup - broccoli, pea and mint. Soften an onion, add head of broccoli and about 500g peas, 1L veg stock and a couple of sprigs of mint on top. Cook for 20-30 mins until soft. Remove the mint and then whizz up. Lovely. No need for bread - so filling. This quantity will probably do 4 portions at least.
  • ElliMC
    ElliMC Posts: 53
    Options
    covent garden soups are really good - love their chicken, mushroom and moroccan tagine ones!
    otherwise you can make your own. my favourite is chilli tomato with just a little light creme freiche!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    In general, soups in tins and packets are high fat/salt/calories unless they expressly say so and even then, only low in one or two. I've abandoned them all together :(

On the other hand, I've been having things like easybean stew/soup and they are low cal/low salt/low fat. Also 'stewed nourish your soul' pots too. Not really soups, as such, more like stews, but v filling and nutritious.

Links: http://www.easybean.co.uk/ and http://www.steweduk.co.uk/ but I can mine from Waitrose/Tesco.
  • lindainak
    lindainak Posts: 101
    Options
    I buy organic five grain rolled cereal in bulk. Add all kinds of nuts/seeds and ground flax seed. One half cup of mixed cereal and nuts topped with fresh berries/fruit or heaven forbid dried fruit and pour organic skim milk on top and viola breakfast!

Sometimes I cheat and mix in some of the Kashi cereals for more crunch.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I make homemade cabbage because I LOVE it. But it's bad for uhmm..side effects :wink: